The coming DECADE of UT Football is currently on Life Support......

What are we made of? Our fathers came across the prairies, fought Indians, fought drought, fought locusts, fought Dix... remember when Richard Dix came in here and tried to take over this town? Well, we didn't give up then, and by gum, we're not going to give up now!
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to give up this ice cream parlor I built with my two bare hands.

Reactions: HalfullVol
With the announcement of the BOT approaching Phil Fulmer, this sudden push for Cutcliffe appears to be coming from PF. Once again, it may be that Phil has gone around those in key positions at the University so that he can achieve his goals. He may not be interested in returning as coach but the thought of being CEO of the entire athletic dept. is very appealing to him.

Prophetic

In the last five years, UT is 21-20 in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia all have better SEC records in that time. South Carolina is only slightly behind UT.

So I know everyone on this board is thinking doom and gloom, but honestly, UT can't realistically get any worse than it has been the last 5 years. Even with some scholarships down, and with a mediocre coaching staff, UT will still be better than the Kentucky's, Vandy's, MSU's of the SEC. You guys might have to battle it out with Arky and Ole Miss for #6 in the SEC for a few years, but UT will probably rebound eventually.

1)They did.

2) They weren't

3) Not yet.

If we had only know then that Derek Dooley had been hired instead of Cutcliff, what an abject disaster. Mike Hamilton shouldn't be allowed to hire anyone the rest of his life

Given his resume? He might hire someone to mow his lawn. And even that might be a disaster.

Strangely prophetic ... except for the part about how hiring Cutcliffe would destroy the program for a decade. If the OP simply had changed his argument to "not hiring Cutcliffe will destroy the program for the next decade", he would've been spot-on.

Well UF hasn't held any trophies up in Atlanta like he predicted. At least they've made it for a chance though a few times

In the last five years, UT is 21-20 in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Georgia all have better SEC records in that time. South Carolina is only slightly behind UT.

So I know everyone on this board is thinking doom and gloom, but honestly, UT can't realistically get any worse than it has been the last 5 years. Even with some scholarships down, and with a mediocre coaching staff, UT will still be better than the Kentucky's, Vandy's, MSU's of the SEC. You guys might have to battle it out with Arky and Ole Miss for #6 in the SEC for a few years, but UT will probably rebound eventually.

Since Tennessee last Atlanta Trip
Won Lost Percent

Alabama 95 11 90%
Georgia 75 30 71%
Florida 71 35 67%
LSU 71 35 67%
Texas A&M* 42 31 57%
Auburn 56 50 53%
Missouri * 35 39 47%
South Carolina 51 55 48%
Mississippi St 45 61 42%
Mississippi 39 66 37%
Tennessee 36 70 34%
Arkansas 33 73 31%
Kentucky 33 73 31%
Vanderbilt 26 79 25%

* Joined 2012

Reactions: knoxvol16
What's that old saying "Things are never as bad or good as it seems." Like Kippy said Tennessee football will survive, probably not going to be at a level we all want for awhile , but they'll get through this. They just need a stable guy with Tennessee ties that won't bolt on them for 5 dollars more and a candy bar. Kids don't want to be part of a unstable deal and that's why hiring a guy like Kippy makes sense. I'm not sure Hamilton gets this though. He needs to detune the star, grand slam hire thing. He isn't saving his job anyway. Just get someone in place and start the long slow recovery today.

Lol. What an incredibly bad take.

All the morons who wanted Fulmer gone straight up destroyed Tennessee football. Sucks. I really loved it too. Y’all Walmart fans ruined us.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I remember those days when I still had hope that we would compete for championships in a few years.

I've since lowered the bar... I hope we compete for championships in a few decades.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
All the morons who wanted Fulmer gone straight up destroyed Tennessee football. Sucks. I really loved it too. Y’all Walmart fans ruined us.
Fulmer knifed the program twice. He is the self induced poison that Tennessee Football swallowed.

But keep letting your whiskey talk for you.

12 years and 5 coaches later, doesn't it start to become apparent that however the fans may act - the administration has really sucked at hiring people?

Well done OP and all the posters who sounded the alarm early.

Hopefully we’re on the up swing? Maybe?

Fulmers time had come and gone. He did less with more. Saban, Meyer and richt all were besting the vols. I know Dooley catches hell but nobody wants to replace a legend. It was the next hire that really put Tennessee on a bad path. Dooley didnt have a horrible record. He didnt beat any rivals but did win vs the lower teams. Kiffy left this place a **** show laughing stock of college football it hasnt really recovered from.
Tennessee hasnt hired a established coach since majors. Lets hope Josh turns this around.

12 years and 5 coaches later, doesn't it start to become apparent that however the fans may act - the administration has really sucked at hiring people?

I don't think it is so much a matter of them hiring the wrong people as it is THEM actually being the wrong hire. I don't think we have had a decent AD in a long time. That IS our biggest missing ingredient. I realize this now.

Hopefully, the current AD equals problem solved.

Since Tennessee last Atlanta Trip
Won Lost Percent

Alabama 95 11 90%
Georgia 75 30 71%
Florida 71 35 67%
LSU 71 35 67%
Texas A&M* 42 31 57%
Auburn 56 50 53%
Missouri * 35 39 47%
South Carolina 51 55 48%
Mississippi St 45 61 42%
Mississippi 39 66 37%
Tennessee 36 70 34%
Arkansas 33 73 31%
Kentucky 33 73 31%
Vanderbilt 26 79 25%

* Joined 2012
That’s horrible it’s been a lost decade indeed and this decade isn’t looking any better so far.

VN Store

Back