Texas, 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying'

No, I was bought up and taught how to handle bad situations. Growing up it wasn't unusual for to be out of power for a few days several times during the winter, longest stretch I remember was about 2 weeks and yet nobody froze to death and the cows got fed and milked. I think it was 2006 when the tornado came through Gallatin we were out of power for a week but were prepared and managed without any .gov assistance. It's called being an adult.
My dad was born in 1941... He was born and raised in the quiet town known as Old Hickory, which is not far from where you were born. He graduated from DuPont High School just before it was originally burned down (intentionally). To this day, he is as needy as anyone and reliant upon having power. Sorry, I just tend to think that even old farts like my dad... expect to have, and reasonably depend on having power in the winter.

My dad was born in 1941... He was born and raised in the quiet town known as Old Hickory, which is not far from where you were born. He graduated from DuPont High School just before it was originally burned down (intentionally). To this day, he is as needy as anyone and reliant on having power. Sorry, I just tend to think that even old farts like my dad... expect to have, and reasonably depend on having power in the winter.
No kidding? I went to DuPont.... as did my whole family.... my brother and oldest sister were in school when it burned.... Did he live in the village?

No kidding? I went to DuPont.... as did my whole family.... my brother and oldest sister were in school when it burned.... Did he live in the village?
Yes. He was born and raised on Cleves Street. My dad was class of 1959. My mom was class of 1960. I spent many summers in that neighborhood as a kid in the 80's with my grandmother. I know it very well.

If only we could get the vaccine here at Walgreens instead of one distribution center for the whole county. Morons running a schiffshow.

Yea that’s dumb. Even grocery store pharmacies are doing them here.

Reactions: AM64
The energy company.

Not really different from any other business though. All pretty much use the same model - pay exorbitant salaries to showpiece CEOs, plumb the short term market for every dime possible, and never invest in the future. Wise long term investment in a business would include manufacturing where your market is ... investment in the future rather than plundering the short term with cheap Chinese junk ... ensuring that you actually have a market in the future. Energy companies won't commit funds to long term, capital heavy investments (such as nuclear) for the same reason; they want short term profits ... in a few years it will be somebody else's problem. Nobody in his right mind would commit much to fossil power now even with the thought that electric vehicle commitment will drive unreasonable demand - both for the same reason - anti fossil fuel nuts. Sanity and real leadership are in very short supply these days, but plunder is big business.

Reactions: Weezy

Why should it take regulations and legislation to "force" business to do the right thing? Perhaps the people running the power companies should be subject to and not shielded from damages ... including death of customers. Some quick retribution from pockets and freedom for those managing utilities would get attention much quicker. White collar crime including outright negligence gets a very undeserved pass because it's non violent even though the damage can exceed normal crimes by magnitudes.

Reactions: Weezy and vol66
Not really different from any other business though. All pretty much use the same model - pay exorbitant salaries to showpiece CEOs, plumb the short term market for every dime possible, and never invest in the future. Wise long term investment in a business would include manufacturing where your market is ... investment in the future rather than plundering the short term with cheap Chinese junk ... ensuring that you actually have a market in the future. Energy companies won't commit funds to long term, capital heavy investments (such as nuclear) for the same reason; they want short term profits ... in a few years it will be somebody else's problem. Nobody in his right mind would commit much to fossil power now even with the thought that electric vehicle commitment will drive unreasonable demand - both for the same reason - anti fossil fuel nuts. Sanity and real leadership are in very short supply these days, but plunder is big business.

I see what your saying and I agree with much of it, however it doesn’t excuse them. People are dead, houses ruined, and it’s a man made disaster, blamed on “unusual” weather. That is a crock of you know what. I called it greed, but one could call it negligence if he/she prefers, immoral, whatever turns ya on.

Reactions: OHvol40 and AM64
Why should it take regulations and legislation to "force" business to do the right thing? Perhaps the people running the power companies should be subject to and not shielded from damages ... including death of customers. Some quick retribution from pockets and freedom for those managing utilities would get attention much quicker. White collar crime including outright negligence gets a very undeserved pass because it's non violent even though the damage can exceed normal crimes by magnitudes.
So you want companies to plan for once in a hundred plus year events? That's stupid. So Florida utility companies should be planning for this kind of weather? Should California be preparing for hurricanes?

Reactions: VolnJC

Yep. Beat me to it, we’ll stated.

My dad was born in 1941... He was born and raised in the quiet town known as Old Hickory, which is not far from where you were born. He graduated from DuPont High School just before it was originally burned down (intentionally). To this day, he is as needy as anyone and reliant upon having power. Sorry, I just tend to think that even old farts like my dad... expect to have, and reasonably depend on having power in the winter.

