The D-Line thread that gives some clarity

I don't think Simmons is going to play very much unless more injuries occur. FR don't do very well at his position. He's talented but extremely raw and inexperienced vs good competition. He'll get snaps but I doubt it's more than 5-10 a game.

100% agree......

I don't think Simmons is going to play very much unless more injuries occur. FR don't do very well at his position. He's talented but extremely raw and inexperienced vs good competition. He'll get snaps but I doubt it's more than 5-10 a game.

100% agree......
Also the common thought in defensive line circles now is giving up a little weight to gain athleticism...

That sounds like a Butch Jones circle

Love this post. Everyone freaking out should breathe in a paper bag and re-read this unusually rare clear and coherent post. Thanks @DefenseWins !

Hey, I'd rather freak out than be breathing in paper bags and reading stuff over. That's just me. You can read and breathe yourself silly for all I care.

If he gets 5-10 snaps at the beginning of the season, then he is ahead of schedule compared to most FR DTs. Those snaps will only increase if he is a difference maker.

I have seen.... well let’s face it... way too much misconception on the D-Line. First, losing Gooden sucks period anytime you lose a starter it’s not a fun time.

However, the truth is we will be in a 3-4 about 25-30% of the time so Simmons should have enough to fill that gap. One misconception is that we just need beef in the NT position and while beef is good it actually can harm you. #94 for Alabama last year and #42 from Clemson gives you a picture of how you can have different body types and still get the job done. What makes Simmons so intriguing is his nimbleness along with his power.

So we will be in a 4-2-5 about 40-50% of the time which means you don’t have to have a true nose (as in the 3-4 body type guy) your true dude in a 4 DL set is the 3 technique for a whole lot of reasons. So guys like Williams and Middleton could give you a 4-2 nose guy... also they have sub packages in the 4–2 called rabbits which gives you some LB’s as DE’s and gets DE’s from the 3-4 set as interior linemen....

The whole point being not having Gooden sucks but it’s far from the end of the world... heck you can have a guy like Middleton that is longer and has heavy hands to play nose in a 3-4 like a Malik Jackson for the jags (or wherever he is)

I’m not making this thread because I know it all but the amount I do know suggests we are freaking out a little bit too much... I know VN freaking out!?!?!? .....never
If you can’t stop the run you’ll be in a 7-4

Reactions: bluetick2
We seem to have a lot of posters now that have posted very little according to their “stats” have suddenly shown up this year as experts for miserable minority’s base.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You can't be serious about the 98 DL being by committee. PLEASE say you're joking because if you're not you need to be on a suspension from posting about football anywhere.
Dude you need to chill, maybe? I said nothing bad about them.That line had Shaun Ellis n Billy Ratliff coming off significant injuries, Darwin Walker had transferred in to us, Roger Alexander was a JUCO DE/LB tweener, John Henderson was only a freshman. Am pretty sure we started at least 4 different DTs in Ratliff, Walker, Ron Green and Jeff Coleman. DEs were Ellis and Corey Terry, DeAngelo Lloyd, Butler, Coleman, Alexander, as best as I can recall. My point was, this was a varied cast of characters, and they got the job done. Am serious. Not joking.

Dude you need to chill, maybe? I said nothing bad about them.That line had Shaun Ellis n Billy Ratliff coming off significant injuries, Darwin Walker had transferred in to us, Roger Alexander was a JUCO DE/LB tweener, John Henderson was only a freshman. Am pretty sure we started at least 4 different DTs in Ratliff, Walker, Ron Green and Jeff Coleman. DEs were Ellis and Corey Terry, DeAngelo Lloyd, Butler, Coleman, Alexander, as best as I can recall. My point was, this was a varied cast of characters, and they got the job done. Am serious. Not joking.

To be very frank with you D. Lloyd really wasn't a guy then. He came along. I was right there every week and present at some practices etc. Big Cat, Darwin, CT, B. Rat, Ron Green were the show. Of course other guys played sparingly but that's football. Roger Alexander definitely wasn't a true factor. Big John was prop 48 and not elgble to play.

My point being is this group can't be compared to that one. So save the bad references like that.

To be very frank with you D. Lloyd really wasn't a guy then. He came along. I was right there every week and present at some practices etc. Big Cat, Darwin, CT, B. Rat, Ron Green were the show. Of course other guys played sparingly but that's football. Roger Alexander definitely wasn't a true factor. Big John was prop 48 and not elgble to play.

My point being is this group can't be compared to that one. So save the bad references like that.
They didn't depend on one dominant DL star, they played a bunch of guys that contributed, just like we are going to do this year.

We seem to have a lot of posters now that have posted very little according to their “stats” have suddenly shown up this year as experts for miserable minority’s base.

... and some of them are secondary or more pseudo names they use to push an agenda they muster up along the way.

Reactions: Pride85
Amen!

And the other millions of VOL fans would like to see that as well.........

VN Store

Back