The Demise of the SEC

allvol

Eternally Optimistic
Much to the chagrin of sportswriters and fans who have been saying that the SEC is down this season... let's take a quick look at the polls. The SEC leads all conferences with the number of ranked teams.

5 SEC
4 BigXII
4 ACC
4 Big10
3 PAC10
2 BigEast
1 WAC
1 CUSA
1 MWC

WOW. What a surprise...

Saying that the SEC isn't the best football conference would be like saying the ACC isn't the best basketball conference... it's ludicrious.

And we're just reloading 2 East Div teams with new coaches, and good ones at that. In a couple of years, we could have 4 ranked teams from just one half the conference in a best case scenario, but with the round robbins, 3 would realistic.

We have been saying this crap for the last 5 years?

Every year it is supposed to be a down year.....and it never is

I just get used to reading that pre-season crap

I don't think that the SEC is significantly better than all the other conferences, but it is solid and one could definitley defend it as the top conference this year.

If the Big XII North had fielded just one more respectable team outside of Colorado, my vote would probably go to them this year. But Nebraska went and got a worse record than Mizzou :shakehead:

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 1, 2004 4:36 PM
If the Big XII North had fielded just one more respectable team outside of Colorado, my vote would probably go to them this year. But Nebraska went and got a worse record than Mizzou :shakehead:

Really? I would think the Big XII North would need a lot more good teams to look better than the Big XII South. I mean, OU, Texas, A&M (who isn't too bad this season), Oklahoma St. (who isn't too bad this season)...

I just thought they had it hands down.

I think he meant the Big XII overall... thing is Milo, we could say that if Vandy or UK (or both would have been nice) had fielded better teams that could AT LEAST win their non-conference games, we'd be HANDS DOWN, head and shoulders, above the rest.

Oklahoma is 2nd
Texas is 5th
Texas A&M is 20th
Texas Tech is 21st
Oklahoma State is 24th
only Baylor is not top 25.

This year, Big XII South is hands-down the best division in all of college football. My point was, if the Big XII North had even so much as one team in the top 25 and maybe one more that was within 10 spots of the top 25, my opinion would be that the conference as a whole would be the strongest in the country. But, the SEC is pretty evenly divided... I would say SEC might be stronger, but only by a hair. Five ranked teams in one half of a conference is pretty tough to argue with.

Milo's and AllVol's numbers don't square. Milo shows 5 from Big XII and AllVol shows 4. What's the story from the BCS?

VN Store

Back