That is a big shark

That whole Charleston area is shark infested. I had a shark pop up in less than 2 feet of water only about 6 feet from me at Isle of Palms. Every time I’m in that area I see sharks very close to shore.

There was most likely a fatal attack back around 2005 (I think that was the year) on a surfer at Folly Beach. The guy was sitting on his board with other surfers around, and they saw some fins pop up. Shortly thereafter he disappeared from his board and his body was never discovered. South Carolina has it listed as a drowning since the body never turned up. It must have been a pretty big shark.

Scientists have recently discovered that Charleston is the Great White Shark Mecca on the East Coast.

SC is infested with sharks.

I worked as a mate on a charter boat out of Hilton Head for 2.5 summers during college. We literally fished 1/4 to a 1/2 mile off shore or right at the mouth of Calibogue Sound for sharks. If dusk corresponded with a slack tide, we'd drop a carcass from our morning/afternoon catch (usually a spanish mak, king mak or whole barracuda), and we almost always hooked into a big shark - sand tigers, lemons, bulls, duskies, blacktips, bonnetheads.

I pretty much stopped swimming in the ocean after that.

Fun to see from the beach... not so much when it's between you and the beach.

Before the MPAA rating system, my parents apparently thought it'd be a good idea to take me at age 7 to see Jaws. No bueno!

Needless to say I wouldn't swim in the pool much less the ocean for literally years thereafter. Thanks, Spielberg.

I was the same way, Jaws scared me out of the water.

Eventually, I got back in the water and in the late 90's I got scuba certified. Now, I dive with sharks all the time and realize how stupid that movie is.

Sharks are just like most of us, a little curious but mostly want to be left alone.

I was disappointed to see the coast guard shooting at them this year. Totally uncalled for and obviously have no idea about sharks.

I worked as a mate on a charter boat out of Hilton Head for 2.5 summers during college. We literally fished 1/4 to a 1/2 mile off shore or right at the mouth of Calibogue Sound for sharks. If dusk corresponded with a slack tide, we'd drop a carcass from our morning/afternoon catch (usually a spanish mak, king mak or whole barracuda), and we almost always hooked into a big shark - sand tigers, lemons, bulls, duskies, blacktips, bonnetheads.

What makes you lucky enought to chomped on by a shark?

You realize the only remotely aggresive shark on that list is a bull, right?

What makes you lucky enought to chomped on by a shark?

You realize the only remotely aggresive shark on that list is a bull, right?

tenor (69).gif

Ummm...

So I'm NAUI certified, done a shark feeding dive in Bahamas, and have a master's in marine science FWIW. Still concerned anytime I go swimming or fishing in the ocean. It's probably the randomness of a shark attack that gets me... yeah, highly improbable like getting struck by lightning, but can happen to anyone.

Reactions: davethevol
"yeah, highly improbable like getting struck by lightning, but can happen to anyone." This reinforces my question, what makes you think that you are lucky enough to get chomped on by a shark? If the odds are at lightning strike level then what makes you think you are that lucky? If you are that lucky then you must play the lottery. These are great odds, so what makes you think something negative is more likely than positive?

I am aware of sharks but I would not say concerned. I usually have dead or dying fish with me that are bleeding and they leave me alone. They are around me often but usually mind their own business. Most curious I have ever had a shark was close enough for me to poke with my gun. My poke was just that, not a stab but a poke. This was down in Florida which has much more curious sharks, some say, in response to the newish trend of eco tourism of shark feeding. If I have been diving and shooting fish for over 20 years then wouldn't I have been chomped on yet? It could happen on anytime, including this Sunday but I will take the risk, lots of other things cause me concern like Tennessee Football and politics.

What area of Marine science did you study?

Reactions: MontyPython
That whole Charleston area is shark infested. I had a shark pop up in less than 2 feet of water only about 6 feet from me at Isle of Palms. Every time I’m in that area I see sharks very close to shore.

There was most likely a fatal attack back around 2005 (I think that was the year) on a surfer at Folly Beach. The guy was sitting on his board with other surfers around, and they saw some fins pop up. Shortly thereafter he disappeared from his board and his body was never discovered. South Carolina has it listed as a drowning since the body never turned up. It must have been a pretty big shark.

Scientists have recently discovered that Charleston is the Great White Shark Mecca on the East Coast.
My wife and I were walking on SI and saw a 6' shark chasing bait in ankle-deep water. You can catch sharks all day long in the harbor.

Reactions: Boca Vol

Did you see this?
Southeast For-Hire Electronic Reporting Program

"yeah, highly improbable like getting struck by lightning, but can happen to anyone." This reinforces my question, what makes you think that you are lucky enough to get chomped on by a shark? If the odds are at lightning strike level then what makes you think you are that lucky? If you are that lucky then you must play the lottery. These are great odds, so what makes you think something negative is more likely than positive?

I am aware of sharks but I would not say concerned. I usually have dead or dying fish with me that are bleeding and they leave me alone. They are around me often but usually mind their own business. Most curious I have ever had a shark was close enough for me to poke with my gun. My poke was just that, not a stab but a poke. This was down in Florida which has much more curious sharks, some say, in response to the newish trend of eco tourism of shark feeding. If I have been diving and shooting fish for over 20 years then wouldn't I have been chomped on yet? It could happen on anytime, including this Sunday but I will take the risk, lots of other things cause me concern like Tennessee Football and politics.

What area of Marine science did you study?

I know, I know. It's a phobia really for me. Heights, lightening and sharks. Pretty much my whole list.

Marine resource management. My thesis was an economic analysis of the scallop industry, but I really just went back to learn how to fish better.

Reactions: joevol33

Didn't see that. No longer in the field.

Ocearch is pretty amazing if you haven't checked it out. If I were to ever go back into the field, I'd like to be one of the shark catchers on that project.

Check out the shark "Katharine". She's an 18-foot, 2,300 pound great white. You can search all the critters there, btw. Check out her history. During the winter of 2015, she came into the sound here in the Outer Banks and (seemingly) was pinged at a distance 40 miles inland. Right next to a place I go crabbing all the time (Swanquarter).

Now that would be disconcerting to see crabbing.

Didn't see that. No longer in the field.

Ocearch is pretty amazing if you haven't checked it out. If I were to ever go back into the field, I'd like to be one of the shark catchers on that project.

Check out the shark "Katharine". She's an 18-foot, 2,300 pound great white. You can search all the critters there, btw. Check out her history. During the winter of 2015, she came into the sound here in the Outer Banks and (seemingly) was pinged at a distance 40 miles inland. Right next to a place I go crabbing all the time (Swanquarter).

Now that would be disconcerting to see crabbing.
Thanks for sharing!

I know, I know. It's a phobia really for me. Heights, lightening and sharks. Pretty much my whole list.

Marine resource management. My thesis was an economic analysis of the scallop industry, but I really just went back to learn how to fish better.

Mine is more spiders and snakes. Not even a big fan of eels.

Yeah the job market in marine science is very difficult to impossible.

Not sure if you are aware of these sites

The second can be a live feed but it is not right now.

VN Store

Back