Thank God its not Football season!

That is so far with 80% coming from one region in China.
So do you do nothing and let the virus spread and kill more people and let it linger and possibly mutate? Keep in mind no vaccine and no one wants a repeat of Wuhan. Our do you try to get people to do something and stay home for 2 weeks and keep it from spreading and maybe the virus dies. \ to not do something would be stupid and insane.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
The flu has a death rate of 0.1% on average. This Coronavirus has a death rate between 3 and 4%....30-40 times higher than the flu. Tell me again how my argument is weak? And no, I’m nowhere near a “big government” guy

Be careful with statistics if no context is added. Inside the US, the COVID-19 death rate is 1% while the flu death rate is 0.1%. So COVID-19 is 10 times more deadly technically, but it’s not really deadly when 99% survive it.

This will pass soon enough. Do your part, stay healthy, and away from large crowds. It'll be short lived.

And for the love of all things holy, don't hoard, that means someone will do without.

**Edit** A question to ponder: What would happen with all the donation and season ticket sales?

Last edited:
Reactions: 24/7vol
So do you do nothing and let the virus spread and kill more people and let it linger and possibly mutate? Keep in mind no vaccine and no one wants a repeat of Wuhan. Our do you try to get people to do something and stay home for 2 weeks and keep it from spreading and maybe the virus dies. \ to not do something would be stupid and insane.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is suggesting that we do nothing.

Worst numbers I've seen for today 15 MAR 2020 3020 confirmed cases, 60 deaths from complications. 40 of the 60 deaths are centered in Seattle Washington and about 400 cases. Including Seattle the mortality rate is 1.9%, without Seattle the mortality rate drops to below .7%. We are in day 45 of this "crisis"(first US case reported 29 JAN 2020).

Minus Seattle we are looking at 20 deaths, 2,500ish infections. Somehow I think we can absorb those kind of numbers. 45 days into what is likely a 90 day "crisis". My greatest fear is that this will be our new norm. Extreme panic driven overreaction on demand. Our civilization looks extremely fragile right now if this is all it takes for us to abandon it.

20 deaths is less than were expected pre "pandemic" in Chicago for saint Patrick's day celebrations.

This will pass soon enough. Do your part, stay healthy, and away from large crowds. It'll be short lived.

And for the love of all things holy, don't hoard, that means someone will do without.

**Edit** A question to ponder: What would happen with all the donation and season ticket sales?

I was a toilet paper hoarder for years. I ran out once, vowed never again. I used to buy 2-3 of the biggest Charmin red packs at Sam's Club every time I thought about it. The downstairs bedroom became a storage room for Charmin, Tide Pods, Paper Towels etc. When we moved I donated most of it to a church to give away. Now I try to keep less than 100 rolls in the house. I'm down to 38 rolls of Charmin and I gotta admit it makes me uncomfortable. When this "crisis" is over I will restock to a more comfortable level and maintain it.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Worst numbers I've seen for today 15 MAR 2020 3020 confirmed cases, 60 deaths from complications. 40 of the 60 deaths are centered in Seattle Washington and about 400 cases. Including Seattle the mortality rate is 1.9%, without Seattle the mortality rate drops to below .7%. We are in day 45 of this "crisis"(first US case reported 29 JAN 2020).

Minus Seattle we are looking at 20 deaths, 2,500ish infections. Somehow I think we can absorb those kind of numbers. 45 days into what is likely a 90 day "crisis". My greatest fear is that this will be our new norm. Extreme panic driven overreaction on demand. Our civilization looks extremely fragile right now if this is all it takes for us to abandon it.

20 deaths is less than were expected pre "pandemic" in Chicago for saint Patrick's day celebrations.
So what would you do? How would you try to defeat thiss?

Approximately how many?
Well approximately me, my wife and our 3 kids. We have all been to the doctor within the last 2-3 months with the symptoms and tested negative for the flu and strep. I personally know at least a handful of friends and co-workers with the same story. Just because somebody hasn't tested positive for it doesn't mean they haven't had it, and survived it

So what would you do? How would you try to defeat thiss?
I wouldn't go to Seattle, NYC, California, Atlanta, Florida for atleast 90 days. But I avoid those areas already. I have a reduced immune system due to taking prednisone for 15 years so I already take the normal flu season precautions.

