The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

@mad4vols must’ve had a hot date tonight or something??
My parents got back last night after being out of town for a couple months. They left the day we got eliminated in the playoffs, I remember because we were winning when I left and when I got back from the airport I got the bad news. So tonight I was over there for dinner.

My parents got back last night after being out of town for a couple months. They left the day we got eliminated in the playoffs, I remember because we were winning when I left and when I got back from the airport I got the bad news. So tonight I was over there for dinner.
Ok, since it’s your parents, we’ll overlook your absence this time. 😜

On August 6 in Baseball History...
  • 1877 - The National League rule calls for the home team to submit three names of approved local men for each game, with the visiting team choosing one at random to be umpire. Today in Louisville, Chicago's Cal McVey reaches into the hat and picks out a slip bearing the name of Dan Devinney, who accused St. Louis of trying to bribe him five days earlier. Disgusted, McVeythen grabs the hat and finds that all three slips have Devinney's name on them. The incensed White Stockings demand a new umpire and then snap the Grays' six-game winning streak 7-2.

• 1894 - Sparks from a plumber's torch start a blaze that destroys the grandstand at Philadelphia's Huntingdon Grounds, better known as Baker Bowl. The grandstand will be rebuilt with concrete and steel.

• 1901 - The National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues is formed to help the minor leagues protect their interests.

• 1904 - Lefthander Nick Altrock of the White Sox (their new nickname) handles thirteen fielding chances, the modern major league record for pitchers. He will finish the year with 49 putouts, an American League record for pitchers.

• 1908 - Johnny Lush pitched a six-inning no-hitter as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Brooklyn Dodgers, 2-0. It was Lush's second no-hitter against the Dodgers.

• 1941 - Detroit pitcher Al Benton collects two sacrifices in one inning, a major league record.

• 1949 - Luke Appling appears as shortstop in his 2,154th game, surpassing Rabbit Maranville'smajor league mark. Appling will play in 2,218 games at shortstop.

• 1952 - Satchel Paige, at 47, became the oldest player in major league history to pitch a complete game or a shutout when he beat Virgil Trucks and the Detroit Tigers, 1-0, in 12 innings.

• 1953 - Ted Williams is back in a Red Sox uniform after military duty in Korea. He will finish with 13 home runs and a .407 mark.

• 1967 - Against Chicago, Brooks Robinson of the Orioles hits into the fourth triple play of his career for a major league mark.

• 1972 - Atlanta's Hank Aaron hit his 660th and 661st career home runs to break Babe Ruth'srecord for most home runs with one club. The 661st came in the 10th inning to give the Braves a 4-3 triumph over the Cincinnati Reds.

• 1973 - Roberto Clemente and Warren Spahn head the list of new inductees at Cooperstown. Clemente is the first Latin-born player to achieve membership at Cooperstown.

• 1981 - After a seven-week strike, major league baseball players approved a split-season format. The New York Yankees, Oakland A's, Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers were declared the first-half champions and automatically qualified for the divisional series.

• 1982 - Just five days after hitting three home runs in a 5-4 loss to the Twins, Doug DeCinceshits three more home runs in a 9-5 win at Seattle. DeCinces is the first player other than Ted Williams to hit three home runs in a game twice in the same season.

• 1985 - For the second time in five years the Players' Association stages a midseason strike. But unlike the 50-day strike that interrupted the 1981 season, this one will be settled by the following day and all 25 canceled games will be made up.

• 1986 - The Texas Rangers beat the Baltimore Orioles, 13-11, in a record-setting battle of grand slams. Texas' Toby Harrah hit a grand slam in the second inning before Larry Sheets and Jim Dwyer connected for grand slams in Baltimore's nine-run fourth.

• 1988 - Oakland Athletics outfielder Jose Canseco became the 11th player in major league history to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases in a season. Canseco, with 31 homers, stole second base with one out in the ninth inning for his 30th as the A's edged the Seattle Mariners, 5-4.

• 1988 - Rich Gossage got his 300th save as the Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 7-4.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
On August 6 in Baseball History...

• 1877 - The National League rule calls for the home team to submit three names of approved local men for each game, with the visiting team choosing one at random to be umpire. Today in Louisville, Chicago's Cal McVey reaches into the hat and picks out a slip bearing the name of Dan Devinney, who accused St. Louis of trying to bribe him five days earlier. Disgusted, McVeythen grabs the hat and finds that all three slips have Devinney's name on them. The incensed White Stockings demand a new umpire and then snap the Grays' six-game winning streak 7-2.

• 1894 - Sparks from a plumber's torch start a blaze that destroys the grandstand at Philadelphia's Huntingdon Grounds, better known as Baker Bowl. The grandstand will be rebuilt with concrete and steel.

• 1901 - The National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues is formed to help the minor leagues protect their interests.

• 1904 - Lefthander Nick Altrock of the White Sox (their new nickname) handles thirteen fielding chances, the modern major league record for pitchers. He will finish the year with 49 putouts, an American League record for pitchers.

• 1908 - Johnny Lush pitched a six-inning no-hitter as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Brooklyn Dodgers, 2-0. It was Lush's second no-hitter against the Dodgers.

• 1941 - Detroit pitcher Al Benton collects two sacrifices in one inning, a major league record.

• 1949 - Luke Appling appears as shortstop in his 2,154th game, surpassing Rabbit Maranville'smajor league mark. Appling will play in 2,218 games at shortstop.

• 1952 - Satchel Paige, at 47, became the oldest player in major league history to pitch a complete game or a shutout when he beat Virgil Trucks and the Detroit Tigers, 1-0, in 12 innings.

• 1953 - Ted Williams is back in a Red Sox uniform after military duty in Korea. He will finish with 13 home runs and a .407 mark.

• 1967 - Against Chicago, Brooks Robinson of the Orioles hits into the fourth triple play of his career for a major league mark.

• 1972 - Atlanta's Hank Aaron hit his 660th and 661st career home runs to break Babe Ruth'srecord for most home runs with one club. The 661st came in the 10th inning to give the Braves a 4-3 triumph over the Cincinnati Reds.

• 1973 - Roberto Clemente and Warren Spahn head the list of new inductees at Cooperstown. Clemente is the first Latin-born player to achieve membership at Cooperstown.

• 1981 - After a seven-week strike, major league baseball players approved a split-season format. The New York Yankees, Oakland A's, Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers were declared the first-half champions and automatically qualified for the divisional series.

• 1982 - Just five days after hitting three home runs in a 5-4 loss to the Twins, Doug DeCinceshits three more home runs in a 9-5 win at Seattle. DeCinces is the first player other than Ted Williams to hit three home runs in a game twice in the same season.

• 1985 - For the second time in five years the Players' Association stages a midseason strike. But unlike the 50-day strike that interrupted the 1981 season, this one will be settled by the following day and all 25 canceled games will be made up.

• 1986 - The Texas Rangers beat the Baltimore Orioles, 13-11, in a record-setting battle of grand slams. Texas' Toby Harrah hit a grand slam in the second inning before Larry Sheets and Jim Dwyer connected for grand slams in Baltimore's nine-run fourth.

• 1988 - Oakland Athletics outfielder Jose Canseco became the 11th player in major league history to hit 30 homers and steal 30 bases in a season. Canseco, with 31 homers, stole second base with one out in the ninth inning for his 30th as the A's edged the Seattle Mariners, 5-4.

• 1988 - Rich Gossage got his 300th save as the Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 7-4.

82cafb130d531596c004afac88335534.jpg

VN Store

Back