The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

Any updates on when Marta might be able to join the team. Holding out hope for a season. Even if modified in some way.

The US embassy in Madrid just started processing (on a limited basis) student visas this week, so it may be a couple more weeks before she’s able to get an appointment.

I’ve been keeping an eye on travel restrictions from the Schengen zone and the UK and I think that this week’s changes will allow the students from those countries to come to the US after they have secured their visa.

But the wheels have definitely started to move again.

The US embassy in Madrid just started processing (on a limited basis) student visas this week, so it may be a couple more weeks before she’s able to get an appointment.

I’ve been keeping an eye on travel restrictions from the Schengen zone and the UK and I think that this week’s changes will allow the students from those countries to come to the US after they have secured their visa.

But the wheels have definitely started to move again.

Thanks! Great news, glad things should be on track!

Starting to look like the roster is set for 2020 team. If were adding any other player would think it would be in the next four or five weeks before the start of the second summer semester. Players will be working out and doing what they do during the summer as much as possible. I suspect if we don't see an addition before July 6th our roster for 2020 is final.

PG- Jordan Horston, probably backup Destiny Salary
2G-Rae Burrell backups Tess Darby, Jesse Renne
C-Tamari Key, Kushkituah Kasiyahna, Emily Saunders
PF-Keyen Green, Jaiden McCoy
WF-Rennia Davis, Marta Suarez

This is basically same team as last year except we lost Massengil and Harris. I don't count Green as a loss from last year's team because she didn't play.

Horston and Key need to show a lot of improvement we need both players to far exceed their contributions of last season. Same for Burrell she needs to step up to another level like she was beginning to reach late in the season last year. I see her working out, shooting shots on the videos they show of her. Burrell is a key player for us if were going to be a better team than last season. Also hoping that Green can give us far more at the four than we got last season. We got like 9 ppg from that position and very poor shooting percentage and free throw percentage. Hoping she can be as excellent a player for us as she was for Liberty. Rennia Davis so glad to see her back she should have more help than she had last year. You expect the sophomores to step up big and you hope that Burrell will play well enough to make it impossible to box and one Davis.

The Backups

Destiny Salary- Video I've seen of her she is an excellent shooter and ball handler. She knows how to get to the basket and score. I think she will be a lot better scorer than Massengill and just as good a handle hopefully won't make a lot of poor mistakes and can find the open players. Massengill was a superior assist to turnover player hopefully Salary can keep her turnovers down. Salary will have to learn and play with a higher motor. The game I saw her play she did a lot of jogging down court and way to much standing in the half court. She will have to get the energy up and not take plays off. I think she will find out quickly this is a lot different than high school. I think we'll be asking a lot of her as a freshman looks like our backup point guard.
Tess Darby- I saw her play four games last season one was when they played Salary's team. She hit fives threes versus Salary's team and a couple were close to thirty feet. She is a very active player in the games i saw her play very active on defense and really moved well without the ball. She also had a better handle than I expected. I doubt she does much driving to the basket but she can stop and pop the ten to 12 footer quite accurately. She is almost automatic at the free throw line.
Marta Suarez- Don't know much about her seems to be a fairly accurate three point shooter 35 percent and the small amount of video I have seen very excellent ball handler as well. I figure she will backup Davis which won't put to much pressure on her as expect Davis to go over 30 minutes a game as a senior.
Jesse Renne- I hope she has improved her on court dribbling and defense. She can shoot when she gets open, but is small 5'8" which means team has to get her an open look. I thought her defense was getting a lot better late in the season.
Jaiden McCoy- I like her energy on the court can give you some solid minutes if you have a key player in foul trouble. I hope she has worked on her free throw shooting she is the type player that get fouled a lot needs to be able to make the free throw shots.
Emily Saunders- You wonder what is going to happen with her. I am expecting her to play around five to 8 minutes in almost every game. My hope is that she has really improved her speed and strength and can help us next season.

Games I know we'll have on the schedule are Kentucky at home, SC at home, Stanford at home. Notre Dame at home, UConn at home, Texas on the road is one I think we'll still play. We'll probably still have a home and home with Vandy. Road games I think we'll have to play at Texas A&M, Miss St, Alabama, and Georgia. Schedule will be a lot tougher than last season won't see any 300 rpi teams.

The subs will be young and inexperienced at this level. Expectation is that the starting five will be one of the top groups in the SEC key of course is the improvement of the sophomores and Burrell. Biggest problem will be if the freshmen can give quality minutes at this level of play. There will be a learning curve for them as it is for all freshmen we need to them to give us quality minutes without mistakes. I feel they are all very good offensive players may struggle on defense as I doubt if any of the three have ever guarded the quality players that are on every team in the SEC. This team has to see the five starting players vastly improved and the subs be able to hold their own when a starter is on the bench.

I don't have much of an idea how we'll match up in the SEC race will know a lot more when we play a few games during the season. I hope we can get this virus behind us really looking forward to the basketball season.

2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics
felt like this needs to updated now since we have Walker now and we have seen some practice videos on the players......

