The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

our down low players in the gym hope to see more production from these ladies!!!

1593036395514.jpeg

By the amount of perspiration on Saunders, she appears to be also working on her cardio, along with her weight training...Also, Horston is perspiring heavily too...

Nice picture.....Thanks.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
PG- Jordan Horston, probably backup Destiny Salary
2G-Rae Burrell backups Tess Darby, Jesse Renne
C-Tamari Key, Kushkituah Kasiyahna, Emily Saunders
PF-Keyen Green, Jaiden McCoy
WF-Rennia Davis, Marta Suarez

I do not like that starting line up, at all. Move Burrell to PF and the better defender out of Renne and Darby get the most minutes at SG. Salary should get minutes at SG too.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I do not like that starting line up, at all. Move Burrell to PF and the better defender out of Renne and Darby get the most minutes at SG. Salary should get minutes at SG too.

Burrell could play PF, but then SG would be a weak spot on the floor...and it's too important a position. I don't know how quickly Green will adjust to the big leagues, but I agree it will be her or McCoy at the PF spot. As long as they can defend, rebound, maybe some putbacks...that should be enough for the position. Burrell could exploit a lot of mismatches playing at SG, and she needs to be a scorer this season.

Burrell could play PF, but then SG would be a weak spot on the floor...and it's too important a position. I don't know how quickly Green will adjust to the big leagues, but I agree it will be her or McCoy at the PF spot. As long as they can defend, rebound, maybe some putbacks...that should be enough for the position. Burrell could exploit a lot of mismatches playing at SG, and she needs to be a scorer this season.

No offense in that starting line up. That would be bad offense the likes we've yet to see. Except for Davis it's all poor shooters or TO machines. And you're going to leave a couple Angie Bjorklund clones on the bench?

Burrell improved her shooting last season and expect that to take another jump this season. Her improvement and ball handling skills also got better and the way she has been working certainly expect her to be better in every aspect of her game. I think she gets a starting spot on the floor she is a junior and two guard would be the position most open to her. Her 41 percent and 33 from the three were huge improvements over her freshman year and looking for her to be a key factor for us if we get to play this coming season. Her work ethic has been amazing we'll see if it relates to a player reaching star status if we have a season.

No offense in that starting line up. That would be bad offense the likes we've yet to see. Except for Davis it's all poor shooters or TO machines. And you're going to leave a couple Angie Bjorklund clones on the bench?

No disrespect intended to Tess or Jessie, but they are not Bjorklund clones. Angie was the #2 rated player in her class and a much, much stronger player on both sides of the ball. From what Jessie showed last season, she has a ways to go before she is a proven SEC-level guard. Other than a couple of games vs. Mississippi, she wasn't able to handle the pace of the game. Excellent shooter, but it does her no good if she can't find a way to get her shot off. It's still to be determined how much Tess will contribute as a freshman, given that she wasn't a highly rated recruit. Neither of those options, IMO, is better than Burrell who has 2 years under her belt of SEC experience and has one particular skill that Jessie doesn't have (and Tess probably won't have until she gets more experience)...and that is the ability to create her own shot off the dribble. Tennessee would be a better team with her at SG instead of wasting her at PF when Green or McCoy would be able to do enough at that spot without hurting the team.

Burrell creating her own shot is exactly what I'm afraid of. Very low efficiency on those attempts. Lots of TOs, low percentage shots.
The SG has to be a sharpshooter. It's right there in the name.

With Burrell at SG opponents will go zone on us and pack it in. She is one of our least efficient offensive players. There will be no opportunities for anyone. TOs will be even higher than last year, and we will see even more bad shots taken as the clock runs out. Where Burrell shines are the hustle plays, I want her setting screens, finding open space between the elbow and the block. and crashing the boards relentlessly. If you keep her outside the arc, you take away her best attributes.

