The 4-8 and 5-7 seasons got Butch and Dooley fired!

KKruzVFL

The football program must be really broke if they are not even going to entertain firing this guy. We are in bad shape and it will take years to recover.

Ok, I am hesitant to post this because people get hammered around here, but I'm simply relaying information that was voluntarily supplied to me. I live and work in the Chattanooga area, and I was working out today at the Sports Barn during my lunch hour. I am in the office this week in downtown Chattanooga, and I bring that up since I normally work from home due to Covid-19, but was asked to come in this week by the organization I am currently employed with at this time. Anyway, my source has the following credentials: Graduate of UT and ran track for UT in the early 1970's, knows Condredge Holloway, etc.. He is now retired and he and his family owned Lincoln/Ford dealerships in the Chattanooga area. I believe my source went to Baylor, his source that he got his information from is from my hometown of Cleveland, TN, and this gentleman played football at Tennessee in the late 60's/early 70's... The information I received and nothing is guaranteed, was that there is a possibility and only a possibility that major program donors could possibly consider assisting in a buyout of Coach Pruitt, if we lose to Vanderbilt this week, and my source said, and I quote directly: "Pruitt is coaching for his job this week"... I trust what my source tells me, and again had not seen him for quite a while, as I have not been in the office in downtown Chattanooga since March 2020. Not saying that anything will happen, but my own personal timeline for Coach Pruitt has been shortened, as far as his tenure here goes.. I had thought he could possibly make it through to the end of the 2022 season, but after talking with my source and how much aggravation there is right now with some of the older money donors, I think Pruitt will definitely have to find a way to win 9 games next year, assuming a 12 game season is what UT plays in 2021. Again though, my source said it is very possible that a defeat to Vanderbilt this weekend, would place Coach Pruitt's job security in serious jeopardy at the close of the 2020 season, as UT would finish 2-8, since we are 99% guaranteed to lose to both Florida and Texas A&M. Again, just relaying information from someone I know and trust when it comes to Tennessee Athletics and topics in general.

The football program must be really broke if they are not even going to entertain firing this guy. We are in bad shape and it will take years to recover.

We will play 9 games this season most likely. Butch would have gone 0-8 if he had only SEC games to play.

The looming factor over Pruitt's head is that the school would have to finance a 25 million dollar fire and hire for the football coaching staff on top of a 50 million budget shortfall.

People are "tired of hearing Covid being used", but they are delusional if they think that Pruitt isn't gonna get some leeway here given Covid kept the team from having a normal schedule this year for offseason and fall preseason.

What's worse, Pruitt having this kind of season during a worldwide pandemic that has effected every team in different ways (not every school and team have had equal impacts from Covid) or Pruitt laying a goose egg in a normal 12 game season?

Covid is an excuse to keep Pruitt... It's also an excuse to fire him. Unless a miracle happens, he's gone at the end of next year. The price for firing him will still be high next year... so will the price for hiring a proven coach. If we hired at the end of this season, when few other teams are looking to hire, we will find a proven winner with less competition; that equates to spending less money.

We also need to look at recruiting. Pruitt is on a VERY hot seat. It will for sure scare off recruits at the end of this year and next year if we keep Pruitt. That is going to hurt us even more. Bringing in a proven winner remedies this and sparks new blood. It will take a miracle for Pruitt to turn this ship around and he has all but proven he isn't the guy. The longer we wait, the worse it gets for us.

This team, this university, the fans, and the city of Knoxville NEED new life from this football team.

Or the ego of the AD who doesn’t want to admit that his first hire blew up in his face.
On the surface JP looks like a good hire. A keen football mind, and "defensive" guru. Who knew the guy is as stubborn as a mule? With all the evidence staring JP in the face, he refuses to admit that he is wrong.

Reactions: jarnol32
Covid is an excuse to keep Pruitt... It's also an excuse to fire him. Unless a miracle happens, he's gone at the end of next year. The price for firing him will still be high next year... so will the price for hiring a proven coach. If we hired at the end of this season, when few other teams are looking to hire, we will find a proven winner with less competition; that equates to spending less money.

