The Atlanta Braves Thread

Could have had Soroka-Sanchez game 1 Friday in Atlanta.

Or, they could have set up the rotation in a way that plays to win the Divisional Series instead of pretending we had already won the series before it started. You don't throw your 3-4 best pitcher in the rotation twice in a five game series. He gave them one good start which is all you can expect; Tehran could have done the same. Instead you burn through the bullpen in game 4 like there are an endless supply of pitchers down there and force a starter who hasn't pitched in a while to come in a crucial time as a relief pitcher.

It’s unbelievable. At some point the goal has to be more than win the division. Thus far that doesn’t seem to be the case with the FO
That's the problem oftentimes with corporate ownership. Liberty Media sees the Braves as a nice asset to have that probably throws off good cash flow and helps their financials look better. Sure, there's more money to be made if the team is really good, but having a really good team means spending more money to have good players. However, just like with anything else, there's a risk/reward associated with that. From LM's perspective, the incremental gains to be made above and beyond what they are already making isn't worth the risk of spending money to make the team better. So they're OK with things just being as they are.

Say what you want to about Jerry Jones and his meddling, but the guy isn't cheap and wants to win. Mark Cuban is that way, among others. Ted Turner was that way. Of course they want the team to make money, but they've also already made a ton of money themselves and aren't using the team as a vehicle primarily for making corporate finances look better. They own the team because it's something fun and glamorous for rich people to do, they want to win, and they are willing to spend the money to have a good team.

Reactions: hooter vol
A #2 that pisses himself with any pressure. An all star first baseman that looks like a rookie right now. A whatever Markakis is in the outfield. A Mediocre bullpen. Three catchers who are nothing but average if that. There are still too many holes on this roster
To be fair, this was Freddie's first postseason where he s**t the bed. He was OK in 2018 and great in the 2012 WC game and 2013 NLDS. He's only played in 14 career playoff games.

The other stuff you mentioned, yes, those are holes. I feel terrible for Folty because I'm sure he felt a lot of pressure in Game 2 and pitched awesome. Nobody will remember that now because of Game 5. The bullpen has been this team's Achilles heel for the last 2 years. Melancon, Martin, et al was a Band Aid on a bullet hole. I tried to tell y'all when we signed him that Melancon was not all that different from Luke Jackson; he just had more of a pedigree and has closed before. He actually did pitch quite a bit better for Atlanta this year than he did SF, but he stunk in the playoffs.

They know they screwed up, they are trying to offset it by tinkering with it during postseason as an experiment? Or trial run on a small scale?
That's a helluva time to manipulate the ball.

I hate 3 outcome hitting, but they can't let guys get 500 ABs one way and then decide to take it old school just because they can.

That's a helluva time to manipulate the ball.

I hate 3 outcome hitting, but they can't let guys get 500 ABs one way and then decide to take it old school just because they can.
You’re right. The real b itch Is going to be clubs signing players to values they won’t be worth when they adjust the balls back to pre juiced. They really screwed the pooch.

You’re right. The real b itch Is going to be clubs signing players to values they won’t be worth when they adjust the balls back to pre juiced. They really screwed the pooch.
Yep... Somebody is going to give Josh Donaldson a 3 year deal and they're going to look up next Labor Day when he's got 17 HRs and wonder what happened.

F him and their organization and mostly yadi
Best thing about the series being over: I don't have to listen to an endless commercial about how great Yadi is.

I get it. He's been around awhile and has a good arm. Meanwhile, a guy whose been around just as long retired yesterday with a career OPS that's a full 50 points higher.

F the Braves for not backing Acuna.
I'm really ticked for the way they treated him in this series. It was an absolute disgrace. He didn't run. he should have. But they drug his name through the mud and then didn't defend him when he was clearly hit intentionally. Shameful.

VN Store

Back