The All-Time All-America team for college football's 150th anniversary

You’re an idiot and typical Gator band wagoner. Manning had plenty of huge game performances

Bama x3
UGA x3
Clutch Auburn comeback in SEC title game
Ohio St
Washington St
UCLA
Dominating win vs Couch and UK
Northwestern
Arkansas
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech

hell as much as people give him hell about being 0-3 vs Florida he had two great games against them and lost because of defense especially in 95

That’s why people outside of Gainesville don’t respect or care about Tebow and Manning will always been seen as a bigger legend

Which two?

Manning had a lot of great games. Just like the other QB's you mentioned. But to pick out Manning's "game" I would say Bama in '95. Probably to your point that was in his Soph season. UCLA in 97 as was UK that season were great performances.

And I think you would have to admit, that if what you are going to argue is that the games that are "classic Peyton"..... Games that you sit your kids down so that they can see what Peyton Manning was and his greatness on full display.....

if those games are

1995 Alabama
1997 UCLA
1997 Kentucky

Then, that's pretty weak. At least compared to the other QB's (keep in mind we are talking about "all time" here) that you can think of that you can make an argument for.

Last edited:
95 and 96 manning threw all over Florida the defense collapsed. Especially in 95 when Manning destroyed Florida early on only to have defense completely collapse on him

I don't know what you watched, but Peyton personally lost the 1996 Florida game all by himself giving his team absolutely no chance to win. Peyton threw 4 interceptions in the first half.

I'll give you 95. 1996, he was terrible. The yards he eventually piled up that day were meaningless and I'd bet he'd tell you the same thing.

No one is questioning Peyton's overall greatness or greatness at the professional level in particular. The fact that he was drafted #1 overall is meaningless to this discussion.
They can't see past their orange tinted glasses

Dude's great. Just not the 2nd greatest QB in college history, IMO. His argument for being one of the top 2 QB's of all time at the NFL is a lot better than being the #2 QB all time at the college level.

I wouldn't have Roger Staubach #1 either.
This. I love Peyton. Much better pro than in college (not that he was bad, but like you said).

And I think you would have to admit, that if what you are going to argue are the games that are "classic Peyton"..... Games that you sit your kids down so that they can see what Peyton Manning was and his greatness on full display.....

if those games are

1995 Alabama
1997 UCLA
1997 Kentucky

Then, that's pretty weak. At least compared to the other QB's (keep in mind we are talking about "all time" here) that you can think of that you can make an argument for.

He was very good in most of his 3.5 years of starting. It boils down to did he beat his arch nemesis (UF)...No.

Peyton's biggest problems were:

1) not having a defense which could do their part to win games. This was true while he was at UT and Indy. Indy's best year on defense, was the year they won the SB.
2) allow defensive coaches to "get in his head". There were only 2 that could do this - one named Belichick. If Peyton played for the NE Patriots, he'd have 10 SB rings.

I don't know what you watched, but Peyton personally lost the 1996 Florida game all by himself giving his team absolutely no chance to win. Peyton threw 4 interceptions in the first half.

I'll give you 95. 1996, he was terrible. The yards he eventually piled up that day were meaningless and I'd bet he'd tell you the same thing.
Personally lost? Did he give up that 4th and 11 50 yard td? Did he fumble diving over the top for 1st down? Hell two of his interceptions hit the WR in the hand and they knocked it up. He threw for 492 yds and a few tds. In the swamp in 95 he shredded Florida for more points than anyone not named Nebraska scored on them in like 8 years

Tebow was in the perfect situation for himself to succeed. It was a system built for his strengths and Florida was at the peak of their powers when he took over.

Peyton brought Tennessee back to consistent greatness and he definitely would have been better off had he gone somewhere that passed more with a lot more shotgun and spread.

IDK who deserves the spot but I have to question a guy who can barely throw being there.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Tebow was in the perfect situation for himself to succeed. It was a system built for his strengths and Florida was at the peak of their powers when he took over.

Peyton brought Tennessee back to consistent greatness and he definitely would have been better off had he gone somewhere that passed more with a lot more shotgun and spread.

IDK who deserves the spot but I have to question a guy who can barely throw being there.
Other than Steve, who was doing that at the time? I honestly can't remember.

He was very good in most of his 3.5 years of starting. It boils down to did he beat his arch nemesis (UF)...No.

Memphis is also a big deal to me. You think of all the QB's that would be in the argument in this discussion.

How do you have the supposed GOAT at QB on your squad, and your squad is loaded, and you are going to go lose to Memphis?

But, it's more than that. I really could not recall a Peyton performance where I sat back and thought "wow". And some of that is probably on the coaches. The whole "the only guy who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points a game was Dean Smith" thing. Because everyone here would be lying if you would argue that Tennessee offenses of the 90's were the same as the Florida offenses at that time. What would Peyton have done playing for Spurrier? I don't know.

VN Store

Back