The 2021 NFL Season Thread

If they were hellbent on getting into field goal range, why didn’t why throw the ball? They were playing to win, they just weren’t going to do anything stupid that might jeopardize their season.

Thank you! It’s this easy.

If anything it was a personnel adjustment, but what happened as a result (and what people are criticizing) is that doing so gives the other side the idea - in what’s essentially almost a prisoner’s dilemma - start to wonder “ok, if they’re willing to start taking a timeout now, does that mean they’re actually considering trying to stop the clock and get the ball back one last time to score?”.

And that in turn also makes any consideration said side had for going for the tie moot…because they also can’t trust the other team.
☝️This exactly, they broke the trust.

And they still ran the ball. If they got negative yardage they don’t kick the FG

There was 4 seconds on the play clock. They changed offensive personnel and got in a better set. Granted LAC could’ve stopped them, but what did they get with a TO.

There was 4 seconds on the play clock. They changed offensive personnel and got in a better set. Granted LAC could’ve stopped them, but what did they get with a TO.

Right. It changed personnel, but it didn’t change what Vegas was going to do. They were running that all the way. And if Staley was trying to play for the win, he would have called a TO at 1:14 instead of :38…he was just looking at the formation and make sure they weren’t gonna try something deep.

Yes I’m serous. Please explain to me how the timeout impacted the game? The Raiders weren’t letting the clock run out. Good grief.

If Staley was playing for the win or being aggressive, he calls a TO at 1:14, not at :38 and :4 left on the play clock

Reactions: NashVol11
But what’s to say they wouldn’t have picked up the first down with the original personnel that they had on the field? Jacobs ran for close to 150 yards.

It changed the mindset so much that they decided to run the ball on 3rd and 4?

People are taking that Carr quote wrong IMO. Im pretty sure he meant they had a pass play lined up and changed to a run. Because it was obvious LAC was content with a tie so Vegas went conservative.

See? He means they decided to run the ball instead of pass. Not “we were fine with a tie and then decided to go for the win.”

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
But what’s to say they wouldn’t have picked up the first down with the original personnel that they had on the field? Jacobs ran for close to 150 yards.

Nothing but it looked to be a hurried snap call. TO likely gave them time to get in a better run play.

I’m just going off what their players said after the game. SD gained nothing from the TO that late in the clock.

Nothing but it looked to be a hurried snap call. TO likely gave them time to get in a better run play.

I’m just going off what their players said after the game. SD gained nothing from the TO that late in the clock.

I mean the Chargers didn’t gain anything because it didn’t work in their favor, but the argument by some is Vegas was fine playing with a tie and then when LAC called a TO they decided to play for the win. That wasn’t what happened. I’d actually argue they went more conserative knowing LAC wasn’t playing for the win because Staley called a TO at :38 and not 1:14. They went from 11 shotgun personnel to 2 TE under center and ran the ball.

VN Store

Back