The Downtown Grill & Brewery Postgame Report

1. Great performance at the most opportune time. It sets things up nicely for an SEC Tournament run.
2. That was by far Tennessee's smartest performance of the year. They pressed their advantages against an overmatched opponent.
3. Bruce needs to keep his jacket on when he goes with the t shirt. He looked like Mel Sharples running round the sideline.
4. South Carolina is not an NCAA quality team. Darrin Horn deserves a great deal of credit for putting them in contention.
5. The Big East, as good as it is, should only get seven bids. Their bubble teams have vomited all over themselves this week.
6. Michigan-Minnesota should be interesting Saturday. The winner can probably breathe easy.
7. I love listening to Bob Knight talk about how badly Ted Valentine sucks without ever mentioning him by name. Knight is figuring the broadcasting game out quickly.
8. Georgia could do worse than giving Fran Fraschilla a call. In fact, my guess is that they will.
9. The Big Ten is going to get a bunch of teams into the NCAA field. I can't see any of them, other than Michigan State, doing much damage.
10. I'm certainly not the president of the Bruce Pearl Fan Club, but finishing atop the SEC East in three of his four years is a pretty good accomplishment. Playing well in conference is the sign of a healthy program.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

True.

Well at least you're straight forward...I'll give you that.

What did you want/expect out of tonight then?

One regular season game or SEC East title doesn't change the criticisms hat has expressed.

One regular season game or SEC East title doesn't change the criticisms hat has expressed.

I just hate UT being relevant...makes me sick

20 rpi and 2 sos
could be worse

...and a simple "no" would have sufficed, no need for redundancy

Last edited:
I think we're headed in a better direction now. In regards to our poor effort and poor start, I don't think you can discount the kids Pearly didn't have to work with this year that would have contributed significantly. While I realize every team has to deal with similar adversity, I would point out that Pearl has found a way to get these misfits to mesh and win the SEC East and get a first round bye in the SEC Tourney. Hats off to Pearl. No pun intended.

I just hate UT being relevant...makes me sick

20 rpi and 2 sos
could be worse
call me crazy, but I don't recall our RPI being tremendously helpful last year.

The lone year any of that trash helped us was the year we ended up a 2 seed, which happened because we beat UF twice and nobody else could.

Hat, thanks for writing these - I look forward to reading them. Do you believe in teams peaking at the right/wrong time? I'm convinced UT peaked last year at Memphis, and maybe they are peaking going into tourney play instead this year.
I'm not the biggest believer in the concept of teams "peaking," but Tennessee certainly tailed off after Memphis last year.

call me crazy, but I don't recall our RPI being tremendously helpful last year.

The lone year any of that trash helped us was the year we ended up a 2 seed, which happened because we beat UF twice and nobody else could.

It helps for seeding...an RPI Florida and UK would like right now. We're not going to go past the sweet 16 this year (if we're lucky), but it's always nice to be relevant in the tourney committees eyes. That "trash" has gotten us in the tourney with high seeds the past few years. Forgive me for being rah rah, but we had people calling for Bruce's head two weeks ago...let's be real, UT basketball could be a lot worse off.

Hat, thanks for writing these - I look forward to reading them. Do you believe in teams peaking at the right/wrong time? I'm convinced UT peaked last year at Memphis, and maybe they are peaking going into tourney play instead this year.
I'm afraid USC is just that bad.

It helps for seeding...an RPI Florida and UK would like right now. We're not going to go past the sweet 16 this year (if we're lucky), but it's always nice to be relevant in the tourney committees eyes. That "trash" has gotten us in the tourney with high seeds the past few years.
I would love for this team to make the sweet 16...not sure it's going to happen.

It helps for seeding...an RPI Florida and UK would like right now. We're not going to go past the sweet 16 this year (if we're lucky), but it's always nice to be relevant in the tourney committees eyes. That "trash" has gotten us in the tourney with high seeds the past few years. Forgive me for being rah rah, but we had people calling for Bruce's head two weeks ago...let's be real, UT basketball could be a lot worse off.
we've gotten in the tourney the last few years because we have won a lot of games and beaten some good teams. We had the top overall RPI in the land last year and beat, at their house, one of the top 4 seeds very late in the season. We were 31-3 (I believe) and ended up with the 8 seed.

we've gotten in the tourney the last few years because we have won a lot of games and beaten some good teams. We had the top overall RPI in the land last year and beat, at their house, one of the top 4 seeds very late in the season. We were 31-3 (I believe) and ended up with the 8 seed.

We were 29-4 with a loss to Vanderbilt and a very average Arkansas team in the last 2 weeks of the season.

If we can win the SEC tournament, I think we have a good chance at a 5 seed. Depending on the match ups, a sweet 16 run is very possible.

We ended up with a two seed...not sure where you're coming from here...

We ended up with a two seed...not sure where you're coming from here...

we were the eighth two seed, which, in retrospect was probably spot on, considering our mediocre late season performances.

I thought we won 30 games for the first time?

We were 28-3 at the end of the regular season. Won against USC in the SEC tourney (29-3). Lost to Arkansas (29-4) Won against American (30-4), Won against Butler (31-4), Lost to Louisville (31-5)

I described it to someone as Fonzy's portly, intense uncle . . . but your point stands. They need to duct tape that jacket to him when he's wearing the t-shirt underneath.
Velcro would be neater and reusable.

VN Store

Back