The Atlanta Braves Thread: Frosty Takes

How did we (or maybe I) never know Coldplay’s backstory?

Chris Martin was bouncing around jobs at UPS and Lowe’s while still clinging to his dream of playing Major League Baseball. An injury made those dreams unrealistic, but he kept working at his game and got the chance to try out for the Boston Red Sox organization. Only problem? He was broke. So his dad, a hardworking roofer, stepped in and gave his son the $650 he needed for the plane ticket.

Now, more than a decade later, Martin can afford his own plane tickets after signing a $17 million contract for the Boston Red Sox. Unfortunately, his dad Matt passed away last year after a long bout with an illness. To honor the father that gave him his dream, Martin pitches in his dad’s memory.

"He was always there for me, and I knew he was looking down and I definitely got help from him, I believe, once he passed," Martin said. "It's just a weird, weird, weird situation. I'm not trying to say that once he passed away, it was like, 'OK, it's fine,' but it just felt like a weight had been lifted. I knew he was in a better place."

Matt did get to see the fruits of his sacrifices for his son, as he got to watch him win a World Series with the Atlanta Braves in 2021. Martin’s family called it one of the happiest moments of his dad’s life.

You can always count on your dad to have your back, even when you’re still chasing a childhood dream many would’ve given up on.

Reactions: zjcvols

VN Store

Back