The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

HawgBeat - Pair of Arkansas women's basketball players enter transfer portal

"Gaulden, a former five-star recruit, will be looking for the third school of her collegiate career, as she originally signed with Florida State. The 5-foot-7 Georgia native spent just one year with the Seminoles before transferring to Arkansas.

After sitting out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, Gaulden played two seasons with the Razorbacks. She missed seven SEC games with an injury last year, when she averaged 5.0 points and 2.5 assists in 13.0 minutes.

This season, Gaulden led the Razorbacks with 100 assists despite never starting and playing only 16.8 minutes per game, which ranked sixth on the team. She also averaged 6.9 points, highlighted by a 17-point effort at Florida."

Has anyone heard of A'Tyanna Gaulden's plans?

"Gaulden, a former five-star recruit, will be looking for the third school of her collegiate career, as she originally signed with Florida State. The 5-foot-7 Georgia native spent just one year with the Seminoles before transferring to Arkansas.

After sitting out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, Gaulden played two seasons with the Razorbacks. She missed seven SEC games with an injury last year, when she averaged 5.0 points and 2.5 assists in 13.0 minutes.

This season, Gaulden led the Razorbacks with 100 assists despite never starting and playing only 16.8 minutes per game, which ranked sixth on the team. She also averaged 6.9 points, highlighted by a 17-point effort at Florida."

Best player left in the portal IMO haven't heard anything about her plans. I have really kept up to any information I can find and there hasn't been any.

Reactions: mcannon1
She had one bad stat (turnovers) and most of these posters define her by it....can't win that argument Mem...sigh

View attachment 285678

They don't see the 24 upright T's, they see the one upside down T
If it was only 1/25th of her total game, you would be correct. But it wasn't and CKJH recognized it.
However, I do agree with you and I also expect a sizable improvement from Jordan this year. She will be the player that drives the team the next few years. Especially after Rennia graduates.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Been wondering as well. Haven’t heard a peep but am very curious. Surprised she is not a grad transfer given she sat a year.

Been wondering as well. Haven’t heard a peep but am very curious. Surprised she is not a grad transfer given she sat a year.
Transfers too much, so probably needs 2 years at her next school to get a degree.

Transfers too much, so probably needs 2 years at her next school to get a degree.

She wouldn’t be any different from any other grad transfer that has their Undergrad degree and needs two years to finish their masters.

But we’ve also seen at TN how if she is willing to work she could get the degree in a year if she started summer classes worked through the year hard core and ended with summer classes aka Kam Harris

Volfan2012, Thanks for putting the preview up for us. I think you're right.

PG- Jordan Horston, probably backup Destiny Salary
2G-Rae Burrell backups Tess Darby, Jesse Renne
C-Tamari Key, Kushkituah Kasiyahna, Emily Saunders
PF-Keyen Green, Jaiden McCoy
WF-Rennia Davis, Marta Suarez

I hope everyone did a good job working out this summer and are in shape and ready to go. What will be interesting is how quickly those freshmen integrate into the offensive and defensive schemes. I expect we will see a lot of them early in the season as Kellie looks to season them for conference play.

We have a strong starting 4. We're not sure what the newcomers will bring. Kasi, Jaden and Jesse have had a year in the system and will be improved. I expect our bigs will be pretty darn tough this season. I think Jaiden may start ahead of Keyen only because she played last year and will have more experience.

Tess, Destiny and Marta are new and, while talented, will need to acclimate. That will take some time....how much is anyones guess at this point. For those that attended undergraduate studies, I'm sure you remember that first year. It's a lot to get adjusted to then there's basketball.

The keys to a successful (perhaps wildly successful) campaign (IMO) are:

1. Avoid turnovers.
2. Hit most of their shots from 5 feet inwards. We are not a good team from 5 feet and have not been for several years. Hoping they will use the backboard more to improve accuracy.
3. Pull up for jumpers to avoid charges.
4. Be mentally tougher than your opponent at all times. Suck it up and bring it.
5. Avoid injuries. We are not yet deep enough to overcome injuries.

Had we done these three things well last year......

Last edited:
She wouldn’t be any different from any other grad transfer that has their Undergrad degree and needs two years to finish their masters.

But we’ve also seen at TN how if she is willing to work she could get the degree in a year if she started summer classes worked through the year hard core and ended with summer classes aka Kam Harris

Doesn't change the fact that she would be coming to Tennessee without an undergraduate degree, so she would be ineligible to play right away.

Horston had an excellent season....
I think it was a good season not excellent. She needs to be a much better shooter at least 45 percent from the field and over 70 from the line this season. I would like to see her average 15 a game while keeping the shooting efficiency up. I was fine with her rebounding and assists no need for that much improvement in either of those categories. Of course turnovers have to come down and if she could go 2 for 1 turnovers vs assists will be very happy with her progress in those categories.

Doesn't change the fact that she would be coming to Tennessee without an undergraduate degree, so she would be ineligible to play right away.
That is exactly what I am thinking would have to sit a year. She is not on the Arkansas roster and they still have 16 players listed unless one is a walk on they are already over the limit for her to stay there.

Oh you’re assuming she won’t be eligible if she came to TN gotcha 👍 I’m used to a school helping their athletes actually complete their degrees and be STUDENT- athletes.

That is exactly what I am thinking would have to sit a year. She is not on the Arkansas roster and they still have 16 players listed unless one is a walk on they are already over the limit for her to stay there.

