The difference between good and bad coaching

All the more impressive that he lost 2 talented coaches and an NFL QB and still managed to beat no.6 on the road.

Or all the more impressive that his players finally played up to their talent in spite of the terrible coaching?

With all of the opt outs LSU has had I don’t think we are far off at this point in time. They are just much better coached.
They are probably better coached. That's not saying much. We have a staff full of recruiters.

1) Good coaches take raw talent and develop it, improving it week to week. TEACHING
2) Then they inspire maximum effort and performance from their team. They give the players a vision of what they can be and give them the confidence to get there. LEADING
3) Finally, they hire the best people to help them with number 1 and 2. They then turn over functions to that staff and let them figure out the best way to reach your goals. You delegate and monitor Performance but only step in when you have to. MANAGING
Our last three coaches have all failed at all three facets of a head coach’s job IMO

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
You seriously think Ed Orgeron is a good head coach? If the answer is yes, then I don't know what to tell you. A couple of years ago, Orgeron was on the firing squad list but caught lightening in the bottle with Joe Burrow and the offensive coordinator. The only other teams in the SEC with about as much talent as Alabama and Georgia is LSU. They probably have more than Florida and Texas A&M.

Florida's defense has not been good all year but yesterday was very Vol like and a classic case of making just about every mistake in the book. There is no homefield advantage this year.

Even if Florida did win yesterday I fully expected them to get beat by 3 touchdowns next week.
I think Orgeron is a lousy HC but a great cheerleader. He is very good at firing his team up. That enthusiasm coupled with their raw talent can be a lethal combination.

The 'lightning in a bottle' analogy is on target for last year. Top talent, excellent assistants to handle the 'football stuff,' and Big Ed to pump 'em up equaled utter domination.

For LSU? What I posted wasn’t a question. It’s a fact that LSU has more talent than UT
The difference, LSU has a rough season but keeps working until they reach mid December by celebrating a win over a top 10 program.
UT has a rough season and manages to hobble into mid December to celebrate a win over the worst team in the Conference.
Which scenario would give you more hope for next year?

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
Agree. Pruitt has multiple bye weeks due to covid and came out and laid an egg. You see the lack of preparation after a bye and lack of adjustments at half all year long.

I don't hate Pruitt, I just don't feel he is ready to be a P5 coach. He should have started at a lower mid major.

My 2c

With his level of misplaced ego, I doubt that he'd have even entertained the thought of taking a non-P5 HC position.

Reactions: BreatheUT and Spawn
We were playing Mizzou and South Carolina. That had something to do with it.
Of course it did, but we also played Kentucky and Arkansas and looked completely different. We’re not gonna each other’s minds here, just giving my take on it

wow that's a lot of excuse making for one post.

At the end of the day Orgeron got his team to do something Tennessee could not do in 1000 years under Pruitt.
Pruitts plan for the number 6 team in the nation was to give Bailey his first start. If he actually used any type of logic, he would’ve seen that we have had multiple opportunities to get Bailey playing time before that. Bailey at the latest should’ve started at Arkansas.

LSU vs Tennessee. Both teams have had horrendous years on the field. Yet LSU was capable of going on the road to beat the no. 6 team in the nation on its home field. Coaching and preparation put them in position to fight and win when the advantage was there to take. Tennessee simply isn't capable of that. There's a zero percent chance that a Pruitt led team goes on the road and beats a no. 6 team. That's the difference between a good coach down on his luck and a bad coach.
Don't forget they did that with most of the starters opting out and a prepared freshman QB

Or all the more impressive that his players finally played up to their talent in spite of the terrible coaching?
That’s not true..... LSU lost 31 players from last years team and add three more that opted out due to covid..... that is an extreme amount of talent to replace with Pretty much no off season.

That’s not true..... LSU lost 31 players from last years team and add three more that opted out due to covid..... that is an extreme amount of talent to replace with Pretty much no off season.

Not to mention their DC, and their passing game coordinator who was the architect of their offense behind a generational-talent in Joe Burrow.

Coach O went undefeated behind Kiffin at SC as an interim, their kids loved him. He's won a national title at LSU, their kids love him. He just beat a ranked UF squad at The Swamp. He probably learned something when he was HC at Ole Miss and failing there but claiming he can't coach or is not a good coach is baloney.

VN Store

Back