The American Athletic Conference Signed A 1 Billion Dollar TV Deal With ESPN

ESPN is throwing around money pretty freely for them being in finantial trouble
They laid off all those people to free up money to commit to stuff like this. Live sports is about the only relevant thing they broadcast now, and they know it.

ESPN has ESPN+ now, a streaming option, but they were about 5 years behind the curve on debuting it because I think many of the media rights deals they signed had them contractually prohibited from having a streaming service.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
They laid off all those people to free up money to commit to stuff like this. Live sports is about the only relevant thing they broadcast now, and they know it.

ESPN has ESPN+ now, a streaming option, but they were about 5 years behind the curve on debuting it because I think many of the media rights deals they signed had them contractually prohibited from having a streaming service.
This is true. Their best business move was letting all the insiders go. So Yahoo or The Athletic gets credit for "breaking" the story, but everyone still tunes into ESPN who then reports the same story.

Yep and it's still killing them because they still can't do a true ESPN Access subscription plan. I know I would do it if I got access to all the ESPN networks , or even better if I could choose which ones I want.

VN Store

Back