Rennie shot 46% from behind the arc! Better than Burrell did from the field. She shot that well after a very slow start and coming in cold off the bench. Imagine if she were able to get in the flow of the game. Even if she doesn't take a single shot, she will stretch the defense and create more opportunities for others. Horston and Davis will have more room to create. Burrell and Key will have more room to post, make their moves, and rebound. The ONLY question on Rennie is can she defend. I only have the same question about Darby because shooting translates to every level of the game. If they can defend at an SEC level, they play.

This probably won't be the lineup, but I would build this team like Phil built the Bulls.

Davis = MJ
Horston= Pippen
Rennie = Kerr
Burrell = Rodman
Key = Longley

We don't really have a Kukoc unless it's Suarez. I don't know much about her.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
She had one bad stat (turnovers) and most of these posters define her by it....can't win that argument Mem...sigh

View attachment 285678

They don't see the 24 upright T's, they see the one upside down T
As a former point guard that played until my mid forties, (rec league), playing with players that don't know you can lead to turnovers. I never had to look directly in the direction that I was going to make the pass. My peripheral vision allowed for this. Once players play together for a while, they tend to expect the ball from said player from different angles, cutting down on turnovers. JMO Go Lady Vols!

No disrespect intended to Tess or Jessie, but they are not Bjorklund clones. Angie was the #2 rated player in her class and a much, much stronger player on both sides of the ball. From what Jessie showed last season, she has a ways to go before she is a proven SEC-level guard. Other than a couple of games vs. Mississippi, she wasn't able to handle the pace of the game. Excellent shooter, but it does her no good if she can't find a way to get her shot off. It's still to be determined how much Tess will contribute as a freshman, given that she wasn't a highly rated recruit. Neither of those options, IMO, is better than Burrell who has 2 years under her belt of SEC experience and has one particular skill that Jessie doesn't have (and Tess probably won't have until she gets more experience)...and that is the ability to create her own shot off the dribble. Tennessee would be a better team with her at SG instead of wasting her at PF when Green or McCoy would be able to do enough at that spot without hurting the team.

I agree with your post 100% and as i have said many times. If the players you bring in can`t create there own shot it`s gonna be a problem trying to get playing time. And now with the SEC loaded from top to bottom. Tenn is no lock to win the bad games.

You're more than welcome to impart me with your infinite wisdom 🙄.

In the case of Gaulden, I didn't realize that she played at Arkansas for two years, not one. In any event, it seems she's leaving Ark w out a diploma if she's not listed as a grad transfer. Doesn't mean she failed classes, it could equally be that she lost some credits along the way. Not enough information to say she has academic issues because she didn't finish in 4 years between FSU and Ark. I transferred after my freshman year, but lost 12 credits so I had to take summer classes to graduate in 4, and my GPA was just fine đź‘Ś
I don't know what it is about some of you posters. A few of you are like a dog fighting over a rag doll. I think it is just ego on your part to see if you can outlast the other poster.

I don't know what it is about some of you posters. A few of you are like a dog fighting over a rag doll. I think it is just ego on your part to see if you can outlast the other poster.

I'm feeling like a bad boy
Mm just like a bad boy
I'm ripping up a rag doll
Like throwin' away an old toy

Old tin lizzy do it till you're dizzy
Give it all you got until you're put out of your misery

New addition to 2020 ( Jordan Walker ) Grad. Transfer with 2 years of eligibility! She is a point guard and will help Horston with pg playing time . This gives us 13 players on the roster for 2020 !

2021 - 2022 class .....
We lose 4 seniors from the 21 class ( KK, Rennia , McCoy , Green ). But add : ( Wynn , Strickland , Puckett , Mile’s ) . This gives us a roster of 13 again for two years in a row !

2022 - 2023 class ! We will be graduating two seniors ( Rae , Walker ). But we will still have 11 returning players and only 4 available scholarships to offer ! That would give us 15 ..... If we continue with 13 players ? That gives only 2 scholarships to offer ? Just saying 🤔

VN Store

Back