The case for why we are not just the #1 ranked team, but the best team in college basketball.

allvoltrey

I am typing up a post and going to put it up tomorrow for why I think we are flat out the best team in the country, but I wanted to hear your guys take on why you think so. I know tomorrow there are going to be all kinds of ACC and Kentucky fans trying to say we deserve the ranking, but are not the best team and I want to have a response that shuts them down! Love being able to defend the #1 team in the land! GBO

I am typing up a post and going to put it up tomorrow for why I think we are flat out the best team in the country, but I wanted to hear your guys take on why you think so. I know tomorrow there are going to be all kinds of ACC and Kentucky fans trying to say we deserve the ranking, but are not the best team and I want to have a response that shuts them down! Love being able to defend the #1 team in the land! GBO
We have the best warmup pants.
We have checkerboard baselines.
We have the best known fight song.
We have much better looking coeds than Ky, UVA, or especially Duke.
Oh, and our actual team is better too. We are not a one or three man team. We are a complete 8-9 man team.

We have the best warmup pants.
We have checkerboard baselines.
We have the best known fight song.
We have much better looking coeds than Ky, UVA, or especially Duke.
Oh, and our actual team is better too. We are not a one or three man team. We are a complete 8-9 man team.

End Thread! :-D

In before "Polls don't matter. Its what you do in the NCAAT".

Haven't been this pumped about our Vols since our coach went extra on EA on national TV ... :-o
[VIDEO=]

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
We are lucky or unlucky that our schedule in the SEC favored us through January and half of February. I think I would hold my post of why they are the best in CBB for awhile. The power teams are in the back end of the schedule. I think you are getting way ahead of yourself.....I mean like way ahead. We have played against a few good athletes so far but we are about to enter another level of play. Just enjoy them games. We still could come out with 6 losses...Someone posted earlier about peaking tooooo soon. Lets see how they perform against the upper echelon of the SEC first. We have won 2 of the games I thought we could lose so far in the SEC. Those 2 teams are no where near the talent we are about to begin to face starting mid February.

We are lucky or unlucky that our schedule in the SEC favored us through January and half of February. I think I would hold my post of why they are the best in CBB for awhile. The power teams are in the back end of the schedule. I think you are getting way ahead of yourself.....I mean like way ahead. We have played against a few good athletes so far but we are about to enter another level of play. Just enjoy them games. We still could come out with 6 losses...Someone posted earlier about peaking tooooo soon. Lets see how they perform against the upper echelon of the SEC first. We have won 2 of the games I thought we could lose so far in the SEC. Those 2 teams are no where near the talent we are about to begin to face starting mid February.
I mean we did beat #1 Gonzaga (#5 now) at a neutral site. And soon to be ranked Louisville at a neutral site. And took a healthy #2 Kansas to overtime. And have won 16 out of 17 games, 14 of which were by double digits

Some good points . Our SEC slate is definitely loaded on the back end. LSU looks very good and UK he same. I say we could possibly only win 1 of those 3 games. I think Miss. St. And AU will be tough games but if we play our best we should be both teams. We ,at slip up and lose to someone else, almost like we did Sat against Bama. Overall, 3 SEC losses and should be enough to win the conference.

I think we are a top 4/5 team.

Our problem is going to be our conference schedule is HEAVY on the back end, so our 3 or 4 losses for the season are all going to probably happen in Feb/March and we'll drop to 9 or 10 and a 2/3 seed in the NCAA.

Reactions: awaitingawin
I mean we did beat #1 Gonzaga (#5 now) at a neutral site. And soon to be ranked Louisville at a neutral site. And took a healthy #2 Kansas to overtime. And have won 16 out of 17 games, 14 of which were by double digits

and look at who we beat by double digits.....Not exactly great teams....

Are you a fortune teller? Who's to say those teams don't hit a lull and end up playing us when they are not playing their best basketball?
Right now you can claim that those teams are tough, but they also play on the road and may end up with losses previous to playing Tennessee.

I think today's rankings will show we earned the right to be #1 this far through the season. It is an accomplishment, not the goal.

Are you a fortune teller? Who's to say those teams don't hit a lull and end up playing us when they are not playing their best basketball?
Right now you can claim that those teams are tough, but they also play on the road and may end up with losses previous to playing Tennessee.

I think today's rankings will show we earned the right to be #1 this far through the season. It is an accomplishment, not the goal.
I liked everything you had to say. Great points! Go Vols! T-minus 4 hours and counting!

Depends on what they consider, record-schedule or eye test. Duke wins the eye test but UT wins the record schedule test. You would expect Duke to get stronger day by day as the 4 freshmen learn to play defense.

As posted above..."peaking to soon" is exactly what worries me. Typically the teams that make a sustainable run to the Elite 8 and Final 4 year in and year out (UK or kansas ..etc) ALWAYS seem to time the peak right. I dont necessarily think we will be gassed by then but definitely expect some more losses.

Reactions: awaitingawin
As posted above..."peaking to soon" is exactly what worries me. Typically the teams that make a sustainable run to the Elite 8 and Final 4 year in and year out (UK or kansas ..etc) ALWAYS seem to time the peak right. I dont necessarily think we will be gassed by then but definitely expect some more losses.

I'm not worried about this team peaking based on what barnes has been saying about their defense. I know from this point forward they will be working more on defense than offense. I think he is trying to create a team that plays defense like last years team without the scoring droughts that plagued them in almost all of their losses. That would be a great team, 70 points of consistent offense with a shut down defense.

Vols have play SEC schedule, who knows on any given night who is playing well ,that's why games are played. I am totally enjoying this team and I expect some losses , its a tough league and road games are brutal. But I like watch this team play not intimidated or scared, their attitude is lets play next game, I cant say past Vol BB teams have the moxie this team has shown. You cant win all the games by 40, but I would love that too. GO VOLS

Clearly b/c of depth and overall experience. We have an 8-10 player rotation, with different players each night having the ability to get hot. What I mean is, the Vols don't rely on just one or two players, 6 or 7 truly make an impact on the game on any given night. Some of these other teams are made up of talented players, i.e. Duke who has the #1,2,and 3 players from last years class, but they are just talented with minimal college basketball experience. This will win them a lot of games, but they will also experience a few losses b/c of this reason too. The Vols have a complete team, and it shows.

I certainly agree with the way you framed your post...."this far through the season" . That was the right way to do it imo and I do think we should be ranked as #1 for our play this far through the season. Very well stated

I'm not worried about this team peaking based on what barnes has been saying about their defense. I know from this point forward they will be working more on defense than offense. I think he is trying to create a team that plays defense like last years team without the scoring droughts that plagued them in almost all of their losses. That would be a great team, 70 points of consistent offense with a shut down defense.

I'm sure Barnes knows how to manage the "peak" (hopefully anyway). Defense or not, what we do have going for us is so far is outside of Bama this weekend and kansas our wins have been relatively routine with this group. Like mentioned above, we are just now really starting to get into the meat of the schedule. The next 2 months will tell the story. Every team needs a scare or two and or a couple of losses mid to late season in my opinion. I think we will have that.

VN Store

Back