Texas, Oklahoma to the SEC: Longhorns, Sooners targeting 2024 as debut season in league, per report

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I'm all for the Big 12 getting all they can from OU and TU. Why not?

If I'm a fan of all of the schools that are still there, the way I'm looking at this is this should be a fun as hell conference. Top to bottom, this new league will be fun to watch. Any team not named Kansas can win a football conference title. And depending on how good this new coach of theirs is, maybe that changes in a few years.

Yeah, the money will suck. But as fans, why are we so obsessed with this? And which of those 12 programs is really competing for a Natty anyway?

Might as well embrace it and enjoy it. Just my 2 cents.

Imagine being in a conference where your biggest sports revenue sources are:
- UCF fanbase (directional midmajor)
- Kansas basketball
- BYU’s Morman TV network
- 1 Okla state donor
Same type of observations were made about the SEC in 1933.

You don't have the first clue what you're talking about. The SEC was formed to get away from the weak programs in the SoCon.

Wrong again Sherlock. The travel burden to the 23 conference venues was the reason. I know for a fact that Neyland would not schedule schools that were not on the rail line which is why we did not have series with Auburn or UGA back in those days.

Following the split, President John J. Tigert of the University of Florida released the following statement:
Since in our judgment the time has arrived for a more compact organization for the administration of athletics, it seems wise for a division of the Southern Conference to be made solely on geographical lines. The thirteen institutions in the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee hereby tender their resignations as members of the Southern Conference and organize themselves in the Southeastern Conference… The real reason for this organization is a desire to form a conference of institutions in the same geographical territory.[4]

Wrong again Sherlock. The travel burden to the 23 conference venues was the reason. I know for a fact that Neyland would not schedule schools that were not on the rail line which is why we did not have series with Auburn or UGA back in those days.

Following the split, President John J. Tigert of the University of Florida released the following statement:
Since in our judgment the time has arrived for a more compact organization for the administration of athletics, it seems wise for a division of the Southern Conference to be made solely on geographical lines. The thirteen institutions in the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee hereby tender their resignations as members of the Southern Conference and organize themselves in the Southeastern Conference… The real reason for this organization is a desire to form a conference of institutions in the same geographical territory.[4]

Which was a polite way of saying that the tobacco road programs sucked.

But even under a purely geographic argument, you could not be more wrong about competitive criticisms. The Deep South became a football powerhouse by the mid-20s. To suggest that there is a similarity between the formation of the SEC and the soon-to-be Big XII is absolutely moronic.

I absolutely hate that Texas and OU are joining the SEC. It sucks and nobody can change my mind……

Me too. Oklahoma on the surface is fine, but Texas is Texas. Oklahoma will show up and prove they belong (or will turn into our Nebraska in the Big 10). Texas, on the other hand, forced that conference into near extinction with their favoritism and I have no doubt that they will try and pull every single trick imaginable to sustain the preferential treatment they receive now.

I for one, actually can't wait until they face off with Bama this year. I don't like pulling for Bama, but it's going to be a real eye opener for them to realize just how far behind they are in the college football arms race, and Bama to send that mullet headed QB straight back into the portal when he realizes that it could take time for Texas to rebuild into a powerhouse.

Reactions: peaygolf
Me too. Oklahoma on the surface is fine, but Texas is Texas. Oklahoma will show up and prove they belong (or will turn into our Nebraska in the Big 10). Texas, on the other hand, forced that conference into near extinction with their favoritism and I have no doubt that they will try and pull every single trick imaginable to sustain the preferential treatment they receive now.

I for one, actually can't wait until they face off with Bama this year. I don't like pulling for Bama, but it's going to be a real eye opener for them to realize just how far behind they are in the college football arms race, and Bama to send that mullet headed QB straight back into the portal when he realizes that it could take time for Texas to rebuild into a powerhouse.
Preach it!

I am not worried about Texas getting preferential treatment.

They got it because they were the big fish in small pond. They are entering the ocean. Even disregarding last years flop Texas would be 7th or so in the SEC. The old blood SEC isnt going to give them anything. Arkansas, A&M, and Oklahoma will hang up to keep them down the pecking order.

SEC isnt going to do them any favors in front of Bama or Georgia, or a good LSU, Auburn, UF, or Tennessee. Even when it comes to viewership all the non Vandys outpace most of the Big 12.

They got it because they were the big fish in small pond. They are entering the ocean. Even disregarding last years flop Texas would be 7th or so in the SEC. The old blood SEC isnt going to give them anything. Arkansas, A&M, and Oklahoma will hang up to keep them down the pecking order.

SEC isnt going to do them any favors in front of Bama or Georgia, or a good LSU, Auburn, UF, or Tennessee. Even when it comes to viewership all the non Vandys outpace most of the Big 12.
Once Texas and Oklahoma leave the B12’s ratings get even worse if that’s possible. They will be MWC level

Texas lost to Kansas at home last year. You think they need to play Bama to get a reality check?

Texas is going to have earn everything . Texas is actually probably hoping that they can wait until 2025 before they join so that Sark can get the roster ready. Part of the reason I think they hired him is because he was right in the thick of the best roster in college football everyday for a few years. He knows exactly what it’s going to take and what it’s supposed to look like. Whether he can execute that or not remains to be seen.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
I hope Bama wins and their fans chant "SEC".

Why in the world would you hope for our biggest enemy to win against a team we have played 3 times ever? To glorify a conference that doesn't care about us and sh!ts on us every chance it gets?

Why in the world would you hope for our biggest enemy to win against a team we have played 3 times ever? To glorify a conference that doesn't care about us and sh!ts on us every chance it gets?
Just to rub it in. Texas has a super massive ego they frankly havent earned. Bama has earned theirs. It will be fun watching their fans deal with reality. Maybe even get the media to stop predicting it's their year.

Just to rub it in. Texas has a super massive ego they frankly havent earned. Bama has earned theirs. It will be fun watching their fans deal with reality. Maybe even get the media to stop predicting it's their year.

Rooting for our oldest rival is too high a price to pay for me. If not winning their crappy conference for the last 12 years, the Charlie Strong era, and losing twice to Kansas haven’t humbled them, losing to the best program in college football isn’t going to make a dent.

Reactions: StarRaider
I absolutely hate that Texas and OU are joining the SEC. It sucks and nobody can change my mind……

Agree. SEC doesn’t need those two. They desperately need the SEC. Going to the Big Ten was a bluff.

If you don’t think Texas and OU won’t be annual contenders in the SEC then your foolish

If you don’t think Texas and OU won’t be annual contenders in the SEC then your foolish
Texas has been contenders maybe twice in the last decade in the Big 12. They havent won it in more than a decade. Baylor has as many conference championships as texas, and all more recent than Texas's last.

"They're back" just as much as we are.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back