We also need to look at recruiting. Pruitt is on a VERY hot seat. It will for sure scare off recruits at the end of this year and next year if we keep Pruitt. That is going to hurt us even more. Bringing in a proven winner remedies this and sparks new blood. It will take a miracle for Pruitt to turn this ship around and he has all but proven he isn't the guy. The longer we wait, the worse it gets for us.

This team, this university, the fans, and the city of Knoxville NEED new life from this football team.

If we win 8 or more games next year with a new QB, Pruitt will stick around. His saving grace is the Covid impact on the finances of the AD, the uncertainty of the football season being completed...... If he was producing these results in a normal 12 game season with no pandemic, he would be gone most likely. By Covid not giving him a full and normal offseason schedule, he will get by.

If the AD is asking Boosters to finance a 25 million dollar deal to fire Pruitt and hire his replacement, why would they do it but not finance the current shortfall in the AD.

If we win 8 or more games next year with a new QB, Pruitt will stick around. His saving grace is the Covid impact on the finances of the AD, the uncertainty of the football season being completed...... If he was producing these results in a normal 12 game season with no pandemic, he would be gone most likely. By Covid not giving him a full and normal offseason schedule, he will get by.

If the AD is asking Boosters to finance a 25 million dollar deal to fire Pruitt and hire his replacement, why would they do it but not finance the current shortfall in the AD.

The perfect storm isn't happening twice for Pruitt. He won't win 8 games again.

Ok, I am hesitant to post this because people get hammered around here, but I'm simply relaying information that was voluntarily supplied to me. I live and work in the Chattanooga area, and I was working out today at the Sports Barn during my lunch hour. I am in the office this week in downtown Chattanooga, and I bring that up since I normally work from home due to Covid-19, but was asked to come in this week by the organization I am currently employed with at this time. Anyway, my source has the following credentials: Graduate of UT and ran track for UT in the early 1970's, knows Condredge Holloway, etc.. He is now retired and he and his family owned Lincoln/Ford dealerships in the Chattanooga area. I believe my source went to Baylor, his source that he got his information from is from my hometown of Cleveland, TN, and this gentleman played football at Tennessee in the late 60's/early 70's... The information I received and nothing is guaranteed, was that there is a possibility and only a possibility that major program donors could possibly consider assisting in a buyout of Coach Pruitt, if we lose to Vanderbilt this week, and my source said, and I quote directly: "Pruitt is coaching for his job this week"... I trust what my source tells me, and again had not seen him for quite a while, as I have not been in the office in downtown Chattanooga since March 2020. Not saying that anything will happen, but my own personal timeline for Coach Pruitt has been shortened, as far as his tenure here goes.. I had thought he could possibly make it through to the end of the 2022 season, but after talking with my source and how much aggravation there is right now with some of the older money donors, I think Pruitt will definitely have to find a way to win 9 games next year, assuming a 12 game season is what UT plays in 2021. Again though, my source said it is very possible that a defeat to Vanderbilt this weekend, would place Coach Pruitt's job security in serious jeopardy at the close of the 2020 season, as UT would finish 2-8, since we are 99% guaranteed to lose to both Florida and Texas A&M. Again, just relaying information from someone I know and trust when it comes to Tennessee Athletics and topics in general.
Bless your heart. I appreciate the information, and will take it as intended.

Others will not be so kind. Proceed with caution.

because the last coaching search process went sooooo well.
4-7 & 5-6 with non-conference opponents aren't apples and oranges.

Butch was 0-8 in his last SEC season. The SEC record is essentially the only thing comparable.

Reactions: rdk4121 and Sarms58

That's pretty sad if beating a winless Vandy team will save his job. I mean if this is true and they are hedging things based on the outcome of this game, shouldn't that tell you what you already know? If you're at this point seems like they'd already realize he's not the guy; I don't know what beating the worst Vandy team since the Watson Brown era proves other than I guess we aren't the very worst team in the SEC.

That's pretty sad if beating a winless Vandy team will save his job. I mean if this is true and they are hedging things based on the outcome of this game, shouldn't that tell you what you already know? If you're at this point seems like they'd already realize he's not the guy; I don't know what beating the worst Vandy team since the Watson Brown era proves other than I guess we aren't the very worst team in the SEC.
If it needs to be done Saturday, it should have been done long ago.

VN Store

Back