The Chicken Sandwich War

We got a new place in town in Kingsport called Huey Magoo's. Its basically a slightly higher class Zaxbys. Tried their Buffalo chicken tender sandwich. Pretty damn tasty. That have grilled tenders too I want to try.
Never heard of it, saw there is one in Pinellas Park not far from, gonna check it out.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
We got a new place in town in Kingsport called Huey Magoo's. Its basically a slightly higher class Zaxbys. Tried their Buffalo chicken tender sandwich. Pretty damn tasty. That have grilled tenders too I want to try.
Where exactly is it located? Guess I could Google.

I was pretty shocked when they built that Wendy's. They shut one down a half mile away on the same road. Nobody goes to Wendy's until they mean to.

anyway it's Kingsport Pavilion.

I was pretty shocked when they built that Wendy's. They shut one down a half mile away on the same road. Nobody goes to Wendy's until they mean to.

anyway it's Kingsport Pavilion.
I remember when they opened the first Wendy’s on Kingston Pike back in the 70’s, it seemed special back then.

The foods okay, but they're just a distant also-ran and they know that. Moving a half a mile isn't going to turn anything around.

My brother was building a house back when they had Jr. bacon cheeseburgers for 99 cents. That was enough to get me in there and we ate quite a few of them.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, it seems Wendy's has 14 different chicken sandwiches, and none of them are really suitable for this thread (that is, something you'd compare to CFA) I suppose there should be rules about which one is considered for comparison to the other ones in this thread, but the short answer is none. They tend to lettuce/tomato/mayonaise or else chicken cheeseburgers. Cheddar cheese on a chicken sandwich is just not reasonable.

Reactions: MAD
The foods okay, but they're just a distant also-ran and they know that. Moving a half a mile isn't going to turn anything around.

My brother was building a house back when they had Jr. bacon cheeseburgers for 99 cents. That was enough to get me in there and we ate quite a few of them.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, it seems Wendy's has 14 different chicken sandwiches, and none of them are really suitable for this thread (that is, something you'd compare to CFA) I suppose there should be rules about which one is considered for comparison to the other ones in this thread, but the short answer is none. They tend to lettuce/tomato/mayonaise or else chicken cheeseburgers. Cheddar cheese on a chicken sandwich is just not reasonable.
I worked at Wendy’s back in 1981 in HS, chicken breast was not frozen and we would make them from scratch. They were good, doubt they do that nowadays.

Wendy's is just like most fast food restaurants in that they have gigantic menus that try to be everything to everyone. There is a way to do this effectively (Cookout), but Wendy's problem is that they don't excel at one particular thing. They don't have the best burger, they don't have the best chicken sandwich, they don't have the best fries. They are all fine, but they aren't the best or close to the best. People do love the Frosty (including me), but it is the best fast food "dessert" item?

I think a big reason Cookout pulls off the "everything to everybody" thing is because it is super cheap and they have awesome, sit down restaurant-quality milkshakes.

Reactions: Wireless1
Posting fundamentals, chicken sandwiches atop my list
1. Fried chicken breast cutlet, brined, seasoned, battered, fried to hot, juicy perfection, served on a perfectly fresh roll, split & toasted. Can be nekkid, with pickles, with lettuce & tomato, with a drizzle of one sauce/dressing or another - just don’t drown the flavor of the chicken.
2. Pulled chicken, sauced as you like it on a fresh split & toasted roll. Can be simple, or dressed with shaved cabbage, coleslaw, pickled peppers, julienned carrots & radishes…
3. Smoked chicken salad. Everybody has a chicken salad recipe. I have several variations, but the smoked chicken gives it that Je ne sais quoi. Chicken salad begs for fresh sourdough.
4. Sliced roasted chicken deli sandwich dressed the way you like it.
5. That pure dark meat chicken roasted in the skin then pulled apart and served on a split oblong roll with caramelized onions, or fried corn, or Mississippi caviar…

Reactions: JCHateSteve and MAD
Wendy's is just like most fast food restaurants in that they have gigantic menus that try to be everything to everyone. There is a way to do this effectively (Cookout), but Wendy's problem is that they don't excel at one particular thing. They don't have the best burger, they don't have the best chicken sandwich, they don't have the best fries. They are all fine, but they aren't the best or close to the best. People do love the Frosty (including me), but it is the best fast food "dessert" item?

I think a big reason Cookout pulls off the "everything to everybody" thing is because it is super cheap and they have awesome, sit down restaurant-quality milkshakes.
I never eat Wendy's anymore but when i did i always got a frosty to dip my fries in. So good.

Reactions: 05_never_again
My errand took me by the Twilight Zone KFC. There were only three people working that shift, but my sandwich (without mayo) was freshly made, perfectly cooked, hot & juicy, and the fries accompanying it were outstanding.

Reactions: MAD
Tried the new Heuy Magoos in Kingsport. It reminds me of Zaxby's. But their chicken and fries are better. I think their spice blend is superior. Had the chicken sandwich and will be going back. They were crazy busy and handled the drive through with Chick-fil-A like efficiency. All and all I was pretty impressed with them. We'll see how some of there other sauces are next trip.

Last edited:
Tried the new Heuy Magoos in Kingsport. It reminds me of Zaxby's. But their chicken and fries are better. I think their spice blend is a superior. Had the chicken sandwich and will be going back. They were crazy busy and handled the drive through with Chick-fil-A like efficiency. All and all I was pretty impressed with them. We'll see how Duke of there other sauces far next trip.
Thought the same thing. Like Zaxbys but better. The seasoning they put on the fries is great. Wasnt a huge fan of the "magoo sauce", they said it was ketchup based but its obviously mayonnaise based. Chicken was great.

Reactions: JCHateSteve

I actually like Wendy's. I will take a Dave's Double over McDonald's, Sonic, and Hardees any day. I am also quiet fond of the Asiago Chicken Club sandwich. But yeah, surrounded by superior competition, Wendy's isn't gonna do well.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I actually like Wendy's. I will take a Dave's Double over McDonald's, Sonic, and Hardees any day. I am also quiet fond of the Asiago Chicken Club sandwich. But yeah, surrounded by superior competition, Wendy's isn't gonna do well.
My first job was at Pal's. They used the same burger patties as Wendy's, back in the 90s. They even had the Wendy's logo on the pieces of parchment paper they put between the patties when boxed for shipping. I have no idea if Wendy's still uses those same patties. But Pal's sure seems to be the same as they've always been. I know "cool story bro".

A hidden gem of a snack is the buffalo chicken slider at Arby's. It's a tender dipped in buffalo sauce on this fluffy bun with peppercorn ranch sauce.
Happy hour with $1 sliders and curly fries is good stuff. I will second the buffalo chicken slider is good.

VN Store

Back