The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I will not be up early tomorrow so I am going to go ahead and post this:

On July 19 in Baseball History...
  • 1909 - Cleveland shortstop Neal Ball pulled off the first unassisted triple play in modern Major League history.

• 1910 - Cy Young registered his 500th career victory as the Cleveland Indians beat the Washington Senators 5-4 in eleven-innings.

• 1933 - Rick Ferrell of the Boston Red Sox hit a home run off brother Wes, pitching for the Cleveland Indians. Wes also homered in that game, marking the only time the two connected in the same contest.

• 1960 - Juan Marichal broke in with the San Francisco Giants by pitching a one-hit, 2-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

• 1974 - Dick Bosman of the Cleveland Indians pitched a no-hit, 4-0 victory over the world champion Oakland A's.

• 1982 - In the first Old-timer's All-Star Classic, played at Washington's RFK Stadium before 29,000 fans, the American League won 7-2. Luke Appling, 75, led off for the American League and hit a home run over the shortened left-field fence off Warren Spahn.

• 1989 - Cleveland's Joe Carter had the fourth three-home run game of his career, tying Lou Gehrig's American League record, and drove in six runs, powering the Indians past the Minnesota Twins 10-1.

• 1994 - The Kingdome, home of the Seattle Mariners, was closed after four ceiling tiles fell nearly 180 feet into the stands behind home plate. The Mariners were forced into a 22-day road trip before the season was cut short by the players' strike.

• 1909 - Cleveland shortstop Neal Ball pulled off the first unassisted triple play in modern Major League history.

• 1910 - Cy Young registered his 500th career victory as the Cleveland Indians beat the Washington Senators 5-4 in eleven-innings.

• 1933 - Rick Ferrell of the Boston Red Sox hit a home run off brother Wes, pitching for the Cleveland Indians. Wes also homered in that game, marking the only time the two connected in the same contest.

• 1960 - Juan Marichal broke in with the San Francisco Giants by pitching a one-hit, 2-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

• 1974 - Dick Bosman of the Cleveland Indians pitched a no-hit, 4-0 victory over the world champion Oakland A's.

• 1982 - In the first Old-timer's All-Star Classic, played at Washington's RFK Stadium before 29,000 fans, the American League won 7-2. Luke Appling, 75, led off for the American League and hit a home run over the shortened left-field fence off Warren Spahn.

• 1989 - Cleveland's Joe Carter had the fourth three-home run game of his career, tying Lou Gehrig's American League record, and drove in six runs, powering the Indians past the Minnesota Twins 10-1.

• 1994 - The Kingdome, home of the Seattle Mariners, was closed after four ceiling tiles fell nearly 180 feet into the stands behind home plate. The Mariners were forced into a 22-day road trip before the season was cut short by the players' strike.

82cafb130d531596c004afac88335534.jpg

How is it possible to have an unassisted triple play?

I learned from that video there is only one possible way, every time it’s happened it was the identical play at second.
Someone could line out and the player could touch 2nd and then 1st. I don’t think that combo has ever been done. Every occurrence has involved tagging a base runner. It’s just more efficient to tag the runner than running all the way to 1st so there’s really no need to do that.

Reactions: MAD
Anybody get the impression football parking is going to be a mess this year?

They just now sent out the request email...it just leads to a damn Jotform where you rank your preferences.

Edit to add:

I'm just in the 5k's, so I know I won't get anything worth crowing about. But I fully expect there to be a lot of griping among the older set.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back