The Atlanta Braves Thread

The comp wasn’t charles barkley production. It was dropping charles barkley into today’s NBA and saying what can he do effectively do? It was dumb and will always be dumb.
Yeah I mean athletically there really aren’t any comps. Blake Griffin maybe but no. He is just a Bo Jackson type freak.

The comp wasn’t charles barkley production. It was dropping charles barkley into today’s NBA and saying what can he do effectively do? It was dumb and will always be dumb.

Pretty sure when I brought Barkley up as a comparison I specified something like "Barkley with modern training and nutrition instead of beer and hotdogs at Auburn." If your takeaway was that I was talking about translating actual Barkley as he was then into the modern NBA, then I worded it badly, because my basic position across all sports is that almost players from the past would get dominated in the modern era. I mean, there were NBA players who smoked outside the locker room at halftime back then. It's basically a different sport now. If you brought 1992 Michael Jordan forward in time and put him up against Kawhi Leonard then Jordan's getting completely swallowed up.

Still don't think it's a bad comparison because, while Zion is obviously more physically gifted than Barkley, so are all the guys he'll be playing against. And Barkely was something like an all-time top 25 player! I guess for anyone under 40 he'll never be anything other than a tub of goo yukking it up on TNT, but that guy was a freaking force of nature in his prime. He averaged something like 25+ points and 10+ rebounds for five or six years in a row. How much better than that do you think Zion's going to be?

Last edited:
Pretty sure when I brought Barkley up as a comparison I specified something like "Barkley with modern training and nutrition instead of beer and hotdogs at Auburn." If your takeaway was that I was talking about translating actual Barkley as he was then into the modern NBA, then I worded it badly, because my basic position across all sports is that almost players from the past would get dominated in the modern era. I mean, there were NBA players who smoked outside the locker room at halftime back then. It's basically a different sport now. If you brought 1992 Michael Jordan forward in time and put him up against Kawhi Leonard then Jordan's getting completely swallowed up.

Still don't think it's a bad comparison because, while Zion is obviously more physically gifted than Barkley, so are all the guys he'll be playing against. And Barkely was something like an all-time top 25 player! I guess for anyone under 40 he'll never be anything other than a tub of goo yukking it up on TNT, but that guy was a freaking force of nature in his prime. He averaged something like 25+ points and 10+ rebounds for five or six years in a row. How much better than that do you think Zion's going to be?
Yep, and it is really frustrating when people, I think intentionally, misunderstand that argument.

I've seen various places people make arguments like "if you dropped 1958 Jim Brown in today's NFL, he'd get killed," and that's supposed to mean he's overrated or wasn't any good. It's so stupid.

Yep, and it is really frustrating when people, I think intentionally, misunderstand that argument.

I've seen various places people make arguments like "if you dropped 1958 Jim Brown in today's NFL, he'd get killed," and that's supposed to mean he's overrated or wasn't any good. It's so stupid.
Not as stupid as changing your entire argument weeks after making it and trying to blame someone else’s understanding of your ****** point

MJ would have excelled in any era. He was a better Kobe, had more of a killer instinct than anyone, and possibly the most competitive athlete ever. Like, unhealthily competitive.

Reactions: TBrown
Not as stupid as changing your entire argument weeks after making it and trying to blame someone else’s understanding of your ****** point

Jesus Christ man. I compared him theoretically to Barkley, clarified at the time that I mean in the context of his era when you pushed back on it, but now weeks later I'm trying to change my entire argument. Okay.

I doubt many of you guys remember Charles Barkley the basketball player instead of the TV character but he was built more or less the same way. 6-6 ish, widebody, could jump out of the gym. Physically Zion's more or less what young Barkley would have been if he'd had advanced sports training and nutrition at Auburn in 1982 instead of hot dogs and milkshakes. So he's got a little more bounce than Barkley did, but then of course so will the guys defending him.

I will grant that if he's "Barkley, but can shoot threes like Kyle Korver" then that will be something to behold. I have no idea if he's really supposed to be able to shoot like that or not.

Reactions: volsarelife1
MJ would have excelled in any era. He was a better Kobe, had more of a killer instinct than anyone, and possibly the most competitive athlete ever. Like, unhealthily competitive.
That's one opinion I've changed my mind on over the years. When I was younger and I'd hear that some team or player won because "they wanted it more," I'd always scoff and think "That's so stupid, all of them want to win."

The older I get, I see that yes, they do all want to win (I think), but it's to different degrees.

VN Store

Back