The 2nd career adventures of Yankee

I’m guessing the dealership doesn’t care how they get their money but can you get a better deal by dropping cash?
No. I just had a client come in with $90k.
Long time client. We were talking On phone and he said I’m coming down to see you. Will you Make me a good deal if you I pay cash? I’m thinking he’s going to write a check. Jokingly, I said sure, bring all you got. He emptied the safe! Bought three that day totaling around $260k. So, he still had to write a check.

Cash is a pain in the ass. Where cash helps is if you are buying somewhere that deals with a lot of credit challenged people. I don’t have that clientele.

Reactions: C-south
No. I just had a client come in with $90k.
Long time client. We were talking On phone and he said I’m coming down to see you. Will you Make me a good deal if you I pay cash? I’m thinking he’s going to write a check. Jokingly, I said sure, bring all you got. He emptied the safe! Bought three that day totaling around $260k. So, he still had to write a check.

Cash is a pain in the ass. Where cash helps is if you are buying somewhere that deals with a lot of credit challenged people. I don’t have that clientele.

What I figured and I doubt it would be easy to find what I wanted at those types of dealers. Credit isn’t the problem was just curious if cash offered any kind of leverage.

What I figured and I doubt it would be easy to find what I wanted at those types of dealers. Credit isn’t the problem was just curious if cash offered any kind of leverage.
Nope. With the internet and people willing to travel for a good deal, you gotta advertise your best price.

Cash, check, financing is all the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roustabout
You’d be surprised. High end dealers still get every kind of trade imaginable. My daughters car was a trade, which I snatched up quick. $3500 and been great.

You’d be surprised. High end dealers still get every kind of trade imaginable. My daughters car was a trade, which I snatched up quick. $3500 and been great.

Yep. There's that dealer in Nashville that will take anything that don't eat.

Don’t know about that, but had a client trade a $12k Kia on a $200k plus vehicle just this week.

Dang, went from a Kia to a Bentley. Nice windfall.

Can't recall if that dealer is in Nashville or outskirts somewhere, but they do one of those bone head commercials and always say they'll trade for anything that don't eat. Those commercials where you can't even make out what they're saying.

Can't recall if that dealer is in Nashville or outskirts somewhere, but they do one of those bone head commercials and always say they'll trade for anything that don't eat. Those commercials where you can't even make out what they're saying.
Lebanon

Reactions: GVF
Most would prefer that you finance. They get paid by the lender to originate the loan.

What I figured. I suppose the best way would be to walk in with a substantial down payment, make a decent offer, then leave and see if they call back.

What I figured. I suppose the best way would be to walk in with a substantial down payment, make a decent offer, then leave and see if they call back.

I see a lot of offers for $x number of dollars rebate if you finance through the manufactures finance arm. Take that then pay it off before your first payment if you can.

Wasn’t a Bentley, and was a different backstory.
The cheese factor in the car biz is the worst. So glad to have never dealt with that.

If you make a decent offer, regardless of payment, you will not have to leave and wait for a call back.

If you make a decent offer, regardless of payment, you will not have to leave and wait for a call back.

Back in the 80's, pre-internet, had a grad professor who never set foot on a car lot. Did not impulse buy, or pick this option or that, etc. He would send a letter out to 4 or 5 dealers in the region and make his offer. He would offer invoice plus $500 on the vehicle. And on any options he requested he would offer cost plus, maybe 15%. And he would exclude any add-ons he wasn't willing to pay for. First one to contact him and accept his offer made a sale, and he always had atleast one dealer accept.

Back in the 80's, pre-internet, had a grad professor who never set foot on a car lot. Did not impulse buy, or pick this option or that, etc. He would send a letter out to 4 or 5 dealers in the region and make his offer. He would offer invoice plus $500 on the vehicle. And on any options he requested he would offer cost plus, maybe 15%. And he would exclude any add-ons he wasn't willing to pay for. First one to contact him and accept his offer made a sale, and he always had atleast one dealer accept.
I’d say he did. He was not a bright person.
I could write a book on all the stupid crap I’ve seen buyers do thinking they know what they are doing.
Pre internet, there was no way to really verify factory invoice. You were dependent on the honesty of the dealer. Plus, factory invoice doesn’t reveal incentives, trunk money, dealer cash, rebates.

Reactions: Go aeiou and GVF
I’d say he did. He was not a bright person.
I could write a book on all the stupid crap I’ve seen buyers do thinking they know what they are doing.
Pre internet, there was no way to really verify factory invoice. You were dependent on the honesty of the dealer. Plus, factory invoice doesn’t reveal incentives, trunk money, dealer cash, rebates.

Even if he did have true invoice, $500 on your typical run of the mill vehicle would have been a decent offer back in the 1980s.

He probably could have walked into all five of the dealerships and left with that deal.

Cadillac XT6 today. 15 for the month. Should be able to set a new high in sales

Reactions: McDad
Sold a '21 Colorado yesterday. Good way to start off the month

Finally sold a Trax (new). The last Chevy I hadn't sold yet.

Also one used today.

VN Store

Back