Your dad was born 400 miles from where I'm from and 29 years before me. Yes I do depend on having reliable power year round, just not during the winter. BUT I am prepared for times I do not have power because **** happens.

I see what your saying and I agree with much of it, however it doesn’t excuse them. People are dead, houses ruined, and it’s a man made disaster, blamed on “unusual” weather. That is a crock of you know what. I called it greed, but one could call it negligence if he/she prefers, immoral, whatever turns ya on.

Don't get me wrong, screwing the country over short term profits is greed ... pure and simple. The people driving short term profits have the opportunity to plunder for profit only because this nation gave them the opportunity - all based on the work of those who came before - the people who built nations and markets and industry. What's going on now especially including globalism instead of building and protecting your own country is worse than just greed - there's a whole lot of self righteous stupidity mixed in

Yes. He was born and raised on Cleves Street. My dad was class of 1959. My mom was class of 1960. I spent many summers in that neighborhood as a kid in the 80's with my grandmother. I know it very well.
Well I’ll be..... I guess I need to lighten up on you now that I know your parents are DuPont alums. My grandmother lived on Jones which is the next street over from Cleves. My dad was class of ‘51, mom was ‘53..... aunts, uncles, cousins....a whole lot of my family went there..... was your grandmother an old hickory native as well?

Reactions: Orangeburst
So you want companies to plan for once in a hundred plus year events? That's stupid. So Florida utility companies should be planning for this kind of weather? Should California be preparing for hurricanes?

Nope. If the people of TX are happy with interruptible power during bad weather then, it's not a problem. Otherwise, the utilities should either make that their stated policy or find ways to keep things running at capacity. This really isn't the same as a tornado or a hurricane.

Well I’ll be..... I guess I need to lighten up on you now that I know your parents are DuPont alums. My grandmother lived on Jones which is the next street over from Cleves. My dad was class of ‘51, mom was ‘53..... aunts, uncles, cousins..... was your grandmother an old hickory native as well?
My grandmother had a sister who lived in that next street down from Jones. She also had two sisters who lived next door to each other on Hadley Ave. Do you know where the library was (and it may still be, I haven't been there in over 30 years). I used to go there a lot, and walk down to the community center. My aunt still lives in Brandywine Farms.

Your dad was born 400 miles from where I'm from and 29 years before me. Yes I do depend on having reliable power year round, just not during the winter. BUT I am prepared for times I do not have power because **** happens.
You were born in 1970? Wow. For some reason I got the impression that you were an old fart. My mistake. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong, screwing the country over short term profits is greed ... pure and simple. The people driving short term profits have the opportunity to plunder for profit only because this nation gave them the opportunity - all based on the work of those who came before - the people who built nations and markets and industry. What's going on now especially including globalism instead of building and protecting your own country is worse than just greed - there's a whole lot of self righteous stupidity mixed in

Yeah, why does it have to be one or the other, I don’t think anyone thinks fossil fuels are going away over night, and I certainly don’t think everyone on the planet can live off renewable energy alone. At least in what’s left of my lifetime. In this particular case, one company across every energy platform, natural gas, wind, nuclear, failed it’s customers spectacularly.

My grandmother had a sister who lived in that next street down from Jones. She also had two sisters who lived next door to each other on Hadley Ave. Do you know where the library was (and it may still be, I haven't been there in over 30 years). I used to go there a lot, and walk down to the community center. My aunt still lives in Brandywine Farms.
I know that whole area like the back of my hand. The library is still there, but is probably a lot bigger if you haven’t been there in a long time. That community was incredibly tight knit, back in the day. Most of the kids I went to school with had parents that went DuPont as well. I’m curious about your mom and dad’s last names due to this. It seems like everyone knew everyone in that area up through the late 80’s. When the old timers started dying out the whole area changed.

Well what if a tree that was weighted down by ice snapped and broke the power line or a transformer blew? You gonna sit there and freeze to death? Sounds to me like you need to grow up and start wiping your own behind

It is their own fault for not going to Cancun.

If Michigan doesnt code for hurricane grade roofs for all homes, I'm gonna march up there and let Whitmer know she's a **** person for allowing her people to be exposed.

If only we could get the vaccine here at Walgreens instead of one distribution center for the whole county. Morons running a schiffshow.
Sounds like it. Not much better in my neck of the woods. My medicare provider's weekly emails are still saying "Zero new first doses received this week"...

VN Store

Back