That 0-9 Rule

i love how it’s always “the starting qb was out” like it was some mystical force that kept him from playing and not a relentless assault from the Tennessee defense.
I agree. But we need to get that relentless assault you speak of in play against these SEC opponents. Question: Do you guys think CJH is smart enough to game plan against one team while at the same time, be setting up another opponent ? I’m wondering if there’s some hidden coaching brilliance, play every game a little different and never let the next opponent know what they’re going to get … ? Obviously we’re not going to smash mouth everyone on D … Food for thought.

IMO, Hooker is the best QB in the SEC. That was not the point of my post. The point was, given your defense, you will have score a lot. Ole noodle are may not be any good, but he is light years better then Anthony Richardson, who torched your D.

Yes and what happened when both your WRs were out vs. Kent State. He profits from the NFL talent around him.

People diss Stetson Bennett purely because he used to be a walk on. It has no other basis in reality. He is better than 95% of the other quarterbacks in CFB.

He is overated and surrounded by NFL talent.

I do give him props for having some heart and coming through in the NC game though. But let's see how well he does on a team with regular talent vs the future NFL players at uga. I don't think it would be pretty.

You haven't played anyone with a solid defense yet. You're making all of these predictions and assumptions based on playing 4 not so good defenses and two of those teams put up a ton of offense against you. You also barely beat Pitt and Florida and now all of a sudden you can beat Georgia and Alabama? Pitt lost their starting quarterback and was playing with a back up quarterback with one leg and Florida is in a rebuilding year with a first year coach so you called them in a totally off here which was a good time to catch them. I'm not sure how that equates to becoming equal to Georgia and Alabama. I think the real test will come against LSU and Kentucky. I don't give Tennessee a chance whatsoever against Alabama. Georgia and Alabama are years ahead of Tennessee with regard to top five recruiting classes and they have solid offenses and defenses. Any team can sneak up on another one on any given Saturday but weekend and week out Tennessee does not have the depth to compete with Alabama for instance.

I never said we "can beat Georgia and Alabama"..... However, it is not a stretch to say that Tennessee's offense is one of the best in the country. To sit and act like anyone is taking a victory lap and saying I'm declaring season over and won is lunacy.

And once again, I made it crystal clear. Without help on defense (holding them under 50% 3rd down conversion / turnovers), we won't likely keep up with them. Do I have confidence we can put up points on both Bama and Georgia with our current depth chart? Of course I do.

LSU does not scare me and neither does UK.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Not sure how old some of you are or how much you have followed sports in general. But I’ve rooted for and watched a lot of ball and a lot of teams. I’m ALWAYS hopeful “my“ team wins it all. (And what a ride that is when it happens!) … Sometimes teams find a way to win but the VAST majority won’t. I’ve learned how to navigate this: keep your expectations LOW and you hopes HIGH … We’re probably going to finish with 8-10 wins. But at 4-0 … absolutely my HOPES are high.

Georgia has way too many playmakers to compete with. I doubt we will be beat Bama, but I also think they aren’t as strong as they were a couple years ago. I think Sagan’s best years are behind him.
The raw talent level @ Bama is second to none. Georgia & Ohio State are right there at their heels. Those three have taken up a huge percentage of the five star and upper level four star players. Then it's the other teams behind them. All three would be tough to beat.

But we don't have the same. That's the scary part.
And yet here we sit with a chance to prove to our non-believer fans and the rest of the nation that Tennessee is here to play. Florida had athletes all over the field and we had them blowing coverages and missing reads. That was a game they only had a chance in because we we're not perfectly crisp on offense. We can be better than we've played on both sides of the ball. Florida is comfortably in the rear view for this year. Let's go play ball.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
People diss Stetson Bennett purely because he used to be a walk on. It has no other basis in reality. He is better than 95% of the other quarterbacks in CFB.

Having Georgia's receiving corps, Bowers and Washington at tight end, and McIntosh at running back doesn't hurt either.

But you're not wrong. He kept JT Daniels on the bench even after he got healthy again.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
He is overated and surrounded by NFL talent.

I do give him props for having some heart and coming through in the NC game though. But let's see how well he does on a team with regular talent vs the future NFL players at uga. I don't think it would be pretty.
He makes plays with his feet, dude can play. He might not have any sort of pro football future but based on how he actually plays in games not pro potential, he is probably the third best QB in the SEC after Hooker and Young. He has it between the ears where alot of guys with better measurables don't and probably never will.

