Thank God its not Football season!

You keep repeating the same mantra. So do we shut the country down every flu season? Your argument is weak and you are obviously a big government guy.
The flu mortality rate is minuscule compared to this. If flu killed at the same rate we probably would.

The flu mortality rate is minuscule compared to this. If flu killed at the same rate we probably would.

While I won't deny, it's a higher rate, it's skewed because basically only the serious cases have been diagnosed. There are a lot of people who are going to have this thing, get over it, and never knew they had it. They'll just assume they had the flu

While I won't deny, it's a higher rate, it's skewed because basically only the serious cases have been diagnosed. There are a lot of people who are going to have this thing, get over it, and never knew they had it. They'll just assume they had the flu

Approximately how many?

Reactions: MarcoVol

Wrong!
COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.*
Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.
*This information comes from the Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases map developed by the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

They still don't know. So define "minuscule" by your statement. Following the hysteria is not helpful.

I just wonder, because I don't know if I live in a bubble or not, what the national mood to this stuff is.

My belief, is that if these things were not shut down, the public would still be behaving as the public normally does.

Example: If the NBA were still playing games, the attendance would be no different. I don't believe the arena would be half empty because of fear of catching this thing.

The people I run into are asking questions about what "they" are going to do. Are they going to shut down the schools? Are they going to cancel or postpone the National (insert name here) Association 2020 convention? Are "they" going to close the office. You name it.

I have yet, honest to God, run into someone who has said.....I don't care what "they" do, I'm not going, attending, participating, etc. "They" can do what they want, but my *** is staying right here.

I don't know what you all run into on a daily basis..

I have a distant affiliation with someone who was diagnosed with it -- someone I haven't seen in years. Other than them, I don't know of anyone I've ever met who has it. Went to Costco yesterday and the checkout lines were to the back of the store. There was nothing I needed that made me consider staying, so I walked out. Many of the stores around here are sold out of toilet paper, which goes to demonstrate how susceptible people are to the influence of social media. Don't get me wrong, I like to have toilet paper on hand as much as the next person. But you can survive without it, while more necessary items are still readily available.

It's one of the reasons that, to me, this whole thing has the feel of a vast experiment in human behavior, with the media creating progressively more sensational headlines in an effort to ramp up the anxiety and fear every day. This morning I saw a headline speculating about the collapse of the United States and another one asking whether God is unhappy with mankind. If it was their goal to incite panic and make things worse, they couldn't be doing a much better job at it, IMO.

You keep repeating the same mantra. So do we shut the country down every flu season? Your argument is weak and you are obviously a big government guy.
The flu has a death rate of 0.1% on average. This Coronavirus has a death rate between 3 and 4%....30-40 times higher than the flu. Tell me again how my argument is weak? And no, I’m nowhere near a “big government” guy

The flu has a death rate of 0.1% on average. This Coronavirus has a death rate between 3 and 4%....30-40 times higher than the flu. Tell me again how my argument is weak? And no, I’m nowhere near a “big government” guy
Wrong! Once again read the above report from John Hopkins.

Wrong! Once again read the above report from John Hopkins.

Basic statistics might help you....

Case fatality rate = death from disease/total cases
Coronavirus case fatality rate (based on the article YOU gave me) 5817 deaths divided by 155,923 total reported cases = 0.037 (which is 3.7%)

Your statesmen concerning the "state of the world" during the outbreak of the big flu of early 1900s as been thought to have been the case as to the severity of the results of being sick. However as it relates to the early 2000s illness, don't you think there are more people world wide that fall into the situation you describe now than did in the early 1900s? Do we now or will we ever know how many people world wide will suffer this time. The illness then was better coped with by the public then as we are able to now. They were more self reliant than the public is now. Their resulting depression was/has been somewhat overlooked. I don't think that will be the case this time around. As this starts, we are worried to the stage of panic about wiping our asses.

No what you are asserting isn’t remotely true, the population during World War did not have a better diet, standard of living, or medical care. The population at that time was not better equipped to handle a pandemic. What we know of as modern medicine did not exist until well after World War I. Antibiotics weren’t developed until the late 20’s/early 30’s and the need for proper hygiene in terms of medical instruments was greatly ignored on the battle front. The populations of Europe suffered widespread hunger during the war as well as the millions of soldiers. Today’s populations aren’t even remotely comparable to the conditions brought upon by World War I. Everything for diet, hygiene, to medical care is vastly superior.

This is getting STUPID!!! Honestly, let get real folks. Also, I stopped at Target today to get a few things we needed at the house and they were completely out of toilet paper! WHAT THE FREAKING CRAP IS GOING ON??? I thought the virus was a respiratory infection? Does it give you the poops?
I am getting the feeling your one of those people who don't keep up with current events...Watch the news sometime.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Basic statistics might help you....

Case fatality rate = death from disease/total cases
Coronavirus case fatality rate (based on the article YOU gave me) 5817 deaths divided by 155,923 total reported cases = 0.037 (which is 3.7%)
That is so far with 80% coming from one region in China.

Reactions: 508mikey
This is getting STUPID!!! Honestly, let get real folks. Also, I stopped at Target today to get a few things we needed at the house and they were completely out of toilet paper! WHAT THE FREAKING CRAP IS GOING ON??? I thought the virus was a respiratory infection? Does it give you the poops?
I agree... toilet paper, alcohol, hand sanitizers are some of the things that are essentially out of stock everywhere. The Kroger I go to was even out of dried great northern (white) beans. Good grief!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

iu

rather odd how this guy even got a test -- isnt the scumbag media claiming there isnt many tests available ?

Or he could have a billionaire owner and have those pushed to the front of the line like the Utah Jazz did...

The media on both sides has done a horrible job

If COVID-19 survives in hot and humid temperatures the get ready, there will be no large gatherings of people til late Spring 2021, when it’s presumed that a vaccine will be ready

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back