Thanks for the memories Pons, Keon, Springer, Fulky and JJJ

Fulky to me is a question mark as far as his future, is he ready for the business world, coaching? As for Johnson he is definitely NBA ready and a first rounder. Springer is probably a second rounder if he comes out and the developmental league and overseas play could be part of his future. Same with JJJ I just do not see NBA ready for Springer and JJJ. No wishful thinking by me about either of those. I do think the UT fanbase is ready to see Barnes leave so we can start the coaching merry go round with the BB program. If we lose them they think Barnes is closer to the exit door and we can hire a real coach. Time to make a coaching bracket based on the next great hire?

Reactions: Border Vol
PG - Chandler / Vescovi
SG - Vescovi / Bailey Jr
SF - JJJ / Mashack
PF - NKamua/ Walker / Anosike
C - Fulk / Uros

Bubble team roster unless we make some major upgrades.

After seeing it on paper, this team will be hard pressed to go 7 deep, with limited potential from PF. I don’t think Fulky returns for a sixth year as he may be ready to move on to the next chapter of his life as his body took a pounding throughout his career.

Who is going to be our outside shooter beyond then arc? Idk much about Chandler except he is an elite ball handler.

Thoughts?

My point being that he was a 5* out of school and most were talking about him being one and done.

His development FOR A FIVE STAR PLAYER WITH POTENTIAL has been non-existent or he has regressed.

My second point is that Barnes does not develop his players above their normal progression (experience).
Nobody who knows anything about his game and about the NBA was talking about him being one and done. I'd stop listening to those people and/or letting them influence your opinion.

I heard the entire team is going G-League, it's amazing how folks downgrade a eduaction and playing for a university. My question why even go to college a year just let the ones go to the G-League. Make that 7,000, the G-League has a ton of work learning this bunch how to shoot and many other things. Keon and Springer are talented but got miles to go to be a quality NBA player. Even the Barkleys and Kenny Smith's say the NBA and fundamental sound basketball hardly exist anymore. I'm loving watching the eastern washingtons whipping kansas. Talent is being spread more even these days, good teams that stick together can play with schools that have alot of one and dones. Kentucky is a prime example, I have no doubt they will hit on a group of ne and dones if they keep going that route exclusively but be ready for them 2-3 year bad teams as well. Not all top groups are the same physically and mentally. GBO!!!!

I heard the entire team is going G-League, it's amazing how folks downgrade a eduaction and playing for a university. My question why even go to college a year just let the ones go to the G-League. Make that 7,000, the G-League has a ton of work learning this bunch how to shoot and many other things. Keon and Springer are talented but got miles to go to be a quality NBA player. Even the Barkleys and Kenny Smith's say the NBA and fundamental sound basketball hardly exist anymore. I'm loving watching the eastern washingtons whipping kansas. Talent is being spread more even these days, good teams that stick together can play with schools that have alot of one and dones. Kentucky is a prime example, I have no doubt they will hit on a group of ne and dones if they keep going that route exclusively but be ready for them 2-3 year bad teams as well. Not all top groups are the same physically and mentally. GBO!!!!
The endorsement money may level the playing field with G league. First, you can't get a built in fanbase of millions to play in front of in the G league. Second, your endorsement value in G league is ZERO! At TN, you could see a player like Keon picking up 6 figures worth of endorsement cash.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I like going the mix route, get a few 5 stars and few 4 stars and some of other good sound players. I think exclusive 1 and done like Claipari came in doing is on the way out. You will catch lightning in a bottle every 3 years or so but their will be ugly years as well. Barnes has done a nice job lately at recruting the mix. I have zero problem with a player leaving early, but I would want to know up front is this player at least going to attempt college while he is here and I would look at his being able to learn within the team concept. Keon and Springer have done that well whatever they do, as have most of Barnes players. But you need to have some older players too, that can lead. The admiral and Williams and Bone were great team players and leaders. Let's hope we can continue with that type of player. This years team just didn't have a true scorer to rely on. We need to recruit some consistent shooters and for sure need a big man or 2 that can rebound underneath. GBO!!!

Last edited:
My point being that he was a 5* out of school and most were talking about him being one and done.

His development FOR A FIVE STAR PLAYER WITH POTENTIAL has been non-existent or he has regressed.

My second point is that Barnes does not develop his players above their normal progression (experience).
.....and u would be wrong, that's Barnes biggest strength, developing players. Do u even understand basketball, madam ? Maybe u should stick to your night job, apparently pimping. Do u know Hazel ?

Wow. You haven't paid attention, Dog. Barnes is in the bottom five of SEC in developing players.

Are you a complete maroon or just when it comes to basketball?

Wow. You haven't paid attention, Dog. Barnes is in the bottom five of SEC in developing players.

Funny you say that considering Barnes has developed many 3* players.

Again, your blind hate for the guy is getting in the way of facts.

He developed Admiral and Williams and Kyle Alexander. Alexander steadily got better every year. Barnes has been real good at developing players. He developed Bone as well. Sometimes players just never fully develop no matter who is coach. Barnes can and has developed talent, there is no doubt about that. GBO!!!!

Barnes player development is his best attribute honestly. He is a very good developer of talent, has a good eye for underrated talent, makes great assistant hires, and coaches good defense. His recruiting is good if also a little unbalanced. He struggles at in game coaching and runs a terribly outdated offensive scheme.

Bwaa-ha-ha, good one. Naw, other than this year and I will give u this year, his player development has been off the charts. 3rd year kids, especially. Look at Bone, Alexander, Fulk, Admiral and even Grant as examples of the 3rd year jump in production. Pons, too. Now, this year we didn't see it, I agree, but this wasn't your average year. Watch for JJJ, Bailey, ON, and Vescovi to be a lot better next year. Maybe even Gaines, Pember and Uros, if they all hang around. Barnes biggest weakness, imo, is his outdated motion offense, especially without a dominant post presence. But, u and I can agree to disagree

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back