The Dallas Cowboys football circus thread

5806879a8956dedc5f000001.jpeg

The stadium didn't look too full Thursday.

Zeke returns for the game against Seattle. Given Gurley put up 150+ and averaged over 7 YPC, I see Zeke rolling and Dallas winning this one.

Jerry Jones having the audacity to watch the teams terrible performance today, with so much on the line, and tell reporters he's "really excited about the future of this team" is why I went from being a die hard fanatic not too long ago, to an indifferent viewer anymore.

The franchise is a joke and it starts with him.

Jason Garrett has to go! Why Cowboys should fire coach

By Tim Cowlishaw , Staff Columnist Contact Tim Cowlishaw on Twitter: @TimCowlishaw

ARLINGTON -- Jason's got to go.

After the Cowboys' fifth home loss of 2017, one that decisively buried the club's playoff hopes, somewhere in between "How ya doin' guys" and "Merry Christmas," Jason Garrett was sweating. He was defensive about what had transpired in a 21-12 loss to Seattle, too effusive in praise of the visitors who produced more yards in penalties than in total offense and predictably uninterested in a discussion of his future.

But the worst thing Garrett said was the same as the worst thing Garrett (and coordinator Scott Linehan) did Sunday, which is fail to give Ezekiel Elliott the ball on first-and-goal at the 3. Or on second-and-goal at the 2. Those misguided decisions produced a holding penalty that threw things in reverse and then -- a different kind of inexplicable -- Dan Bailey missed a 34-yard field goal attempt that would have cut Seattle's lead to six points with 5:40 to go.

This game and this lost-cause season were over.

Jason's got to go.

On first down, the Cowboys went with the run-pass option, and Dak Prescott was stopped at the 2. Given a reprieve, the club stayed away from Elliott one more time (he finished with 97 yards on 24 carries in his return) and when Prescott threw incomplete on a rollout, Jason Witten was called for holding.

It all went south, and it was all so completely unnecessary and flat-out wrong given that this game was all about Zeke's return and the man had 73 yards in the first half, and you better get stopped taking your best shot instead of a weak alternative, but Garrett didn't see any of that.

"Those are easy [calls] afterwards, obviously Zeke is a very good player, we like him and we give him plenty of opportunities," Garrett said. "In that particular case, it didn't work out for us, and that was a big part of the game."

Somewhere in the middle of his answer, I mentioned that those were easy calls right at the time, too, but he was oblivious either to me or to that as having been a reasonable option.

As for whether taking a 13-3 team down to the 8-7 level and whether that could impact his future, Garrett said, "My job is to do the best job for this football team."

It's his job until Jerry Jones says it isn't, and the Cowboys owner wasn't interested in even entertaining that discussion Sunday, despite the fact this team will have one playoff win after seven full seasons with Garrett in charge. Only Marvin Lewis maintains employment with a similar record, and even his days seem to be numbered in Cincinnati.

Jones said he understood the feelings of frustration after losing a meaningful game, adding, "But I get to look at a lot of different things and have been around a lot of head coaches and coordinators. So I feel good about our head coach."

Do I need to tell Jerry that all he's really saying there is that he has too often settled for mediocrity at the important coaching positions, a fundamental reason it's now 22 years and counting without an NFC Championship Game appearance for his once-storied franchise?

Garrett isn't a bad person and he isn't an awful coach, but that's a pretty low bar for keeping someone around. There is nothing special on his résumé after 11 seasons as either the coordinator or head coach, mostly the latter. He has now coached four elimination games on either the final or next to last game of the season (2011, 2012, 2013, 2017) and lost all of them.

In fact, if the Cowboys lose to Philadelphia, this will be Garrett's fourth 8-8 team in seven seasons. That is spectacularly average.

Jones at least acknowledged what most of the 92,150 in the stadium and millions elsewhere were thinking at the critical moment in the fourth period of the critical game.

"On hindsight, I wish, we all wish that we'd tried Zeke in there," he said.

Yet he indicates he plans to stay with a coach who did not view that goal line play-calling as anything more than good calls that failed to work. His focus is to get his team prepared for a worthless game in Philadelphia, one that will mean absolutely nothing to the Eagles, too, as long as they defeat the Oakland Raiders on Monday night.

