The best coach ever to coach in Tennessee the Vols should have hired him. Who?

Our SEC brethren are correct. Confusing title is confusing.

Whoever the Wyoming coach was.

Joking aside, he's seriously a good coach. I think he coached at Nebraska under Osborne.

Why do you single out the Vols for not hiring him? There are over 100 Div I program’s that had the same opportunity and did not hire him. Who do you think neglected to hire the guy from Grambling? He beat Bear Bryant’s win record.

If you are insinuating race UT was a trend setter in the SEC with Lester McClain and Condrege Holloway during that period.

Big John was a Nashville legend..He would show up at Nashville area high schools to watch their practices in his big Cadillac and pull it right down to the field (nobody ever seemed to mind)..His big stogey cigar and booming deep voice were his trademarks but his ability to spot real talent was maybe his greatest gift..The CFL was FULL of his graduated QB's..Joe "747" Adams, Gilbert Renfroe and Brian Ransom, to name a few, had great careers in Canada as NFL teams still refused to accept black QB's ("Jefferson Street" Joe Gilliam, a TSU QB, was an exception)...And DL like Claude Humphrey and Ed "Too Tall" Jones had stellar NFL careers as well..Big John was probably not a household name to many outside Nashville..But IMHO he was one of the greatest coaching talents to walk the sidelines in Tenn and would've succeeded in any era at any level.....

Big John was “The Man”

I was fortunate to be able to sit and talk/listen to Coach Joe Gilliam tell story after story about him on numerous occasions.

Reactions: TnScooby
John Merritt
John Merritt - Wikipedia

My dad and I use to watch that show every Sunday morning. Soft spoken, football smarts. I guess the time had not arrived to hire big John at the time. Shame.
Former Oklahoma head football coach Barry Switzer(Who was then Oklahoma OC under Chuck Fairbanks) wanted the Tennessee job badly in 1970 and talked to people at Tennessee about it. Tennessee should have hired Barry Switzer in 1970 and Tennessee could have went toe to toe with Bear Bryant and Alabama in the 1970s.

Former Oklahoma head football coach Barry Switzer(Who was then Oklahoma OC under Chuck Fairbanks) wanted the Tennessee job badly in 1970 and talked to people at Tennessee about it. Tennessee should have hired Barry Switzer in 1970 and Tennessee could have went toe to toe with Bear Bryant and Alabama in the 1970s.

Nah....we'd only just now be getting off probation.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
That fat bastard Wodruff could have hired almost any coach in the country when Dickey left. So he hired a 28 year old wr coach.

That fat bastard Wodruff could have hired almost any coach in the country when Dickey left. So he hired a 28 year old wr coach.
At the very least he should have hired Johnny Majors from Iowa State:rolleyes: The people in the Tennessee athletic department went along with the hire of Bill Battle because they thought if they didn't they would have to replace Bob Woodruff as Athletic Director:(:rolleyes:

VN Store

Back