The Best Football HC We're Hired in 30 Years ...

DiderotsGhost

... and people are complaining.

Seriously. I'm not saying I know how Heupel will automatically work out but this is easily our best hire on paper since Majors. Other hires:

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Kiffin. Failed NFL coach.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Butch Jones. Semi-successful G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

Heupel's probably the most accomplished of the entire bunch. He's had some of the best offenses in all of college football for the past 3 years and had a great track record as OC and QB coach before that. If he gets Jeff Lebby as OC (which isn't a sure thing), we'll probably have the best offensive staff in the nation. If we keep Kevin Steele as DC, we'll be in great shape with the staff.

No, things won't be turned around in Year 1 or even Year 2, with all the crap disadvantages the new staff will have to start with (transfer portal, potential penalties), but this is a reasonably good hire and a "great hire" by "Tenesseee over the past 2 decades" standards. One thing I do like is that Heupel is likely committed for the long-term; he didn't come here with the current situation to just be here for 2-3 years.

Feel like Battered Vol Syndrome is taking over for some on here. No, it's not a "Home Run Hire", but it's a solid double and maybe we get lucky in 3-5 years and he'll round home plate. At a bare minimum, this is a big upgrade at HC.

Seriously. I'm not saying I know how Heupel will automatically work out but this is easily our best hire on paper since Majors. Other hires:

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

Heupel's probably the most accomplished of the entire bunch. He's had some of the best offenses in all of college football for the past 3 years and had a great track record as OC and QB coach before that. If he gets Jeff Lebby as OC (which isn't a sure thing), we'll probably have the best offensive staff in the nation. If we keep Kevin Steele as DC, we'll be in great shape with the staff.

No, things won't be turned around in Year 1 or even Year 2, with all the crap disadvantages the new staff will have to start with (transfer portal, potential penalties), but this is a reasonably good hire and a "great hire" by "Tenesseee over the past 2 decades" standards. One thing I do like is that Heupel is likely committed for the long-term; he didn't come here with the current situation to just be here for 2-3 years.

Feel like Battered Vol Syndrome is taking over for some on here. No, it's not a "Home Run Hire", but it's a solid double and maybe we get lucky in 3-5 years and he'll round home plate. At a bare minimum, this is a big upgrade at HC.
He!! yea!:cool:

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

Some here would complain no matter who it was

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

I predict 7 wins the first year barring several starters transferring, or becoming ineligible. Which will be a great improvement.

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

JH has simply followed Frost and not done a good job at it , whoever follows Saban will win games for a while does that mean they were a good hire ?

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

Agreed, we are in a good position now. Go Vols!

Look. I'm hopeful that he'll get a great staff together and put an exciting product on the field. I think he's the most successful coach since Butch.

Heupel trended downward in his 3 years at UCF.
Butch trended up in his 3 years w/ the Bearcats.

Fulmer. Unproven OC.
Dooley. Failed G5 coach.
Pruitt. Unproven DC.

You would have made this post, regardless of who we hired.

A downward trajectory and we’re supposed to be happy with it? Should’ve been Freeze.
What part of "NCAA sanctions" do you not understand?? As a program that's about to get hit with NCAA sanctions, we CANNOT hire a coach who was fired from his previous job because of NCAA sanctions! Why are some of you choosing to guard your ignorance on this matter?? Freeze is not an option!

A downward trajectory and we’re supposed to be happy with it? Should’ve been Freeze.

LOL. A "downward trajectory." He inherited a 13-0 team.

What was he supposed to do? Go 14-0 in Year 1, 15-0 in year 2, and 16-0 in Year 3?

He went 28-8 in 3 years. And 2 of his losses last year were decided at the last second. He had some of the most prolific offenses in CFB. And frankly, Steele is probably an upgrade at DC

What part of "NCAA sanctions" do you not understand?? As a program that's about to get hit with NCAA sanctions, we CANNOT hire a coach who was fired from his previous job because of NCAA sanctions! Why are some of you choosing to guard your ignorance on this matter?? Freeze is not an option!

“Won’t hire” doesn’t equal “can’t hire.” What bearing would that have on the outcome of the investigation?

I didn’t know this. UCF went 10-3 in 2019 with all three losses by a combined 5 points. Then this year they lost 3 regular season by 12 (but got blown out by probably the best team BYU has fielded in a bowl to make it 4 losses). In a normal year, that would have likely been a 9-4 season.

So his first year they were undefeated in the regular season (lost bowl to LSU), and the six regular season losses for 2019 and 2020 were by a combined 17 points. Lot better than the blowouts we’ve been having.

Not to mention there is more and more parody in the American as the years go by. It’s becoming a stronger conference, so a small slide from Frost is to be expected. Not to mention their small slide probably had more to do with McKenzie Milton than Frost departing

LOL. A "downward trajectory." He inherited a 13-0 team.

What was he supposed to do? Go 14-0 in Year 1, 15-0 in year 2, and 16-0 in Year 3?

He went 28-8 in 3 years. And 2 of his losses last year were decided at the last second. He had some of the most prolific offenses in CFB. And frankly, Steele is probably an upgrade at DC

Now tell us about Pruitt's prolific defenses before coming here. How did that work out? Enjoy watching his defense here?

I didn’t know this. UCF went 10-3 in 2019 with all three losses by a combined 5 points. Then this year they lost 3 regular season by 12 (but got blown out by probably the best team BYU has fielded in a bowl to make it 4 losses). In a normal year, that would have likely been a 9-4 season.

So his first year they were undefeated in the regular season (lost bowl to LSU), and the six regular season losses for 2019 and 2020 were by a combined 17 points. Lot better than the blowouts we’ve been having.

Not to mention there is more and more parody in the American as the years go by. It’s becoming a stronger conference, so a small slide from Frost is to be expected. Not to mention their small slide probably had more to do with McKenzie Milton than Frost departing

Same BYU team Chadwell beat?

VN Store

Back