The Atlanta Braves Thread

Was out of town for about the last 10 days and am catching up, but looks like the same old same old. Looking more and more like a lost season.

The series against the Cards was nice, but we lost 2 out of 3 to Miami and both to Boston. I just don't see this team ever putting it all together and finishing around .500, which is a huge underachievement.

The leftists who replied to the tweet (Tim Burke used to write for Deadspin) agonizing over agreeing with Kavanaugh about something is hilarious.

I will say though that the only athletes who aren't fairly compensated in the whole deal are the stars of the two major sports, football and basketball. Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Zion Williamson, and other players who might not be starts but are really good players are not fairly compensated by the current system. The value they brought to their schools is far in excess of the value of the scholarship they received.

However, I still think it is a great deal for the marginal players in the major sports, or for any player in the non-revenue producing sports. The value they receive is in excess of the value they create for their school.
The local radio station was unanimous that the federal government should override the states and pass some legislation around compensation so that competitive balance is maintained. I say tough for everybody else, you want to compete with Alabama compensate appropriately. If the federal government needed to make any legislation, it should be that nobody should have their right to earn money dictated by anybody, college athletics restrictions or even non-competes should be illegal. The federal government should spend more time protecting individuals and not institutions or corporations.

Where do we start ranking deGrom amongst the all-time greatest to ever do it?
He'd need to continue at a very good pace (not a pace like this, but a very good one) until his late 30s, IMO. He was something of a late bloomer; his rookie year was at age 26. He's been other-worldly each of the last 3 years, one of which was COVID-shortened, and he's been mind-boggling good this year. This is the most dominant ~70 inning stretch of a pitcher that I can ever remember.

As incredible as he has been, it still is a relatively short track record when you are talking about HoF candidacy. If he pitches for several more years and he's at least pretty good, he's a no-doubt HoFer. If he retired today, or if something happened to him, I'm not sure he is.

The lowest SP era OAT is a 0.86 and that occurred in 1886 and the pitcher threw 107 innings.

de grom is absolutely on pace to demolish this record. What he is doing is by far the most dominant pitching the game has ever seen.

VN Store

Back