The emphasis on reducing turnovers was dead on.

I don’t think I saw post-depth mentioned at all, though. Last year, TK took on a starting role as a freshman and had to adjust to the physicality of the SEC. Each game, she could be counted on to be a shot-blocking presence. Outside of that, though, I don’t recall our post play being that great in terms of mobility and offensive production. I remember there being SIGNIFICANT drop off in post play when our then starting freshman, TK, left the game. The addition of Keyen Green, and the improvement of Kasi and TK will do wonders.

I don’t think I saw post-depth mentioned at all, though. Last year, TK took on a starting role as a freshman and had to adjust to the physicality of the SEC. Each game, she could be counted on to be a shot-blocking presence. Outside of that, though, I don’t recall our post play being that great in terms of mobility and offensive production. I remember there being SIGNIFICANT drop off in post play when our then starting freshman, TK, left the game. The addition of Keyen Green, and the improvement of Kasi and TK will do wonders.

TK's shot blocking got the "press" but she had a pretty good all-around game for an incoming freshman post in my opinion

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
A reduction in turnovers is one of the most important improvements. Just cutting them in half while keeping an aggressive (but in control) offensive mentality will likely mean many of those last year losses will become wins this year.

Foul shooting has to improve. There should be no reason that the team can't shoot 85% or better from the foul line. It is mental so practice should help them improve.

The five footer should be automatic. We missed so many shots (layups and put backs) in-close last year. It seems like we have been missing them for a decade or so. Better focus and control is needed as we definitely have the size to compete inside with anyone. Opposing coaches have learned to exploit our issues inside offensively so we have to stop helping them. We were way too predictable before Kellie came in. Hopefully, with a better offense, we can get away from one or two dimensional play and use team talent more effectively.

Better outside shooting is needed. Motion should help free our shooters to bomb away. A strong outside shooting game will free up our posts.

Posts need to be able to hit the 15 footer. We got away from forcing the ball inside where triple teams awaited which was a welcome change. The high post has been open for years but we either elected to pass it back out or force it inside. Take and hit that shot. It will open up other offensive possibilities.

Lastly, the highlight reel is not as important to winning as is good team play. Forcing things is not necessary. Play as a team and find the open player in the right position to score.

TK's shot blocking got the "press" but she had a pretty good all-around game for an incoming freshman post in my opinion

She definitely did. I didn’t intend for my post to suggest otherwise. What I attempted to convey is that outside of our then freshman center (TK), who has a more finesse game, we didn’t get solid contributions from anyone else, IMO. With Keyen and improvements from Kasi, things should be different.

I think the writer is correct that the fortunes of the backcourt will be driven by improvement by Rae and Horston. We know what Davis brings to the table, and need the other two to come up to her level.

I honestly don't know what to make of the rest of the backcourt. I'd be shocked if those three players I named above aren't averaging 30+ min/game. I can see Jessie chipping in for 10-15 min/g. Maybe same for Walker if she adjusts to P5 play quickly. Salary probably with developmental minutes, and I don't see a situation where Darby plays a significant role as a freshman. Marta is somewhere in between...no prediction as to what her role is. She could end up buried in the backcourt depth chart and end up being a change of pace PF backup.

I think the writer is correct that the fortunes of the backcourt will be driven by improvement by Rae and Horston. We know what Davis brings to the table, and need the other two to come up to her level.

I honestly don't know what to make of the rest of the backcourt. I'd be shocked if those three players I named above aren't averaging 30+ min/game. I can see Jessie chipping in for 10-15 min/g. Maybe same for Walker if she adjusts to P5 play quickly. Salary probably with developmental minutes, and I don't see a situation where Darby plays a significant role as a freshman. Marta is somewhere in between...no prediction as to what her role is. She could end up buried in the backcourt depth chart and end up being a change of pace PF backup.

Good post and i do agree with you on the big three. Also i think the schedule will tell how much playing time players will get. Note i think Key will play a lot of mins because of her defense in rebounding and improvement on the offensive end.

A reduction in turnovers is one of the most important improvements. Just cutting them in half while keeping an aggressive (but in control) offensive mentality will likely mean many of those last year losses will become wins this year.

Foul shooting has to improve. There should be no reason that the team can't shoot 85% or better from the foul line. It is mental so practice should help them improve.

The five footer should be automatic. We missed so many shots (layups and put backs) in-close last year. It seems like we have been missing them for a decade or so. Better focus and control is needed as we definitely have the size to compete inside with anyone. Opposing coaches have learned to exploit our issues inside offensively so we have to stop helping them. We were way too predictable before Kellie came in. Hopefully, with a better offense, we can get away from one or two dimensional play and use team talent more effectively.

Better outside shooting is needed. Motion should help free our shooters to bomb away. A strong outside shooting game will free up our posts.

Posts need to be able to hit the 15 footer. We got away from forcing the ball inside where triple teams awaited which was a welcome change. The high post has been open for years but we either elected to pass it back out or force it inside. Take and hit that shot. It will open up other offensive possibilities.

