The All-Time All-America team for college football's 150th anniversary

Peyton Manning transcended the QB position with how he prepares and seemingly knew what the defense was going to do on every play. I remember Reggie Wayne in an interview saying they had gone 7 years of practices on Fridays without a dropped pass. They dubbed it “Perfect Friday” or something like that. Peyton was never going to let someone out-prepare him and it showed on the field. As for Reggie White, he was before his time and the majority agrees that he was the most feared defensive lineman in the game. He was virtually unstoppable.

Reactions: WiseOlVol
If it were me.....

1. I would take when they played into account...so Red Grange and Jim Thorpe aren’t going to be on my list.

2. It’s about only what you did in college. So, there are several guys on that list who were the best of the best when they became professionals, but not at the college level even though they had fine careers in college.

So, as an example, Suh of Nebraska has to make this team as he is the greatest college defensive player I ever saw and it’s not close. The fact that he didn’t do the same thing at the pro level doesn’t matter.

No Thorpe?? Just because the guy ran over everyone before targeting and clothesline became illegal? Who played both ways? Who won an Olympic decathlon and pentathlon wearing mismatched shoes? Who was also a professional bb? THAT Jim Thorpe??

No Thorpe?? Just because the guy ran over everyone before targeting and clothesline became illegal? Who played both ways? Who won an Olympic decathlon and pentathlon wearing mismatched shoes? Who was also a professional bb? THAT Jim Thorpe??
Lol. Jim Thorpe would be a high draft pick and perpetual pro bowler even in today’s game.

I’ll also take Barry Sanders and the “glove don’t fit” over Archie Griffin and Bo Jackson

Reactions: OriginalCoach
No. And it’s not even close.

They aren't comparable players. Peyton wouldn't have been able to achieve his college success in Meyer's offense nor would Tebow have been able to achieve his success in Cutcliffe's. I would take Tebow's numbers and hardware over Manning's though.

No. And it’s not even close.

At the collegiate level, I don’t know where you rank Tebow vs. Wuerffel, but I know where I rank Wuerffel vs. Manning.

Vince young, Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Charlie Ward, etc., all should be chosen ahead of Manning

Last edited:
They aren't comparable players. Peyton wouldn't have been able to achieve his college success in Meyer's offense nor would Tebow have been able to achieve his success in Cutcliffe's. I would take Tebow's numbers and hardware over Manning's though.

Tebow didn't change the way the position was played. Maisel gave extra credit for that.

At the collegiate level, I don’t know where you rank Tebow vs. Wuerffel, but I know where I rank Wuerffel vs. Manning.

Vince young, Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Charlie Ward, etc., all should be chosen ahead of Manning

Manning changed the way QB was played in college and in the NFL.
Smartest QB ever to play.
Was 3-1 v Alabama.

I hate these lists. What is the criteria? Are they taking in consideration the changing landscape of the game over decades and decades of time? Are they taking into consideration competition? Manning faced incredibly tough competition. I think all-decade teams are usually pretty fair, but all-time this list should just be a bunch of Notre Dame and Big 10 players.
?

Maisel: "To a man, right down to the special teams, these players transformed the game."

Peyton Manning beats out about 40 Heisman trophy winners and didn't win one himself, LOL.

It's easy to forget how impressive Peyton's numbers were for a guy in a pro-style offense in the mid-90's, and he won a lot of games.

Heisman Trophy is certifiably unreliable.

Compare Spurrier, Weurffel and Tebow to Elway, Marino and Manning.

But, the people who count disagree with your biased opinion.

Reactions: VolsSince78
Definitely old and biased.

C'mon, Dude. The guy called his own play for 17 seasons in the NFL. Brady and Brees don't.

5 NFL MVPs (Only 4 guys have 3, nobody but PM has more)
7 x All-Pro (Tied #1 w Otto Graham; next QB is Unitas @5; Brady has 3)

These are unbreakable records.

You seem to be recognizing Heisman recognition as talent.
The Heisman Trophy has become more a recognition of the PR program a school executes than the play on the field.
How many of those players were the best on their team for 3 or more years

Reactions: WiseOlVol
I'd take that 2nd team any day. Regarding time, there is no doubt that latter-day players are bigger, faster, stronger. But that doesn't make them greater. For example, we know for a fact that Carl Lewis ran faster than Jesse Owens, but he wasn't greater.

You seem to be recognizing Heisman recognition as talent.
The Heisman Trophy has become more a recognition of the PR program a school executes than the play on the field.
How many of those players were the best on their team for 3 or more years

I'm recognizing what they did on the field in college and what their teams accomplished. I'm also taking account what those players did for their teams and how they performed on the biggest stages against the best competition.

For all the talk about Manning, someone tell me what is the Peyton Manning performance that stands out. What game is the game that everyone remembers? Everyone mentions Manning to Kent as a play. What's Peyton's best game? What's the game that defined his career at Tennessee?

All those other dudes and several others have games, seasons, championships that defined them in college and defined their careers. Manning doesn't have that.

And the other guys I'm thinking of didn't lose to a 4-7 Memphis squad either.

He was great. He had an NFL career that was beyond outstanding. But, there were several people (that while in college) were better or accomplished a heck of a lot more.

And he was surrounded by a BOATLOAD of talent, so don't try floating that out there. They were so loaded, they won a national title the year after he left.

I'm recognizing what they did on the field in college and what their teams accomplished. I'm also taking account what those players did for their teams and how they performed on the biggest stages against the best competition.

For all the talk about Manning, someone tell me what is the Peyton Manning performance that stands out. What game is the game that everyone remembers? Everyone mentions Manning to Kent as a play. What's Peyton's best game? What's the game that defined his career at Tennessee?

All those other dudes and several others have games, seasons, championships that defined them in college and defined their careers. Manning doesn't have that.

And the other guys I'm thinking of didn't lose to a 4-7 Memphis squad either.

He was great. He had an NFL career that was beyond outstanding. But, there were several people (that while in college) were better or accomplished a heck of a lot more.

And he was surrounded by a BOATLOAD of talent, so don't try floating that out there. They were so loaded, they won a national title the year after he left.
You’re an idiot and typical Gator band wagoner. Manning had plenty of huge game performances

Bama x3
UGA x3
Clutch Auburn comeback in SEC title game
Ohio St
Washington St
UCLA
Dominating win vs Couch and UK
Northwestern
Arkansas
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech

hell as much as people give him hell about being 0-3 vs Florida he had two great games against them and lost because of defense especially in 95

That’s why people outside of Gainesville don’t respect or care about Tebow and Manning will always been seen as a bigger legend

Manning had a lot of great games. Just like the other QB's you mentioned. But to pick out Manning's "game" I would say Bama in '95. Probably to your point that was in his Soph season. UCLA in 97 as was UK that season were great performances.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back