The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I think OBP and SLG (OPS) are the two most valuable offensive stats to look at. I used to be all about the Triple Crown stats but as time has gone on I think you understand that getting on base and getting extra base hits are the most important things for an offense.
I agree with OPS. I also like WAR a lot.

Reactions: VolPack22
I agree with OPS. I also like WAR a lot.
I do like to use WAR as a tiebreaker for MVP if it’s a close race. Only thing I will say is that Ken Griffey Jr only had a 83.8 career WAR. You can’t tell me there are 56 players in the history of baseball that were better than that guy. I know a lot of that has to do with injuries so we kind of look at his career in about a 10 year vacuum but still.

On September 28 in Baseball History...
  • 1905 - In a game that helps decide the pennant, the A's beat the White Sox 3-2 as Topsy Hartsel scores from second base with the winning run in the seventh inning. An RBI single by Harry Davis to short left hits Hartsel's mitt, which the left fielder had left in the outfield when he came off the field.

• 1919 - In the shortest nine-inning game in Major League history, 51 minutes, the New York Giants beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 6-1.

• 1920 - A grand jury indicted eight members of the Chicago White Sox on charges of fixing the 1919 World Series in the "Black Sox Scandal."

• 1930 - The Cubs bring down the season's curtain as Hack Wilson has his 189th and 190th RBI in a 12-11 victory over the Reds. Wilson's Major League RBI record will remain untouched. With Riggs Stephenson and Kiki Cuyler each driving in 100 runs, the Cubs have the first all-100 RBI outfield in the 20th century. The Boston outfield in 1894 also had the same credentials.

• 1932 - In the opening game of the World Series, Lou Gehrig's home run leads the Yankees to a 12-6 win over the Cubs.

• 1935 - With nothing on the line, the pennant winning Cubs finally lose to the Cardinals and snap their 21-game win streak. The skein is the longest in the majors since the Giants of 1916 when New York won 26 games and tied one. However, Chicago's win streak is the longest without a tie since 1880.

• 1938 - Gabby Hartnett hit his famous "Homer in the Gloamin" as darkness descended at Wrigley Field in the ninth inning to give the Chicago Cubs a 6-5 victory, their ninth straight. It was a key victory en route to the Cubs' National League pennant.

• 1941 - Ted Williams went 6-for-8 in a doubleheader against the Philadelphia A's to finish the season with a .406 average. No player has batted .400 since.

• 1947 - On the season's last day, the St. Louis Browns, desperate for a ticket seller, bring announcer Dizzy Dean in to pitch against the White Sox. Diz gives up only three hits in four innings and laces a clean single in his only at bat, but a pulled leg muscle forces his retirement. The White Sox score all their runs in the ninth to win 5-2. Even with Diz, the game draws less than 16,000, and the Browns finish the year with only 320,000 attendance, less than half that of 1946.

• 1951 - Allie Reynolds pitched his second no-hitter of the season as the New York Yankees defeated the Boston Red Sox, 8-0, in the opener of a doubleheader. The Yankees clinched the American League pennant with an 11-3 victory in the second game.

• 1955 - The Yanks win the first game of the World Series as Whitey Ford beats Don Newcombe, 6-5. In a controversial play with Frank Kellert at bat, Jackie Robinson steals home in the eighth to bring the Dodgers to within a run of a tie.

• 1959 - In the first game of a best-of-three playoff, the Dodgers beat the Braves 3-2 in a cold Milwaukee drizzle. Rookie Larry Sherry pitches 7 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. In a losing cause, Eddie Mathews hits his 46th home run to win the title. Ernie Banks finishes with 45.

• 1960 - In his final major-league plate appearance, against Baltimore's Jack Fisher, Ted Williams picks out a 1-1 pitch and drives it 450 feet into the right-center field seats behind the Boston bullpen. It is Williams' 521st and last home run, putting him third on the all-time list. The blast gives the seventh-place Red Sox a 5-4 victory. Williams stays in the dugout, ignoring the crowd's cheers, but when he trots out to left field in the ninth, he is replaced immediately by Carroll Hardy. He retires as a standing crowd roars.

• 1965 - In his 2,000th career game, Willie Mays hits his 51st home run of the year, but the Giants lose to St. Louis 8-6.

• 1971 - Baltimore achieves 108 wins for the season with a doubleheader sweep at Boston, 10-2, and 5-4. The Orioles become only the third team to win 100 games in three straight seasons.

• 1974 - Nolan Ryan pitched his third of seven career no-hitters, striking out 15 as the California Angels beat the Minnesota Twins, 4-0, at Anaheim Stadium.

• 1975 - Vida Blue, Glenn Abbott, Paul Lindblad and Rollie Fingers of the Oakland A's combined to no-hit the California Angels, 5-0, on the final day of the season.

• 1979 - Switch-hitting Cardinals shortstop Garry Templeton collects three hits against the Mets and becomes the first player to get 100 hits from each side of the plate. During the last nine games, he batted exclusively righthanded to set the record.