I was a toilet paper hoarder for years. I ran out once, vowed never again. I used to buy 2-3 of the biggest Charmin red packs at Sam's Club every time I thought about it. The downstairs bedroom became a storage room for Charmin, Tide Pods, Paper Towels etc. When we moved I donated most of it to a church to give away. Now I try to keep less than 100 rolls in the house. I'm down to 38 rolls of Charmin and I gotta admit it makes me uncomfortable. When this "crisis" is over I will restock to a more comfortable level and maintain it.
I don't have a problem with your type of hoarding, sounds like you would be doing it regardless.

Careful you don't set yourself up for a criminal charge of possession with intent to distribute.

Careful you don't set yourself up for a criminal charge of possession with intent to distribute.
I fully intend to distribute it as per the normal means to the usual area.

As for the panic buying, Alcoa Walmart yesterday was almost out of frozen food, eggs, all forms of lysol, and paper goods, baby wipes, crackers, lunch meat and stuff in that area, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, hamburger meat, chicken.

Hours for Walmart are 6am-11pm until further notice. What am I missing here?

I fully intend to distribute it as per the normal means to the usual area.

As for the panic buying, Alcoa Walmart yesterday was almost out of frozen food, eggs, all forms of lysol, and paper goods, baby wipes, crackers, lunch meat and stuff in that area, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, hamburger meat, chicken.

Hours for Walmart are 6am-11pm until further notice. What am I missing here?

We're really learning something about ourselves as a society, aren't we? It's actually pretty fascinating. And scary.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Personally I got no problem practicing this “social distancing” thing. Especially from selfish fools like I see on sites like this. Selfish fools and gamblers that just want their sports to continue. I got an idea. You can gamble on the over and under on the number of deaths that occur from this mess. That should satisfy your selfishness. The further I stay away from these dimwits, the better I like it. Social distancing is a great thing at times.

Reactions: rocytop2624
We're really learning something about ourselves as a society, aren't we? It's actually pretty fascinating. And scary.
Seen it before. When it snows a half inch in Memphis, the grocery stores run out of milk and bread.

Millennials and teenagers should be really good at this social distancing thing. Watch ‘em in a restaurant. All they do is look at their cell phones and don’t talk to one another. Or sit in their basements and play video games. Should be easy for them to adopt.

Well approximately me, my wife and our 3 kids. We have all been to the doctor within the last 2-3 months with the symptoms and tested negative for the flu and strep. I personally know at least a handful of friends and co-workers with the same story. Just because somebody hasn't tested positive for it doesn't mean they haven't had it, and survived it

Are you suggesting that every undiagnosed upper respiratory infection is an example of “surviving” the Coronavirus? That would put cases well into the millions just in the US alone and with less than a hundred deaths out of those millions would put the death rate at almost zero. It’s this kind of nonsense that breeds both ends of the spectrum: no change in behavior and armed hoarders.

Personally I got no problem practicing this “social distancing” thing. Especially from selfish fools like I see on sites like this. Selfish fools and gamblers that just want their sports to continue. I got an idea. You can gamble on the over and under on the number of deaths that occur from this mess. That should satisfy your selfishness. The further I stay away from these dimwits, the better I like it. Social distancing is a great thing at times.

Take the under. Outside of Seattle the mortality rate is .8% and will fall as more people get tested.

Are you suggesting that every undiagnosed upper respiratory infection is an example of “surviving” the Coronavirus? That would put cases well into the millions just in the US alone and with less than a hundred deaths out of those millions would put the death rate at almost zero. It’s this kind of nonsense that breeds both ends of the spectrum: no change in behavior and armed hoarders.
Maybe not every case but it's not unfathomable to believe that more people have had it than what has been confirmed

I was sick from 18 DEC 2019 through 10 JAN 2020 and popped negative FLU and pneumonia

Reactions: GoBigOrange_2309
Flu mortality rate .7-1.4%, chinese flu .8-1.8%. Math is your friend
This is what you see in the data. China’s fatality rate is now between 3.6% and 6.1%. If you project that in the future, it looks like it converges towards ~3.8%-4%. This is double the current estimate, and 30 times worse than the flu. (This is from cdc)

Last edited:
Maybe not every case but it's not unfathomable to believe that more people have had it than what has been confirmed
Of course not but if we are to believe that millions of people have had it and had little to no symptoms then this will have done irreparable harm to the economy. Pandemics don’t unnoticeably infect millions of people, there would be thousands of bodies in the US alone. In general pandemics are contagious AND deadly, lots of common issues are contagious like lice and the common cold but aren’t life threatening. We have to believe that it has infected a relatively small part of the population with a 3-4 percent death rate otherwise this a pointless mass hysteria.

VN Store

Back