The Chicken Sandwich War

I returned to the Twilight Zone KFC. Aha! This time, the preternaturally clean exterior was blemished by a MickeyD’s large fry sleeve and an empty plastic bottle, plainly dumped out of the passenger side of a vehicle. The offending items laid in a blind spot for workers inside. I reported them to the drivethru staffer, who thanked me and said someone would take care of it. Sure enough, while I was in the drivethru lane, a guy trotted out and swept the items into one of those tilting handled receptacles. This time, my special order (no Mayo) did not delay delivery of my food. It was ready as I pulled up to the window. The staffer was a well spoken young man with tattoos and piercings, as pleasant as the female teen who served me the time before. The sandwich had a huge filet of chicken breast, crunchy outside, hot, juicy, and perfectly cooked with three dill pickle chips. The fries were just cooked and seasoned perfectly. Yes, this KFC is still in the Twilight Zone.
What happened to KFC? 30 years ago it was awesome. More competition to be sure, but that doesn't explain why their quality has fallen off a cliff and has gotten so much worse.

Reactions: VolFaninFla and MAD
What happened to KFC? 30 years ago it was awesome. More competition to be sure, but that doesn't explain why their quality has fallen off a cliff and has gotten so much worse.
KFC and Arby’s both were good back in the day.

I returned to the Twilight Zone KFC. Aha! This time, the preternaturally clean exterior was blemished by a MickeyD’s large fry sleeve and an empty plastic bottle, plainly dumped out of the passenger side of a vehicle. The offending items laid in a blind spot for workers inside. I reported them to the drivethru staffer, who thanked me and said someone would take care of it. Sure enough, while I was in the drivethru lane, a guy trotted out and swept the items into one of those tilting handled receptacles. This time, my special order (no Mayo) did not delay delivery of my food. It was ready as I pulled up to the window. The staffer was a well spoken young man with tattoos and piercings, as pleasant as the female teen who served me the time before. The sandwich had a huge filet of chicken breast, crunchy outside, hot, juicy, and perfectly cooked with three dill pickle chips. The fries were just cooked and seasoned perfectly. Yes, this KFC is still in the Twilight Zone.
You’re a spokesperson for KFC, aren’t you?

You’re a spokesperson for KFC, aren’t you?
No. KFCs have made a poor impression, and I’ve avoided them for decades. Only my quest to try/compare all fast food chicken sandwiches got me to patronize one. The first one fulfilled my foreboding, and, after no movement in the drivethru line for ten minutes, I drove away without ordering. Then, I found the Twilight Zone KFC. I went back because I couldn’t believe the positive impression it made on me.

Reactions: walkenvol and MAD
I think it just depends on how well they are ran. The one near me in Colonial Heights is pretty good. Would not recommend the one across town. Although I've never been inside of the Colonial Heights one, the food is always pretty good.

@JCHateSteve any horror stories from the CH KFC? I think you're in the area iirc

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
KFC quality has gone down hill. I go to my parents house one evening for dinner. My dad goes and picks up a KFC family pack of original chicken(always original for that man). So we fix our plates and proceed to eat the chicken. He is convinced that they gave him crispy instead of original. So then a debate gets started. My mom and I having had crispy chicken on multiple occasions aren't convinced. Yes it was crispier than it should have been but the breading wasn't thick enough to be the crispy recipe. So she and I finally come to the conclusion that it is original recipe chicken but we think they just overcooked it.

I just heard from someone that Popeyes started selling nuggets and they are better than CF, anyone try them yet?

I had them last week. Wasn't all that impressed. They just don't have much flavor. Next time I'll see if they will drizzle the spicy sauce over them. There's a lot of batter on most of them, it just doesn't have much flavor.

Speaking of nuggets I tried Arbys new ones. They were a 5 minute wait (which is fine I'd rather wait 5 minutes than get old ones) chicken was pretty good much better than McDonald's mystery chicken, but I didn't care for the breading.

You in advertising or marketing for KFC, because you just created a KFC hankering

Reactions: VolNExile and MAD
I just heard from someone that Popeyes started selling nuggets and they are better than CF, anyone try them yet?
If they are anything like their chicken sandwich, they're totally fine but highly overrated. I don't know how many times I heard "it's better than Chick-fil-A!" about that damn sandwich. It was fine; I'd eat another one, but was not even close to Chick-fil-A.

I finally got around to trying the McDonald's new chicken sandwich. It's like the third most expensive sandwich. There was no crunch at all on this thing. The flavor was ok but I was not impressed at all.

Here is something people might like from KFC.

TikTok

Last edited:
Mr driver brought me a "Spicy Chicken Sandwich basket" from Culver's today. It was not pleasing. Too bready and the bun was very dry. C-

Popeyes was the king until I got one that was raw. Haven't been back. So CFA is the tops for me, will never have that problem there. The Burger King one sucks. McDonald's is like a cheap version of CFA, edible but nothing crazy. KFC I had once, great price of chicken, but bland everything else so mediocre. Zaxby's was pretty solid though, probably my second after CFA.

I think it just depends on how well they are ran. The one near me in Colonial Heights is pretty good. Would not recommend the one across town. Although I've never been inside of the Colonial Heights one, the food is always pretty good.

@JCHateSteve any horror stories from the CH KFC? I think you're in the area iirc
Don't know how I missed this post. The one on Fort Henry Dr is fine as far as I know. I don't eat there very often though. If I want fried chicken, Nick's is right down the street.

Has anyone tried a newer fast food chicken chain called PDQ, I think it was started by the same people that started Outback and Bonefish. So far they are in Florida, the Carolinas, New York and New Jersey. I’ve heard they are pretty good.

VN Store

Back