The Atlanta Braves Thread

What “he is” is the best coach in the history of the program by far. He consistently puts a top 10 team on the floor. He and his team have absolutely zero bad publicity ever.
Wouldn't say "by far," but you certainly can make the argument that he's the best coach in the history of the program.

He isn't "by far" better than Ray Mears or Pearl. Especially Mears.
The guy who had players constantly arrested, managed to get a show-cause and land not only basketball but also football in ncaa crosshairs?

Before even getting into the on court differences?

Yeah, by far.

The guy who had players constantly arrested, managed to get a show-cause and land not only basketball but also football in ncaa crosshairs?

Before even getting into the on court differences?

Yeah, by far.
Or Ray Mears. I don't think Barnes is better than Mears, personally. I do think he's better than Pearl, especially if you consider the off-the-court stuff that happened.

Mears won 70% of his conference games over 15 years, Ernie and Bernie show, and supposedly was the genesis for multiple traditions. If he had a modern NCAAT to get into, he would have also been in the tournament basically every single year at a high seed.

What “he is” is the best coach in the history of the program by far. He consistently puts a top 10 team on the floor. He and his team have absolutely zero bad publicity ever.

Well until Uros decided he was King Kong Bundy

Or Ray Mears. I don't think Barnes is better than Mears, personally. I do think he's better than Pearl, especially if you consider the off-the-court stuff that happened.

Mears won 70% of his conference games over 15 years, Ernie and Bernie show, and supposedly was the genesis for multiple traditions. If he had a modern NCAAT to get into, he would have also been in the tournament basically every single year at a high seed.

Definitely Barnes over Pearl, but Mears definitely deserves his flowers

In defense of the good Deacon, he had those boys in position to win the game. All they had to do were hit lay-ups and point blank put-backs, which the team failed at greatly for large chunks of time.

Reactions: Volfan1000
In defense of the good Deacon, he had those boys in position to win the game. All they had to do were hit lay-ups and point blank put-backs, which the team failed at greatly for large chunks of time.
Yes. True. But those are HIS players that looked like your local girls high school team lol.

The truth, like most things, lies there in the middle. Best coach we’ve ever had, not good enough to get over the hump.

Yes. True. But those are HIS players that looked like your local girls high school team lol.

The truth, like most things, lies there in the middle. Best coach we’ve ever had, not good enough to get over the hump.
Both Rick's biggest critics and fans are correct in what they say about him. It's weird. I really don't take issue with anything his allies say about him, and the only thing his critics do that I take issue with is expecting us to make consistent runs beyond the Sweet 16. Their expectations are way out of whack. They judge Rick harshly based upon his failure to do that, even though the program has only made one Elite Eight in history.

He's a good coach because he consistently puts you in NCAATs with a seed that gives you a good chance to make a run. The tournament is random, but he doesn't go as far in them as often as he should, and lots of his teams don't come together offensively. He's a great coach for this program, but it wouldn't cut it at basketball schools.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back