Reactions: tdawgs
It has been said that a new hire that goes 0-9 their first 3 years versus Florida, Georgia and Alabama should be dismissed. Heupel has, early in year 2, shattered this rule with Saturday's defeat of Florida. I think that this team has a realistic chance of beating Georgia or Alabama this year as well.
Shattered?

Are we better than Texas? Bama and UGA are better but this is the first team in a long time that will go into the games expecting to win and will play like it… we won’t lay down and both games will be winnable in the 4th… will we win? I’m not sure but it’s not laughable to say we can beat either one. Great Qb play gives you a chance in any game…
Ok all yall can continue to get yalls hopes up but when we lose by 20+ points again I'll be here saying I told yall so. I hate losing by that much but I also don't believe in fairytales

Ok all yall can continue to get yalls hopes up but when we lose by 20+ points again I'll be here saying I told yall so. I hate losing by that much but I also don't believe in fairytales
Fairy tales ? Texas took Bama to the wire and we are better than them… a sold out neyland and elite Qb play will give us a chance to compete… never said we would win but this not the Tennessee of old they will be well prepared and they won’t roll over just because it’s Bama… you will see

Hmm...

Siri, set a reminder: buy cigars. Just in case.

Go Vols!

I saw Swishers at the BP last night and paused for an inappropriately long time.

We’re at the house money phase of the season. Whether we win in BR or not, I think we’re gonna at least scare the scat out of Bama.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Fairy tales ? Texas took Bama to the wire and we are better than them… a sold out neyland and elite Qb play will give us a chance to compete… never said we would win but this not the Tennessee of old they will be well prepared and they won’t roll over just because it’s Bama… you will see
Texas has a better defense and Bama is plating better than they did against texas.

Realistic,I think we lose to Bama,Georiga and could lose to Kentucky if not a drastic turnaround in the defensive backfield!I really do believe we beat Kentucky though!
I don't think Kentucky will beats us throwing the football and our run defense is better than last year. Other people have been scoring point on them and we will too. We beat UK by 7-10 points.

Are we favored to beat Alabama or Georgia? No. They have far more depth and players than us. Depth is still a problem because we only have 1 full year's worth of a recruiting class under Heupel.

However, we play the game. As long as we play them, we have a shot. We may need a little help (i.e. mistakes and turnovers or mistake free football from our end) but it isn't impossible for us to beat them.

Guys, Tennessee will never be among the tops in pass defense, even with 4 All Americans back there because 1) good teams will throw to ball cause the know they have to score points in order to win and 2) bad teams will be behind quickly and be throwing the ball early. College Stats, this early particulary, are more about how & who you play
These are good points, but the thing is these points apply to the other strong teams. We are still way worse than the other teams whose opponents also have to throw against them. All you had to do was watch how Hadden missed 4 or 5 tackles to of which were in tandem with another DB missing a tackle on the same play allowing a big TD. It's one thing these guys are open, it's another our DBs can't tackle. This has nothing to do with stats, scheme, or coaching because the other groups tackle well. These guys are just BAD. They may cost us some games and almost have already. We are a couple of years out from having solid DB play assuming Martinez is allowed to stay and is able to keep and add to this crop of DBs that committed to us this year.

These are good points, but the thing is these points apply to the other strong teams. We are still way worse than the other teams whose opponents also have to throw against them. All you had to do was watch how Hadden missed 4 or 5 tackles to of which were in tandem with another DB missing a tackle on the same play allowing a big TD. It's one thing these guys are open, it's another our DBs can't tackle. This has nothing to do with stats, scheme, or coaching because the other groups tackle well. These guys are just BAD. They may cost us some games and almost have already. We are a couple of years out from having solid DB play assuming Martinez is allowed to stay and is able to keep and add to this crop of DBs that committed to us this year.

I can not deny that Hadden had a horrible tackling game vs Florida. Letting a guy catch a ball is one thing, letting him run down the field breaking tackles is another. Im sure he heard alot about that.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I can not deny that Hadden had a horrible tackling game vs Florida. Letting a guy catch a ball is one thing, letting him run down the field breaking tackles is another. Im sure he heard alot about that.
I hope these guys turn the corner not just for us and the players but also for Martinez. I like him as a coach and we need those stories to help him recruit at a high level at that position.

We’ve come close to beating Bama multiple times throughout the streak. I wouldn’t write us off just yet. We could totally beat them in a few weeks

VN Store

Back