The 4-8 and 5-7 seasons got Butch and Dooley fired!

I have a solution. We should take the Bama approach. Suck for a decade and save money while doing so. Then make a big splash hire at $20 million per season. We should be able to get any coach we want. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1967vol
Moving those goalposts are exactly what you are doing right now. From every team in the country to only the teams on our schedule lmaoooo

I was never talking about every team in the country.

That's pretty sad if beating a winless Vandy team will save his job. I mean if this is true and they are hedging things based on the outcome of this game, shouldn't that tell you what you already know? If you're at this point seems like they'd already realize he's not the guy; I don't know what beating the worst Vandy team since the Watson Brown era proves other than I guess we aren't the very worst team in the SEC.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! WTH does a win over a very bad Vandy team prove?

3-6 or 3-7 in a UT coach’s third season should get a coach fired. 2-6 with losses to KY AND VANDY and it should happen on Sunday. Let Chaney coach the final two games. He’s stepped in before.

That's pretty sad if beating a winless Vandy team will save his job. I mean if this is true and they are hedging things based on the outcome of this game, shouldn't that tell you what you already know? If you're at this point seems like they'd already realize he's not the guy; I don't know what beating the worst Vandy team since the Watson Brown era proves other than I guess we aren't the very worst team in the SEC.

Again, I had not seen my source since March of this year and he, like me, is a diehard VOLS fan in all the sports, and once again is a graduate, and ran track there, and it was the early to mid 70's when he was there, like 1971 - 1975, hence the fact he knew Condredge Holloway.. I only relayed what he told me and again it was not a definite that Pruitt would be fired if he lost to Vandy this week, it is only a strong possibility, nothing guaranteed or definite, although he did say: "Pruitt is coaching for his job".. He made that quote directly himself. I agree, these are truly historically awful times for Tennessee Football, especially when beating Vandy maintains your employment, if my source is accurate. Again, I have no reason to doubt him, and trust me he bleeds orange and wants UT to win in ALL SPORTS, not just football.. If Pruitt is the coach in 2021, and most likely he will be even if the Vols lose to Vandy this week, I believe 2021 will be Coach Pruitt's last season for sure, barring some miraculous turnaround in 2021, where we win 8-9 games or more, etc.. during the regular season...

Moving those goalposts are exactly what you are doing right now. From every team in the country to only the teams on our schedule lmaoooo

You lost this argument. Please let it go. It’s not a legit excuse for how badly this team plays.

You lost this argument. Please let it go. It’s not a legit excuse for how badly this team plays.

There is no argument. The fact is that this season has teams playing that have not had same effects and impact from Covid on their schedule. The fact this is supposedly controversial is amazing.

Even more amazing is the delusional people who think that FACT can’t be true and that Pruitt is still due his share of criticism.

There is no argument. The fact is that this season has teams playing that have not had same effects and impact from Covid on their schedule. The fact this is supposedly controversial is amazing.

Even more amazing is the delusional people who think that FACT can’t be true and that Pruitt is still due his share of criticism.

We're not talking about effect on the schedule, we're talking about the results on the field.

Vandy
GA State
Kentucky
Arkansas

“Should” have gotten Pruitt fired.......but man that guy just won’t die.

He’s like the gum on the bottom of your shoe.......it sucks, you hate it......but you just can’t seem to get it off........it has to “wear off.”

So freaking what? The only thing that matters is Tennessee football. Not Utah football. Not Hawaii or Alaska football. Or Manchester United for good measure.

TENNESSEE football.

You can whine and make excuses for the coach, but his performance is the only relevant measuring stick. And he isn’t putting an acceptable product on the field.

And...even when CV19 is no longer an excuse, he will still be the same incompetent coach. I’d have my ducks in a row and fire him on Sunday morning.

Only thing to mention. This is an all SEC season. No lower division opponents. 10 game schedule, if that. Another point. Seriously, everybody is better now. Money makes it that way. Back in the day, we barely beat most SEC opponents.

Last edited:
It was losing to Kentucky that did him in, he's even said it multiple times since. He was going to be fired regardless of the Vandy game after 2012. Losing to Kentucky cost Tennessee a bowl game, broke our only winning streak and lit the seat on fire for his final season.

I don't think so, I think Boston Vol is right. We went into the Vandy game in 2012 still with a shot a bowl game. I heard more than enough chatter that had we won the Vandy and UK games and made a bowl that Dooley would have been given a 4th year. The Vandy blowout was the final nail and blowing the Missouri game was the setup. I've heard he tried to resign after the UK loss in 2011 and Hart talked him out of it.

Remember even after the UK debacle we went into 2012 with pretty decent expectations and some had us as a darkhorse SEC East winner.

The money issues aren’t going away in the near future. If Pruitt goes 2-8 /3-7 this year and goes 5-7 maybe next year with blow out loses,he will have to be let go. I truly believe it’s not if but when for Pruitt.

Reactions: Ledzepvol
I think what that means is that they really, really don't want to fire him because of COVID financial constraints, but if he loses to a winless Vandy team that is terrible even by their own standards, then their hand could be forced.

The decision to keep or fire a coach is always driven by the relative costs of fan apathy vs. the buyout. A unique pandemic year doesn't change that. If the cost of fan apathy is cheaper than the buyout, then you keep the coach. If the cost of a buyout is cheaper than fan apathy, then you fire the coach. That simple concept still holds, no matter how many curveballs the pandemic threw at you.

A Vandy loss might make the financial cost of fan apathy greater than the cost of the buyout.

