The Culture of Firing - when it’s wrong

I agree with some of this, I do think fans, admin tend to move on from coaches who don’t succeed right away. I think “year three” has this magical ring to it that is a fail point... it’s fake.
View attachment 335820

5 of those losses in Year 3 for Swinney were by a TD or less.

Being somewhat competitive matters too for context.

The team has been playing hard. The problem is something else... maybe the coach. Nobody on this board knows what the problem is, though.
Seemed like lack of interest at times, maybe it was just me.

I’m glad someone brought up Dabo. After all he had no head coaching experience, and wasn’t a coordinator. In his first full season, they beat Fla St and won their division. They were generally competitive in every game. In his second full season, the record was worse but they they again were competitive every game. They lost at OT game to eventual champs Auburn. But there’s more than just the record. He was recruiting 1st round picks Hopkins and Beasley. He already had Boyd on board. And he had a plan - and ambition - to expand their traditional recruiting footprint. He went into Fla to get Sammy Watkins. He held his own in Georgia and got Watson from there. And he bled over into Tennessee, first East and now the rest of the state. He grabbed our recruiting base and knew he’d be there longer than Dooley.

Pruitt isn’t getting us to play inspired ball. We aren’t competitive with our rivals, and we don’t seem to have a recruiting base these days. He better figure out something.
Well we are playing much much steeper competition

Reactions: Raebo and GBOx2
So many college football coaches are getting fired over the past 10 or so years, and sometimes too early... IMO, most of them should get more time...

The best case scenarios are when a champion coach comes in, wins big, then leaves/ retires with tge program in the hands of an assistant/ disciple... all the other coaches (or most) remain the same, and the program continues winning (ie Oklahoma, Ohio State, TN (majors/ Fulmer 😂), etc.

These schools are just going in circles...
look at Auburn, Texas, Ga, Michigan, TN.....
All hv done a lot of hiring and firing, but. None are consistently winning anything, or the “new” coaches aren’t clearly better than before....

So what’s the answer then? I think the answer is obvious.... the head coach is overrated....
I think you need a great OC and DC, solid position coaches mostly picked by those coordinators, and tremendous booster help in recruiting....

Without the top jimmies and Joe’s you cannot win the biggest games...

Look at LSU this year wow... what a difference losing their OC and top talent from last year...
Same head coach, totally different result....

You haven't had your first shave yet, right?

Nah, I just like watching the guarantees be wrong😁
It’ll be sometime next week, maybe next month? Or even next year. Honestly, who knows? Eventually, we’ll get there. Btw I like the Hawaiian shirt on lake Louden, it says I’m here to party but I don’t take myself too seriously.

My opinion is that buyouts to crapshoot coaches need to stop. Give me an up and coming coach that says give me a buyout once I prove I can win in the big leagues. Should not cost $10 mil to get rid of a failure

Reactions: joevol33
Why do you think North Carolina is good all of a sudden, they hired an expierenced head coach with a proven record. You know, the guy from Tennessee that coached at Texas, won a natty. I’m sure most of you think he’s to old, well we’re 3-7 and suck and he’s playing in the Orange bowl.

Reactions: McCat
My opinion is that buyouts to crapshoot coaches need to stop. Give me an up and coming coach that says give me a buyout once I prove I can win in the big leagues. Should not cost $10 mil to get rid of a failure
Except no coach, except maybe the coach at Knoxville Catholic, takes that deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: hog88
I agree with some of this, I do think fans, admin tend to move on from coaches who don’t succeed right away. I think “year three” has this magical ring to it that is a fail point... it’s fake.
View attachment 335820

10-4 in Y3, an ACC championship, and NY6 bowl. That's a lot better than 7 double digit losses although the Bowl game against WVU stunk for Clemson. No, you dont count the interim season as a season.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange

VN Store

Back