Lastly, the highlight reel is not as important to winning as is good team play. Forcing things is not necessary. Play as a team and find the open player in the right position to score.
85% or more free throw percentage is not realistic.
There was only one NCAA division 1 women's team that shot over 80% last year. That was William & Mary at 81.5%
NCAA College Women's Basketball DI current team Stats | NCAA.com

Hopefully a more experienced team than last season will shoot the three better and make their free throws. Imperative that players like Key and Horston have taken big leaps from their freshmen seasons and players like Burrell, KK and Davis have reached another level in their play. We don't know what we'll get from Green and Walker both look promising and certainly give us a pair of players that have some experience even if at another level. I think Salary, Darby, and Renne give us three players that can help increase that three point percentage and Suarez may be the surprise of the year. She seems to be far advanced from a regular freshman and think she may be the freshman that gets the most playing time.
Overall I like that it seems that we have added some shooters to the team and were finally getting to the point where we have some upperclassmen in Davis, KK and Burrell that should be able to lead this team to a much better season than last year. This could double down if players like Green and Walker adjust to this level and can play anywhere near how they played last season at their other schools.

lol there was a part 2
Tennessee Lady Vols 2020-2021 preview by position: Frontcourt

Hopefully a more experienced team than last season will shoot the three better and make their free throws. Imperative that players like Key and Horston have taken big leaps from their freshmen seasons and players like Burrell, KK and Davis have reached another level in their play. We don't know what we'll get from Green and Walker both look promising and certainly give us a pair of players that have some experience even if at another level. I think Salary, Darby, and Renne give us three players that can help increase that three point percentage and Suarez may be the surprise of the year. She seems to be far advanced from a regular freshman and think she may be the freshman that gets the most playing time.
Overall I like that it seems that we have added some shooters to the team and were finally getting to the point where we have some upperclassmen in Davis, KK and Burrell that should be able to lead this team to a much better season than last year. This could double down if players like Green and Walker adjust to this level and can play anywhere near how they played last season at their other schools.
Hope the Lady Vols can finish in the top 4 in the sec. got to recruit top players. We no longer have the status we once held in woman’s basketball (thanks to Holly), we got to get it back. Can we do it?

Interesting how much emphasis they are putting on Lou Brown graduating. The high post was a weakness last year with Brown and it will be a weakness again this year unless Green can produce at the P5 level or McCoy got ALOT better. The post players can play rock-solid defense, but they were poor offensive players with limited moves. Unless that changes, I don't see Tennessee challenging the top 4 in the SEC.

Interesting how much emphasis they are putting on Lou Brown graduating. The high post was a weakness last year with Brown and it will be a weakness again this year unless Green can produce at the P5 level or McCoy got ALOT better. The post players can play rock-solid defense, but they were poor offensive players with limited moves. Unless that changes, I don't see Tennessee challenging the top 4 in the SEC.
and Marta being better then expected

and Marta being better then expected
The reason I don't have high expectations for Marta was reading an article where she talked about the adjustment from European basketball and American basketball...where here it is more 1-on-1 and physical compared to Europe that runs a lot more screening action, pick and rolls, etc. Tennessee doesn't have a great offensive playbook and relies too much on 1-on-5 hero ball, and the SEC is physical as hell. She'll probably take a season to get used to it.

My first thoughts were that he doesn’t follow Lady Vol Basketball very closely. He didn’t seem to know Zaay didn’t necessarily transfer by choice. The article also didn’t mention Suarez at all. Based on her film it looks like she could play 2-4 if she gets a bit faster. I maintain that she’ll play a larger role than anticipated. Could be wrong, but I really like how her game looks in the clips I’ve seen. She doesn’t get sped up and we’ve been dying for some of that for a long time! A very European trait (IMO). Flow of the game is just different.

I do agree on many points though! The turnovers, free throws and three point shooting have to be better this season. If we were even a little better in those areas last year we would have won 4 maybe 5 more games. We lost five games by 10 points or less.

Based on the deficiencies he correctly pointed out I would say the coaching staff has done a great job to target players that fill those gaps.

My gut says we’ll see a lot of Walker/Horston at the 1/2 with Salary and Rennie coming in to spell them. Likely for end of quarter or some situational offense to spread the D.

I have a feeling Burrell goes back to being 6th woman. That isn’t meant to be an insult either. I feel it’s an incredibly important role on every team. You must have that fire that Rae plays with to fill it appropriately! A great goal for her would be SEC 6th woman of the year.

I see Suarez picking up some minutes giving Rennia a rest when we can afford to take her off of the floor. They seem to have some similarities in the way that they can play at all three levels.

For the rest of the starting line-up (yes I know we’re in the frontcourt now) I suspect we go big. Tamari with Kasi or Keyen likely round out the starting 5. I think Keyen might get the nod. There was talk in one of the videos about how she’s become a leader for this team. Kasi looks to be much more fit. If she’s improved her finishing ability and hands around the basket she could be in for a breakout season. TBH our guards did incur some turnovers because our bigs simply weren’t ready, or didn’t catch the pass.

VN Store

Back