the draft

donsargegolf

Frank Croyle NFL draft expert advised Jesse Mahalona and Jason Allen to stay in school for next years football season. Hope this is good news for the Vols.

Yup. Allen does need to go back to corner for draft's sake. Also, his mom wants him to finish his degree. I hope both kids listen. This is now the second "NFL draft expert" to say the same thing.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Dec 20, 2004 10:21 PM
Frank Croyle NFL draft expert advised Jesse Mahalona and Jason Allen to stay in school for next years football season. Hope this is good news for the Vols.

:cross:

if I am not mistaken Allen already has his degree. I read or heard somewhere that he is in grad school now.

I don't think that Allen has his degree yet. I think that you are talking about Kevin Burnett. Bhamvol mentioned that Allen's mom wants him to finish his degree. I could be wrong though.

What's with all of the Sports Management majors? Is that what you major in if you want to be a coach or something?

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 21, 2004 3:34 PM
Yep. A lot of athletes take Sports Management and Marketing as their majors, I've noticed.

Sports Management is basically the pre-NFL class, its an easy major for guys who know they are good enough to go pro

I hope the guys dont rush into the draft as everyone for the benefit of the Vols but, you cant blame them for treating their athletic ability like a franchise business when the university plays that game with them to begin with. Its just smart for them to take the cash when its available, then return for degrees in the offseason.

They are taking cash while their on scholarship. They get a free ride that everyone else has to pay 60+ grand for by the time all expenses are over. I like to see the players honor their committment to the schools.

yeah but with a chance at being drafted why risk a career ending injury with one more yr, I hate to loose players early but sometimes they have to think of their livelihood ahead of school loyalty they just need to listen to folks around them "in the know" and not go without a good shot at 1st or 2nd round

Originally posted by GVF@Dec 22, 2004 4:49 PM
I like to see the players honor their committment to the schools.

Every time I see somebody say this - I laugh. To me, it's code for "Dammit, stick around for another year so that we will be good and you can entertain me for free." With as much money as the schools garner from football, the only commitment these kids should have is to themselves and their families whether that's by staying and getting an education or leaving early for the NFL.

Most NFL careers are only 5-7 years long, so most of these guys will be done with football around age 30 anyway. I say if you are going to go in the first 2 rounds - unless you can seriously upgrade your draft status by staying - go get paid and capitalize on your ability while you can.

Both Jesse Mahelona and Jason Allen can seriously upgrade their draft status by staying one more year. Mahelona has only played division 1-A ball for 1 year. If Allen had played cornerback this year, he might have been ready, but playing a new position lends to needing another year of experience too.

VN Store

Back