"Finish is a really important word for us, each play, each day, each game and we certainly have to finish the season the right way, and we have the right kind of guys to do that," Garrett said.

Yeah, finish is a heck of a word when it comes to Jason Garrett and the Cowboys. There's always a chance in the coming weeks Jerry Jones will figure that out as well.

Jason's got to go.

Jerry is too scared to get a real coach because he doesn’t want credit taken away from himself. Until he gets over this we will stay mediocre. Which will be forever

Reactions: 1 person
I see no reason to not be excited for the future. We have a franchise QB and RB. If Zeke didnt miss 6 games, we would have made the playoffs. The roster overall is one of the youngest in the league. The defense especially, that secondary will be really good in a year or 2.

We need a real WR1. Dez just doesn't get it done. And Witten needs to hang it up. Been a great player, but it's time for him to shut it down.

We need a real WR1. Dez just doesn't get it done. And Witten needs to hang it up. Been a great player, but it's time for him to shut it down.

First off, I need to say that I am an Eagles fan and really can't stand the Cowboys. But, since the 'Boys are on TV so much, I have probably watched close to 10 of their games this year. I completely agree with u about Dez. I watched him act like a spoiled brat all day Sunday and then fumble, followed by not catching a very catchable pass and deflecting it for an interception. Those 2 turnovers led to 14 points for Seattle and cost Dallas the game. The Cowboys played their a$$ off on defense, btw. I, also think Witten is still a top 10 TE. But, I was really impressed by that big rookie, u all have, in the preseason, so I could see Witten taking a backseat to that kid. But, if I was a Cowboys fan, I would still want Witten on the team because he can still play.

I see no reason to not be excited for the future. We have a franchise QB and RB. If Zeke didnt miss 6 games, we would have made the playoffs. The roster overall is one of the youngest in the league. The defense especially, that secondary will be really good in a year or 2.

Really?

We were a .500 team without him. If we lose to Philly, which is unlikely since they lost their starting QB and will be resting players, we would be 5-5 with Zeke.

Really?

We were a .500 team without him. If we lose to Philly, which is unlikely since they lost their starting QB and will be resting players, we would be 5-5 with Zeke.

Zeke wasn't as good this year. Period. Maybe the off field stuff was too much and he just couldn't focus. I don't know, but neither he nor Dak played as well. Dak didn't have the luxury of Zeke for the full season, and even when he did he wasn't as sharp.

Maybe we will see next year what this team is capable of. But there are needs that must be addressed in the draft and FA. We need depth for Sean Lee, dude goes down every year and the D goes with him.

We need someone who can be a legit deep threat. Dez just isn't that guy anymore. He's still a darn good jump ball guy, but he doesn't stretch the defense anymore.

O line depth is also needed. Tyron being out was crushing to the offense. Our backups just aren't that good.

Every team has injuries, but we lack depth to overcome them and the ability of the coaches to scheme when it happens.

Garrett's record when Lee, Zeke, and Smith play is really, really good. Hell, he's like 14 of his last 18 when just Lee plays. They would be a shoe in for the playoffs had Zeke not missed 6 games.

Zeke wasn't as good this year. Period. Maybe the off field stuff was too much and he just couldn't focus. I don't know, but neither he nor Dak played as well. Dak didn't have the luxury of Zeke for the full season, and even when he did he wasn't as sharp.

Maybe we will see next year what this team is capable of. But there are needs that must be addressed in the draft and FA. We need depth for Sean Lee, dude goes down every year and the D goes with him.

We need someone who can be a legit deep threat. Dez just isn't that guy anymore. He's still a darn good jump ball guy, but he doesn't stretch the defense anymore.

O line depth is also needed. Tyron being out was crushing to the offense. Our backups just aren't that good.

Every team has injuries, but we lack depth to overcome them and the ability of the coaches to scheme when it happens.

Zeke was still very good and the D game plans for him, opening things up for the passing game.

Every team has injuries but Smith and Lee are arguably the best talents at their positions in the league.

It breaks my heart that Witten will not get a ring. He deserves one

Agreed on the WR comment.

As a fan of 51 year's , all i can say is how bout them COWBOY'S, Go get a WR in round 1 and if the SMU receiver is there in round 2, get him to and solve the problem, if the dude from the Corn Husker's can stay clean and stay on the field would address the DL, now this is how i would get this party started.:clapping:

VN Store

Back