The Association Football Thread

See, you say "woot" and I say, "UGH!!!"
Those were supposed to be our All-Stars. If our MLS studs can't even beat a single (average) Premier League team, how will we ever be able to pretend to be worthy of real international respect?
I get it, Everton isn't bad, and Howard plays for Team USA with the big stuff. But that game should have never come down to PKs.

You have to remember that the all star players had only had 2 practices together. The shots were something like 20-5 in the MLS's favor so they did control the majority of the game, but there was a lack of understanding between our attacking players in the final third. Not using it as an excuse because I agree with you, but that definitely makes it harder.

Those were supposed to be our All-Stars. If our MLS studs can't even beat a single (average) Premier League team, how will we ever be able to pretend to be worthy of real international respect?
I get it, Everton isn't bad, and Howard plays for Team USA with the big stuff. But that game should have never come down to PKs.

it's just a group of players thrown together. Sometimes teams make their all-stars look much better.

This is from an article on the game:

2. The MLS setup. All-Star games are a tactical conundrum waiting to happen. So it was with Dominic Kinnear, taking his first bite off the All-Star managerial apple. With just five defenders and only one true holding midfielder, Kinnear was going to need some kind of novelty formation.
So he lined up the MLS men in a 3-4-3, although not any 3-4-3 that a serious manager would choose for a serious match. It took the MLS side 25 minutes to gain its footing in the formation. Essentially, there were too many guys out wide and not enough charges in the middle to get it to them. Not only that, but nine of the 11 MLS starters were All-Star newbies. Kinnear said his team was tentative early, although things looked more settled following Davis' 26th-minute goal.
"It took us a little while to get going," Kinnear said. "The first 10 or 15 minutes we looked a bit nervous. But then I thought after we scored we did some good stuff, and as the game wore on we created some good chances."

Everton are probably in the top 15-25 club teams in the world. they finished 5th in the prem last year, even with their whole strike force out and only a loan signing in Jo upfront. Losing to them is not a disgrace and they arent an average premier league team, they are the closest to the big 4(as much as it pains me to say as a Villa fan) and if they finished 4th this year it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

People like Lescott and Yakubu are top-class even world class players and they have have built around them well.

Embarrassing. Can someone explain to me why MLS forwards don't take better strikes?

because they arent good enough?

apart from my boy Juan Pablo Angel that dudes a legend

I know these guys can a least get a good one off their foot. I mean it's not like they're even having to make the chances happen to take a chance, I mean, there was a point in the All-Stars vs Everton game, where the ball came back outside the penalty area where one of our guys was running down the field, and instead of taking the shot off the first touch he tries to be fancy, even though there was no one marking him. I see this type of thing a lot over here and it pisses me off.

I know these guys can a least get a good one off their foot. I mean it's not like they're even having to make the chances happen to take a chance, I mean, there was a point in the All-Stars vs Everton game, where the ball came back outside the penalty area where one of our guys was running down the field, and instead of taking the shot off the first touch he tries to be fancy, even though there was no one marking him. I see this type of thing a lot over here and it pisses me off.

you have to have confidence to take that shot. While the players are decent, there's a reason most one touch shots from 20-30yds in the MLS end up 20 rows deep.

Big match tomorrow for Team USA. They are playing @ Mexico, where they are 0-22-1. It's a World Cup Qualifying match, so it would be nice to get this win.
I wonder if it will be on ESPN, or FSC.

dunno, but for whatever reason I have a good feeling about this game. I'll be enjoying in hostile territory at Soccer Taco, though. More Mexico fans than USA fans there.

As far as I know its not going to be on Espn or FSC... It is showing on Telemundo Channel and Mun2...

dunno, but for whatever reason I have a good feeling about this game. I'll be enjoying in hostile territory at Soccer Taco, though. More Mexico fans than USA fans there.

That would be sick to watch it at Soccer Taco. You should come dressed in an American flag with some construction helmets.

And for the game, I doubt we win. i would love a draw.

You actually have to be careful about what you say. I was complaining about the lame "penalty kick" call (the first one), and it was making some guys puff up.

This is the best chance to beat Mexico down there the US has had. I still think the pollution and elevation will take its toll, but this US team plays a more possessive type game than teams of the past. Maybe that will allow them to slow it down and catch their breaths during a few periods during the game.

How are you watching this? Not on TV. Help be appreciated!

I have directTV and it gave us a channel that had it for free. It's channel 203.

1-1 Mexico scores in 20th minute. US has got to start possessing it or were going to get beat by 3 goals.

Try Telemundo, maybe, if you've got it? You might not get English, but big deal.

I too am watching on DirecTV.

1-1 Half.

US looked dead tired. The effect the altitude and pollution has on players is absolutely incredible. It looked like it took a huge effort to just make the simplest of passes. US has to slow the game down and work the ball on the wings and attack in numbers to win in the second half.

What's funny is that Mexico is still fourth place since Honduras beat Costa Rica so badly. I think we'll still be alright. The team is playing well together. It would just be hard for anyone to compete in an atmosphere like the one yesterday.

VN Store

Back