I don't think so, I think Boston Vol is right. We went into the Vandy game in 2012 still with a shot a bowl game. I heard more than enough chatter that had we won the Vandy and UK games and made a bowl that Dooley would have been given a 4th year. The Vandy blowout was the final nail and blowing the Missouri game was the setup. I've heard he tried to resign after the UK loss in 2011 and Hart talked him out of it.

Remember even after the UK debacle we went into 2012 with pretty decent expectations and some had us as a darkhorse SEC East winner.

That's possible. We are that stupid. I've always heard and he said it himself that the Kentucky loss killed him and made 2012 his must win season and he didn't win then either. Had he won Kentucky and made a bowl 2 years in a row, he felt like he would have survived year 3 regardless.

I don't want to defend Pruitt too much, but he's won more SEC games this year than either of them won in those two years, and still has 3 more games to go. Plus neither had to deal with covid halting both spring and fall camps essentially.

Pruitt needs to do better no doubt, but he's not those two.

I don't want to defend Pruitt too much, but he's won more SEC games this year than either of them won in those two years, and still has 3 more games to go. Plus neither had to deal with covid halting both spring and fall camps essentially.

Pruitt needs to do better no doubt, but he's not those two.

When you're having to compare the coach to the two biggest failures of the modern era of UT football, there's no good way to spin it.

In a season where we may finish with the worst record of any UT team ever , 90% of the fan base is whining. Why do you feel there is a need to call people out on it? Go ahead and reply to everyone who is whining on VN. Let them know you don’t appreciate it. See how long you last here.

This season will have an asterisk beside it for literally every team in the country that plays. It’s not a full season. I’d say that if we went 10-0 just like I would 0-10. There isn’t even certainty the season finishes as currently scheduled.

This season will have an asterisk beside it for literally every team in the country that plays. It’s not a full season. I’d say that if we went 10-0 just like I would 0-10. There isn’t even certainty the season finishes as currently scheduled.
Doesn’t explain why you are calling people out for being disappointed. This season is important for the timing of or if we ever become relevant again.

Ok, I am hesitant to post this because people get hammered around here, but I'm simply relaying information that was voluntarily supplied to me. I live and work in the Chattanooga area, and I was working out today at the Sports Barn during my lunch hour. I am in the office this week in downtown Chattanooga, and I bring that up since I normally work from home due to Covid-19, but was asked to come in this week by the organization I am currently employed with at this time. Anyway, my source has the following credentials: Graduate of UT and ran track for UT in the early 1970's, knows Condredge Holloway, etc.. He is now retired and he and his family owned Lincoln/Ford dealerships in the Chattanooga area. I believe my source went to Baylor, his source that he got his information from is from my hometown of Cleveland, TN, and this gentleman played football at Tennessee in the late 60's/early 70's... The information I received and nothing is guaranteed, was that there is a possibility and only a possibility that major program donors could possibly consider assisting in a buyout of Coach Pruitt, if we lose to Vanderbilt this week, and my source said, and I quote directly: "Pruitt is coaching for his job this week"... I trust what my source tells me, and again had not seen him for quite a while, as I have not been in the office in downtown Chattanooga since March 2020. Not saying that anything will happen, but my own personal timeline for Coach Pruitt has been shortened, as far as his tenure here goes.. I had thought he could possibly make it through to the end of the 2022 season, but after talking with my source and how much aggravation there is right now with some of the older money donors, I think Pruitt will definitely have to find a way to win 9 games next year, assuming a 12 game season is what UT plays in 2021. Again though, my source said it is very possible that a defeat to Vanderbilt this weekend, would place Coach Pruitt's job security in serious jeopardy at the close of the 2020 season, as UT would finish 2-8, since we are 99% guaranteed to lose to both Florida and Texas A&M. Again, just relaying information from someone I know and trust when it comes to Tennessee Athletics and topics in general.

FYI, Nobody has contacted me to discuss potential path forward.

Ok, I am hesitant to post this because people get hammered around here, but I'm simply relaying information that was voluntarily supplied to me. I live and work in the Chattanooga area, and I was working out today at the Sports Barn during my lunch hour. I am in the office this week in downtown Chattanooga, and I bring that up since I normally work from home due to Covid-19, but was asked to come in this week by the organization I am currently employed with at this time. Anyway, my source has the following credentials: Graduate of UT and ran track for UT in the early 1970's, knows Condredge Holloway, etc.. He is now retired and he and his family owned Lincoln/Ford dealerships in the Chattanooga area. I believe my source went to Baylor, his source that he got his information from is from my hometown of Cleveland, TN, and this gentleman played football at Tennessee in the late 60's/early 70's... The information I received and nothing is guaranteed, was that there is a possibility and only a possibility that major program donors could possibly consider assisting in a buyout of Coach Pruitt, if we lose to Vanderbilt this week, and my source said, and I quote directly: "Pruitt is coaching for his job this week"... I trust what my source tells me, and again had not seen him for quite a while, as I have not been in the office in downtown Chattanooga since March 2020. Not saying that anything will happen, but my own personal timeline for Coach Pruitt has been shortened, as far as his tenure here goes.. I had thought he could possibly make it through to the end of the 2022 season, but after talking with my source and how much aggravation there is right now with some of the older money donors, I think Pruitt will definitely have to find a way to win 9 games next year, assuming a 12 game season is what UT plays in 2021. Again though, my source said it is very possible that a defeat to Vanderbilt this weekend, would place Coach Pruitt's job security in serious jeopardy at the close of the 2020 season, as UT would finish 2-8, since we are 99% guaranteed to lose to both Florida and Texas A&M. Again, just relaying information from someone I know and trust when it comes to Tennessee Athletics and topics in general.
God I live for this ****

VN Store

Back