Has anybody seen either way if she has or has not completed her degree. Like I said in my other post I guess I am just used to a player actually earning her degree if they spent that amount of time at TN. It was silly of me to assume that other places would do the same

Oh you’re assuming she won’t be eligible if she came to TN gotcha 👍 I’m used to a school helping their athletes actually complete their degrees and be STUDENT- athletes.
No, I'm assuming she won't be eligible to PLAY this season if she transferred to Tennessee. She would be classified as an undergraduate transfer, not a graduate transfer...hence, the required 1 year sit out period. I'm not saying anything about her academic prowes..

I think it was a good season not excellent. She needs to be a much better shooter at least 45 percent from the field and over 70 from the line this season. I would like to see her average 15 a game while keeping the shooting efficiency up. I was fine with her rebounding and assists no need for that much improvement in either of those categories. Of course turnovers have to come down and if she could go 2 for 1 turnovers vs assists will be very happy with her progress in those categories.
Dude.. she was a freshman...... all freshman team as well.what more can you expect!

Reactions: Bret178
Has anybody seen either way if she has or has not completed her degree. Like I said in my other post I guess I am just used to a player actually earning her degree if they spent that amount of time at TN. It was silly of me to assume that other places would do the same
No one knows she is listed on the blog as a redshirt junior not Grad Transfer. That doesn't mean she isn't A Grad Transfer just means he probably didn't know either. The problem is if she doesn't have a degree she wouldn't be eligible next season. You would think in four years she would have it even though she had transferred once already from Florida State to Arkansas and this would be her third school. I could also see a scenario where she is completing courses now to get the degree and is the reason she hasn't chosen a new destination. I would certainly expect to hear something from her by at least August otherwise it would look to me like she has given up school and basketball completely.

I think more Tennessee players finish in 4 years than 3 years, to be honest. Not everyone is a scholar like Rennia or Kamera.

No one knows she is listed on the blog as a redshirt junior not Grad Transfer. That doesn't mean she isn't A Grad Transfer just means he probably didn't know either. The problem is if she doesn't have a degree she wouldn't be eligible next season. You would think in four years she would have it even though she had transferred once already from Florida State to Arkansas and this would be her third school. I could also see a scenario where she is completing courses now to get the degree and is the reason she hasn't chosen a new destination. I would certainly expect to hear something from her by at least August otherwise it would look to me like she has given up school and basketball completely.

Which was my point. Might be the reason why she hasn’t announced. And if I’m correct summer courses are still considered that academic school year so it might be on Ark bill too.

Dude.. she was a freshman...... all freshman team as well.what more can you expect!
I said she had a good season. Considering her ranking you would expected her to be a superstar player from game one. Just shows even if your ranked number one or two even top five there is a learning curve and adaptation at the next level. I like what she did as a freshman other than the turnovers, but she has to reach a more consistent shooting level and certainly has to make free throws from the point position.

She has already been in school for 4 years. If it takes her 6 years to complete a bachelors degree there is an academic problem. Which may be why she hasn’t found a school yet.

Coursework still went on while she sat out in 17-18 and she transferred from one quality university to another so her credits should have transferred easily. Even a change to her classroom major when transferring wouldn’t have set her back since she transferred after her freshman year when she would have been taking only general education courses. Academically she was a senior last year. Which is why I’m surprised she isn’t listed as a graduate transfer.

I think more Tennessee players finish in 4 years than 3 years, to be honest. Not everyone is a scholar like Rennia or Kamera.

I would agree but you have to remember there is also KK from this year, Glory Johnson, and I know there have been more.

Our very own Jordan Horston came with 60 credits so she will most likely graduate in 3 years IF not two.

So while more graduate in 4 it’s not a surprise when they graduate early here at UT.

I know there are more and will post when I think about it.

She has already been in school for 4 years. If it takes her 6 years to complete a bachelors degree there is an academic problem. Which may be why she hasn’t found a school yet.

Coursework still went on while she sat out in 17-18 and she transferred from one quality university to another so her credits should have transferred easily. Even a change to her classroom major when transferring wouldn’t have set her back since she transferred after her freshman year when she would have been taking only general education courses. Academically she was a senior last year. Which is why I’m surprised she isn’t listed as a graduate transfer.

Being in school for 6 years doesn't necessarily say it's an academic problem. It is highly likely that she's losing a ton of credits every time she transfers. Transfers have to typically complete x credits at their new school, which usually averages to ~2 years in addition to the credits that they carry over. If a lot of their credits don't transfer over, it takes longer.

I would agree but you have to remember there is also KK from this year, Glory Johnson, and I know there have been more.

Our very own Jordan Horston came with 60 credits so she will most likely graduate in 3 years IF not two.

So while more graduate in 4 it’s not a surprise when they graduate early here at UT.

I know there are more and will post when I think about it.
Again...not disputing that. I know that Tennessee has had a number of very academically gifted players over the year. Just saying that they tend to be the exception, not the norm.

Folks, a simple answer to all of this questioning about whether Gaulden is a grad transfer can be found in the NCAA five to play four rule. Based on everything I have read, so far, Ms. Gaulden has played three years and redshirted one. If she had to sit out upon transferring from Arkansas, she would exhaust her eligibility, absent a waiver from the NCAA. What school would take a player and fund a year of school hoping that she would get a waiver from the NCAA that would allow her to play one year? If she's not a grad transfer, then entering the portal would seem to be an exercise in futility!

Jim

VN Store

Back