• 1985 - Cincinnati's Tom Browning becomes the first rookie since Bob Grim in 1954 to win 20 games, raising his record to 20-9 with a 5-2 win over Houston. He is the first Reds pitcher to win 20 since Jim Merritt in 1970.

• 1987 - Kevin Seitzer becomes the first rookie since Tony Oliva and Dick Allen in 1964 to collect 200 hits.

• 1988 - In his last start of the regular season, Orel Hershiser pitches ten shutout innings to extend his consecutive-scoreless-inning streak to 59, breaking Dodger Don Drysdale's Major League record by one. San Diego's Andy Hawkins also pitches ten shutout innings and the Padres eventually win 2-1 on Mark Parent's home run in the bottom of the 16th.

• 1995 - Greg Harris of the Montreal Expos became the first MODERN Major Leaguer to pitch with both arms. Harris faced four batters, two from his usual right side and two from the left, in the ninth inning of a 9-7 loss to Cincinnati.

• 1997 - San Diego's Tony Gwynn tied Honus Wagner's record by winning his eighth National League batting title. Gwynn finished at .372, becoming the first to win four consecutive National League batting titles since Rogers Hornsby won six straight from 1920-25.

Reactions: cardvolfan and MAD
I do like to use WAR as a tiebreaker for MVP if it’s a close race. Only thing I will say is that Ken Griffey Jr only had a 83.8 career WAR. You can’t tell me there are 56 players in the history of baseball that were better than that guy. I know a lot of that has to do with injuries so we kind of look at his career in about a 10 year vacuum but still.
Yeah, I hear you. The “greatest Cardinal” discussion is going on amongst fans concerning Musial vs. Pujols. WAR favored Musial at 128 vs. 101, due in some part to Pujols’ injuries. Personally, it’s Musial for me as I believe the stats bear it out.

Yeah, I hear you. The “greatest Cardinal” discussion is going on amongst fans concerning Musial vs. Pujols. WAR favored Musial at 128 vs. 101, due in some part to Pujols’ injuries. Personally, it’s Musial for me as I believe the stats bear it out.
Not really a stat but you have to weigh in longevity, imo.
A guy like Pujols has done it at a high level for a long time.
Eddie Murray for instance, was good for a LOOONG time, but not necessarily at a high level.
Griffey Jr could’ve rewritten the record books possibly, if he could’ve stayed healthy.
As far as greatest player, I don’t ever compare eras, it’s just too difficult. It’s fun to have the type of argument between fans, like Musial vs Pujols.
The game has changed so much that I can’t take away from what a guy like Musial did nor can I penalize a guy like Pujols just because guys train year round and have so many more benefits in today’s game.
I always like to think about the Babe trying to hit a Nolan Ryan fastball!😎

Reactions: VolPack22
Not really a stat but you have to weigh in longevity, imo.
A guy like Pujols has done it at a high level for a long time.
Eddie Murray for instance, was good for a LOOONG time, but not necessarily at a high level.
Griffey Jr could’ve rewritten the record books possibly, if he could’ve stayed healthy.
As far as greatest player, I don’t ever compare eras, it’s just too difficult. It’s fun to have the type of argument between fans, like Musial vs Pujols.
The game has changed so much that I can’t take away from what a guy like Musial did nor can I penalize a guy like Pujols just because guys train year round and have so many more benefits in today’s game.
I always like to think about the Babe trying to hit a Nolan Ryan fastball!😎
Yeah, all good points. A different perspective taking in the era of accomplishment could certainly be a factor.

Yeah, all good points. A different perspective taking in the era of accomplishment could certainly be a factor.
I think if you look at it like this, all things are equal.
What I mean is,
A guy in the ‘30’s who smoked, drank, had numerous girlfriends, worked on the docks in the off-season and hit 20 HR’s, is equal to a guy in ‘22 who weight trains with the most advanced equipment, has numerous trainers and dieticians, specialty coaches, advanced statistics and scouting, who hits 40 HR’s.

I think if you look at it like this, all things are equal.
What I mean is,
A guy in the ‘30’s who smoked, drank, had numerous girlfriends, worked on the docks in the off-season and hit 20 HR’s, is equal to a guy in ‘22 who weight trains with the most advanced equipment, has numerous trainers and dieticians, specialty coaches, advanced statistics and scouting, who hits 40 HR’s.
You mean baseball players back then actually did all that? 😂😂😂

On September 28 in Baseball History...

• 1905 - In a game that helps decide the pennant, the A's beat the White Sox 3-2 as Topsy Hartsel scores from second base with the winning run in the seventh inning. An RBI single by Harry Davis to short left hits Hartsel's mitt, which the left fielder had left in the outfield when he came off the field.

• 1919 - In the shortest nine-inning game in Major League history, 51 minutes, the New York Giants beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 6-1.

• 1920 - A grand jury indicted eight members of the Chicago White Sox on charges of fixing the 1919 World Series in the "Black Sox Scandal."

