The car selling adventures of Yankee

walkenvol

What are some opinions of CarMax on here?

My opinion of them prior to looking for a truck recently, was low. I feel they are overpriced. But if they are, I would say some of that is the convenience you are getting. I can know what I want and get a search of that vehicle with like a 1000 mile radius and have them deliver it to me.

Anyway, I’ve gone from thinking poorly of them, for really no reason in particular. To now looking at their site more and more due to convenience.

Any good or bad experiences?
I’m on the pro-Car Max side. Never bought a car there myself, but my in laws have purchased a couple. Obviously you pay a premium to have a large collection of used cars brought together in a safe place, but many people are happy to pay for that or they would go out of business. As for trade ins, my FIL bought a Lexus there a couple years prior to his passing. When the family was disposing of the estate they took the car back to CarMax and got 90% of the purchase price from 2 years prior - considerably more than I expected. I would give them a look if I were in the market

malinoisvol

1 in a thousand
I bought a Cadillac XT5 through Carvana in November 20. Then sold them our Kia Sorento in December 20. Extremely happy with the entire experience.

Got a mail offer to purchase our XT5 yesterday from Parkside Cadillac for almost $2k more than what we paid for it in 20. Crazy time we live in.

YankeeVol

This is the way
What are some opinions of CarMax on here?

My opinion of them prior to looking for a truck recently, was low. I feel they are overpriced. But if they are, I would say some of that is the convenience you are getting. I can know what I want and get a search of that vehicle with like a 1000 mile radius and have them deliver it to me.

Anyway, I’ve gone from thinking poorly of them, for really no reason in particular. To now looking at their site more and more due to convenience.

Any good or bad experiences?
For a used car dealer, they aren’t bad in todays market.

During normal times, they are more expensive and zero haggling.

YankeeVol

This is the way
I bought a Cadillac XT5 through Carvana in November 20. Then sold them our Kia Sorento in December 20. Extremely happy with the entire experience.

Got a mail offer to purchase our XT5 yesterday from Parkside Cadillac for almost $2k more than what we paid for it in 20. Crazy time we live in.
Buying a used Cadillac is much smarter* than buying new considering how much Cadillac’s depreciate.

*if used is your thing.

VN Store