The coming DECADE of UT Football is currently on Life Support......

Duckhook

Kiffin's untimely departure killed the next 5 years, due to a current roster already devoid of talent combined with what will end up a bottom-half SEC class now this year. Re-treading the program with Cutcliffe will double down on that, and the program WILL N-O-T recover for the rest of the coming decade.

Look around, people. This is a game of relativity, here. Saban has run off 3 straight, and Bama is licking it's chops at the prospect of another 8-10 year streak. How's that sit with you? Florida has won 5 straight, and that will already reach double digits regardless of who is hired. Folks, this WILL happen, unless UT keeps it from happening....and that's not done by just hoping and wishing, especially against men like Saban.

This is not a drill. If Cutcliffe is hired, Tennessee will lose it's proud place as the 2nd greatest traditional program in the SEC, and the program will destroy itself from within from 2010-2015....all while the two biggest rivals continue to visit ATL annually and lift trophies into the air on TV.

I don't believe many here realize just how critical the situation is.

I totally agree with everything you said except:

I don't believe many here realize just how critical the situation is.

Where have you been? This board has been on suicide watch for the last 48+ hours. Most fully comprehend the suckitude of the situation.

Reactions: Longshank
I call BS on this. Cutcliffe is a fine coach. He needs help recruiting, but I think he will get more out of the players he has than many of us suspect. Cutcliffe cares about this program, as do Kippy Brown and some of the other guys who may be on the next staff. They are experienced enough to know an unwinnable situation and none of them wants their name to be tied to the demise of Vol football. They know us and they know what we expect. They want the same thing. Bottom line is that these guys would not even think about coming back if they did not sincerely believe that they can right the ship. We are lucky to have former coaches like Cutcliffe and Brown, and even Fulmer.

Reactions: feathersax
Good point.

This appears to be beyond Hamilton's authority at this point because of several reasons:

1. The Cutcliffe hire came out and Hamilton had no comment. Also being reported that other candidates are thought to be interested or that MH is close to approaching/offering said candidates.

2. With the announcement of the BOT approaching Phil Fulmer, this sudden push for Cutcliffe appears to be coming from PF. Once again, it may be that Phil has gone around those in key positions at the University so that he can achieve his goals. He may not be interested in returning as coach but the thought of being CEO of the entire athletic dept. is very appealing to him.

If Cutcliffe is hired, we return to bubble screens and draw plays, say goodbye to Johnny Majors....forever and welcome back some of the old staff from '98 - '08.

Welcome back to November of 1992.

I disagree with just about everything you say. Cutcliffe has put together talented, competitive teams at DUKE for Christ sake. I'm sure there was some groans when Spurrier was hired away from Duke, too.

The only way I think Cutcliffe would not be able to rebuild UT to prominence would be if people like you don't give him the time to do it.

Wow... Imagine that.... Folks who don't particularly care for Tennessee think Cutcliffe is a GREAT hire.....

Calm down... CDC is only the guy that guided the Vols through a terrific championship run, then drew up the NC gameplan on the way out the door. Surely no one thinks Randy called that game.

David is a good coach and a gentleman. Impeccable credentials, and now what, he can't coach? Get a grip. If he does come home, we'll be fine.

Kiffin barely beat a cable from Al Davis to Knoxville warning Hammy that the guy was poison and would ruin the program. Of course, we all know Al is crazy, don't we? Don't we?

With CDC we won't be "going back to Fulmer". David was the only coach of the two... leaving for Ole Miss proved that. Give him a chance, if he's picked.

Cut coached the greatest QB in the history of the NFL...

I still don't want him for HC

I agree completely with the OP. We need someone who can swim with the sharks of the SEC and who can bring us the talent to compete with Florida and Bama. Just ask Ole Miss where Cut's stellar recruiting landed them.

I call BS on this. Cutcliffe is a fine coach. He needs help recruiting, but I think he will get more out of the players he has than many of us suspect. Cutcliffe cares about this program, as do Kippy Brown and some of the other guys who may be on the next staff. They are experienced enough to know an unwinnable situation and none of them wants their name to be tied to the demise of Vol football. They know us and they know what we expect. They want the same thing. Bottom line is that these guys would not even think about coming back if they did not sincerely believe that they can right the ship. We are lucky to have former coaches like Cutcliffe and Brown, and even Fulmer.

We'll see if you're still spinning that family-ties romance crap a year from now, as UT is following up on a 5-7 year in 2010 with an average-mediocre recruiting class on the heels of what will be this year's destroyed class.

I agree completely with the OP. We need someone who can swim with the sharks of the SEC and who can bring us the talent to compete with Florida and Bama. Just ask Ole Miss where Cut's stellar recruiting landed them.

Cut was the best coach at Ole Miss in 50 years. You guys are ridiculous.

He won 10 games in 2003.
The last time Ole Miss won 10 games was 1971!!!!!

Ole Miss fired him because he had ONE bad year and wouldn't fire his assistants. It was a TERRIBLE decision.

He was also 4-1 in bowl games.

What's that old saying "Things are never as bad or good as it seems." Like Kippy said Tennessee football will survive, probably not going to be at a level we all want for awhile , but they'll get through this. They just need a stable guy with Tennessee ties that won't bolt on them for 5 dollars more and a candy bar. Kids don't want to be part of a unstable deal and that's why hiring a guy like Kippy makes sense. I'm not sure Hamilton gets this though. He needs to detune the star, grand slam hire thing. He isn't saving his job anyway. Just get someone in place and start the long slow recovery today.

In the last five years, UT is 21-20 in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia all have better SEC records in that time. South Carolina is only slightly behind UT.

So I know everyone on this board is thinking doom and gloom, but honestly, UT can't realistically get any worse than it has been the last 5 years. Even with some scholarships down, and with a mediocre coaching staff, UT will still be better than the Kentucky's, Vandy's, MSU's of the SEC. You guys might have to battle it out with Arky and Ole Miss for #6 in the SEC for a few years, but UT will probably rebound eventually.

I have hope now that we dodged the bullet of Cutcliffe. I like the guy a lot, but if we hired him, we were staring at LSU between Arnsparger and Saban, UGA between Dooley and Richt, and Bama between Stallings and Saban. A Lost Decade.

In the last five years, UT is 21-20 in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia all have better SEC records in that time. South Carolina is only slightly behind UT.

So I know everyone on this board is thinking doom and gloom, but honestly, UT can't realistically get any worse than it has been the last 5 years. Even with some scholarships down, and with a mediocre coaching staff, UT will still be better than the Kentucky's, Vandy's, MSU's of the SEC.

If only post-2009 poster knew

giphy (16).gif

What are we made of? Our fathers came across the prairies, fought Indians, fought drought, fought locusts, fought Dix... remember when Richard Dix came in here and tried to take over this town? Well, we didn't give up then, and by gum, we're not going to give up now!

I think having Coach Cut would’ve been pretty damn nice the past 10/11 years compared to what we’ve been through.
so, the decade of the 2000’s wasn’t so great.
so, the decade of the 2010’s wasn’t so great
but, the decade of the 2020’s is gonna be...gonna be...maybe, it will be...I got nothin.

VN Store

Back