• 1930 - The Cubs bring down the season's curtain as Hack Wilson has his 189th and 190th RBI in a 12-11 victory over the Reds. Wilson's Major League RBI record will remain untouched. With Riggs Stephenson and Kiki Cuyler each driving in 100 runs, the Cubs have the first all-100 RBI outfield in the 20th century. The Boston outfield in 1894 also had the same credentials.

• 1932 - In the opening game of the World Series, Lou Gehrig's home run leads the Yankees to a 12-6 win over the Cubs.

• 1935 - With nothing on the line, the pennant winning Cubs finally lose to the Cardinals and snap their 21-game win streak. The skein is the longest in the majors since the Giants of 1916 when New York won 26 games and tied one. However, Chicago's win streak is the longest without a tie since 1880.

• 1938 - Gabby Hartnett hit his famous "Homer in the Gloamin" as darkness descended at Wrigley Field in the ninth inning to give the Chicago Cubs a 6-5 victory, their ninth straight. It was a key victory en route to the Cubs' National League pennant.

• 1941 - Ted Williams went 6-for-8 in a doubleheader against the Philadelphia A's to finish the season with a .406 average. No player has batted .400 since.

• 1947 - On the season's last day, the St. Louis Browns, desperate for a ticket seller, bring announcer Dizzy Dean in to pitch against the White Sox. Diz gives up only three hits in four innings and laces a clean single in his only at bat, but a pulled leg muscle forces his retirement. The White Sox score all their runs in the ninth to win 5-2. Even with Diz, the game draws less than 16,000, and the Browns finish the year with only 320,000 attendance, less than half that of 1946.

• 1951 - Allie Reynolds pitched his second no-hitter of the season as the New York Yankees defeated the Boston Red Sox, 8-0, in the opener of a doubleheader. The Yankees clinched the American League pennant with an 11-3 victory in the second game.

• 1955 - The Yanks win the first game of the World Series as Whitey Ford beats Don Newcombe, 6-5. In a controversial play with Frank Kellert at bat, Jackie Robinson steals home in the eighth to bring the Dodgers to within a run of a tie.

• 1959 - In the first game of a best-of-three playoff, the Dodgers beat the Braves 3-2 in a cold Milwaukee drizzle. Rookie Larry Sherry pitches 7 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. In a losing cause, Eddie Mathews hits his 46th home run to win the title. Ernie Banks finishes with 45.

• 1960 - In his final major-league plate appearance, against Baltimore's Jack Fisher, Ted Williams picks out a 1-1 pitch and drives it 450 feet into the right-center field seats behind the Boston bullpen. It is Williams' 521st and last home run, putting him third on the all-time list. The blast gives the seventh-place Red Sox a 5-4 victory. Williams stays in the dugout, ignoring the crowd's cheers, but when he trots out to left field in the ninth, he is replaced immediately by Carroll Hardy. He retires as a standing crowd roars.

• 1965 - In his 2,000th career game, Willie Mays hits his 51st home run of the year, but the Giants lose to St. Louis 8-6.

• 1971 - Baltimore achieves 108 wins for the season with a doubleheader sweep at Boston, 10-2, and 5-4. The Orioles become only the third team to win 100 games in three straight seasons.

• 1974 - Nolan Ryan pitched his third of seven career no-hitters, striking out 15 as the California Angels beat the Minnesota Twins, 4-0, at Anaheim Stadium.

• 1975 - Vida Blue, Glenn Abbott, Paul Lindblad and Rollie Fingers of the Oakland A's combined to no-hit the California Angels, 5-0, on the final day of the season.

• 1979 - Switch-hitting Cardinals shortstop Garry Templeton collects three hits against the Mets and becomes the first player to get 100 hits from each side of the plate. During the last nine games, he batted exclusively righthanded to set the record.

• 1985 - Cincinnati's Tom Browning becomes the first rookie since Bob Grim in 1954 to win 20 games, raising his record to 20-9 with a 5-2 win over Houston. He is the first Reds pitcher to win 20 since Jim Merritt in 1970.

• 1987 - Kevin Seitzer becomes the first rookie since Tony Oliva and Dick Allen in 1964 to collect 200 hits.

• 1988 - In his last start of the regular season, Orel Hershiser pitches ten shutout innings to extend his consecutive-scoreless-inning streak to 59, breaking Dodger Don Drysdale's Major League record by one. San Diego's Andy Hawkins also pitches ten shutout innings and the Padres eventually win 2-1 on Mark Parent's home run in the bottom of the 16th.

• 1995 - Greg Harris of the Montreal Expos became the first MODERN Major Leaguer to pitch with both arms. Harris faced four batters, two from his usual right side and two from the left, in the ninth inning of a 9-7 loss to Cincinnati.

• 1997 - San Diego's Tony Gwynn tied Honus Wagner's record by winning his eighth National League batting title. Gwynn finished at .372, becoming the first to win four consecutive National League batting titles since Rogers Hornsby won six straight from 1920-25.
1919 😮 51 minute 9 inning ballgame

VN Store

Back