The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

West Virginia averaging 72 points per game and 52 coming from the perimeter players. They have one player shooting 57 percent from the three we need to work her over. Looks like their inside players can't score very well none have a very good percentage. This game will come down to how well we guard the perimeter players they have all are really excellent and one is outstanding.

Don't sleep on Esmery Martinez. She's a beast inside.

Reactions: djtee
We've got the fouls of four posts to play with, so I hope we go hard at Martinez.

Martinez_Esmery.jpg

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Massey has the Lady Vols as a three point underdog going into the WVA homecourt. He also has WVA ranked 22 and the Lady Vols ranked 23, after their last games. This game, in my opinion, is there for the Lady Vols to take. But, I think it may depend on whether Kellie tightens up the roster or whether she continues with the same substitution pattern we have seen last year and in the first two games this year. Also, given the stats put up by the WVA perimeter players in their first two games, I might consider some kind of modified zone defense with KK, Green and Key (when they are in) tasked with guarding the rim and taking away the shots on drives, while our guards play more of a match up zone to take away long range bombs! Just my uninformed opinion.

Jim

It will be interesting to see what defense she plays. We've faced two teams that relied on the outside shot. The shots were plentiful in the 1st game but WKU didn't shoot that well. The shots were open again against ETSU but they drove the ball a lot. ETSU did hit more money shots and was able to keep it a closer game. This game will be against better competition and on their home floor which will favor their shooters.

It will be interesting to see what defense she plays. We've faced two teams that relied on the outside shot. The shots were plentiful in the 1st game but WKU didn't shoot that well. The shots were open again against ETSU but they drove the ball a lot. ETSU did hit more money shots and was able to keep it a closer game. This game will be against better competition and on their home floor which will favor their shooters.

WVU is a guard-oriented team that can shoot from deep but also attack the basket. They are really good in transition, especially their posts. Martinez makes a living off putbacks and short jumpers, and is super-physical. Their 5s aren't scorers, but they are tall, take up space and are decent defenders. This is still a game that Tennessee should win. If the LVs play stingy perimeter defense, have a body on Martinez to keep her from the o-boards on defense, and not be stupid with the ball or rotation, they should win without much problem.

EDIT: Just checked to see how WVU is doing in their game tonight. Martinez with a double double (11 pts, 13 rbds ) after the first half :oops:

EDIT 2: Martinez finished with 17 pts and 22 rbds. For a long time, she had more rebounds than the other team had total.

Last edited:
Massey has the Lady Vols as a three point underdog going into the WVA homecourt. He also has WVA ranked 22 and the Lady Vols ranked 23, after their last games. This game, in my opinion, is there for the Lady Vols to take. But, I think it may depend on whether Kellie tightens up the roster or whether she continues with the same substitution pattern we have seen last year and in the first two games this year. Also, given the stats put up by the WVA perimeter players in their first two games, I might consider some kind of modified zone defense with KK, Green and Key (when they are in) tasked with guarding the rim and taking away the shots on drives, while our guards play more of a match up zone to take away long range bombs! Just my uninformed opinion.

Jim

Seems like two comparable teams where coaching will likely be the difference...

Tamari Key 11 points 7 rebounds and 6 blocks in 29 minutes of play this season. She is 4 of 5 from the field so I wonder why were not trying to go to her more and also why she is only playing 14.5 minutes per game. I think we have to go to her more in the games coming up and need her defense in the middle. I think she really complements whomever we decide to play at the four and think her in the lineup opens up the perimeter more for everyone. I think the little I've seen of her she has improved quite a bit over last season just needs to be integrated into the offense more than we've seen thus far.

Last edited:
Tamari Key 11 points 7 rebounds and 6 blocks in 29 minutes of play this season. She is 4 of 5 from the field so I wonder why were not trying to go to her more and also why she is only playing 14.5 minutes per game. I think we have to go to her more in the games coming up and need her defense in the middle. I think she really complements whomever we decide to play at the four and think her in the lineup opens up the perimeter more for everyone. I think the little I've seen of her she has improved quite a bit over last season just needs to be integrated into the offense more than we've seen thus far.

Might want to edit that pretty quickly 2012...these guys can be pretty harsh

Reactions: Volfan2012
We talked about Teonni so much last year that she is more popular than our own player at least in my mind.

I hear you
I still think it was the right non-move

Coach K is obviously going after certain types of athletes,,,seemingly the self-motivated types.
The three I am most familiar with that we are recruiting are very self-motivated
this is not to say that Teoni is not in that realm

I agree that we have to go to her more. We actually did run at least two plays specifically Designed for her in that ETSU game but our guards did not execute the pass well. Tamari sealed well both times but needed a nice lob pass over the top to score. The ball was too low and got tipped on the entry. Tamari could still work on getting early post position. If you can get to your spot and seal in the secondary break you can get much better positioning. She’s waiting to post up until we’re running the offense and she gets pushed off her spot.

Biggest thing for me is how invaluable Tamari is on defense. She is a true paint protector and we haven’t had that for a long time. She does a great job of dissuading opposing guards from driving into the paint. In the first two games there were several times teams tried to penetrate when she was in the game and had to kick it back out or pull back. Three years ago we had nothing to stop the dribble drive, our posts were not imposing. For Russell’s height and athleticism she never deterred the dribble drive like Tamari does. Key comes to help side and the ballhandler can already taste leather 😂.

I think her reduced minutes is simply a product of getting the reserves minutes in the first two games. I presume she and KK will both play around 25 minutes this season. Either one may play more depending on who is executing better.

I hear you
I still think it was the right non-move

Coach K is obviously going after certain types of athletes,,,seemingly the self-motivated types.
The three I am most familiar with that we are recruiting are very self-motivated
this is not to say that Teoni is not in that realm
Why was this the right non-move and are you saying Harper turned her down?

VN Store

Back