Tess Darby offer story

Yes, about as much as the team NEEDED Kortney Dunbar and Sydney Smallbone back in the day, and Darby has a fraction of their talent. One dimensional shooters aren't difficult to find...
\
100 percent disagree that Darby has a fraction of the talent of Dunbar or Smallbone. Neither of those players had any moves toward the basket they were both stand still three point shooters. Darby certainly has moves towards the basket and quick feet to get in position to shoot her shot. She has a quick release from the moving position and her percentages speak for themselves.

2016 #CoachHemiWorkout - Tess Darby
Strengths
Needs Improvement
Darby is a guard with great length for the position. At 6-feet tall she has the size that most players want as a forward. However, she has ball handling skill and play creating ability that a coach wants from a guard. Impressively she always displayed great instincts on the defensive end. She got her hands in the passing lanes and created turnovers for her team. She will need to improve her left hand, especially in terms of attacking the lane. That will help give her added creativity in making plays on the offensive end.

Last edited:
2020 has a lot of good talent in the state of Tennessee. Not as good as 2018, but still pretty darn good.

Darby is probably 5-6 in the state. Obviously behind M. Hayes, Hunt, and Cardoso. Probably a step behind Waggoner and A. Hayes as well.

If Tennessee recruits the way Kellie would like to, Tess will be good for a few minutes her and there off the bench, take a couple shots, and if she gets in a rhythm, keep her in. If we add some of the G/W we want in 2021 - Rivers, Verhulst, Wolfenbarger, etc. they’ll likely play over Darby. I think she would be a terrific late add, and she may have been the best player available that Kellie could get a late start on after losing out on Hunt, Hayes, etc. and still pickup a quality player.

IMO, in the SEC, if she’s your 1-5 best player, you’re in trouble, if she’s 6-10, your gunna be pretty good.

Reactions: Hangtyme24
Harper doesn't "like" her so much as she's settling for what's left. Regardless of whether Darby or whatever leftovers Harper signs at this point, her first recruiting class has been a colossal failure whether the fans here want to admit it or not...

What is YOUR basis for your comment? I am fearful that you have misunderstood others comments about your analytical skills.... you thought they were calling you psychic, when what they actually said was you frequently demonstrate aggressive psychotic behavior on the boards...an abundance self confidence is not always a good thing....

I will wait till she plays somewhere for a couple of years in college before I assess her abilities and make comparisons to previous players.... especially when our offer was extended this early.... long way to the last signing day and she may have her own self analysis to go through before she signs anywhere based on her desire to be a solid contributor. Good bet she does not have the level of arrogance posters often display....

\
100 percent disagree that Darby has a fraction of the talent of Dunbar or Smallbone. Neither of those players had any moves toward the basket they were both stand still three point shooters. Darby certainly has moves towards the basket and quick feet to get in position to shoot her shot. She has a quick release from the moving position and her percentages speak for themselves.

So have you actually seen her play, besides highlight clips?

Does anyone else want to slam the girl?
If it makes you feel better, step forward and get your shot in.

As for me, and many other fans of the LVs, if she chooses to come here, we welcome her here.

I have seen her play in Tennessee state tournament at MTSU ! If there is anything worth learning about recruiting. Hoopgurlz , Prospect Nation , they don’t have all recruits exactly right ! Example: Alasia Hayes ( third sister) Is not rated in top 100 by Prospect Nation !!!! She just committed to Notre Dame .... I wonder if McGraw cares ? 🤔

Tess Darby has good fundamental skills ! PERIOD.... She will be a good contributor to our team ! That is if she doesn’t read all of the professional recruiters analysis on this forum ! 😁

I have seen her play in Tennessee state tournament at MTSU ! If there is anything worth learning about recruiting. Hoopgurlz , Prospect Nation , they don’t have all recruits exactly right ! Example: Alasia Hayes ( third sister) Is not rated in top 100 by Prospect Nation !!!! She just committed to Notre Dame .... I wonder if McGraw cares ? 🤔

Tess Darby has good fundamental skills ! PERIOD.... She will be a good contributor to our team ! That is if she doesn’t read all of the professional recruiters analysis on this forum ! 😁

So we have the power to scare recruits off? Do we also have the power to get them to sign? And to select coaches?

As I have said before, any recruit who would allow anonymous posters to prevent them from attending a school they love will struggle mentally, no matter where they go.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
So we have the power to scare recruits off? Do we also have the power to get them to sign? And to select coaches?

As I have said before, any recruit who would allow anonymous posters to prevent them from attending a school they love will struggle mentally, no matter where they go.

So what you're saying is, even though you seem to realize that your anonymous comments very well COULD hurt a 16-year-old CHILD enough to sour her on Tennessee, you really don't care. You don't care if you hurt a child because your ADULT sensibilities tell you that the child must be mentally weak.

Oh, okay. I see you.

So what you're saying is, even though you seem to realize that your anonymous comments very well COULD hurt a 16-year-old CHILD enough to sour her on Tennessee, you really don't care. You don't care if you hurt a child because your ADULT sensibilities tell you that the child must be mentally weak.

Oh, okay. I see you.

No that’s not what I’m saying because I haven’t commented on her. What I’m saying is anyone as simple as to believe that just because someone posts on a board that they’re a fan of the school—because no way someone would pose as a fan to give a great school a bad image—will struggle mentally no matter where they go. Said person is extremely naive and lacks critical thinking skills. Easy to fool and deceive.

Reactions: glv98 and Darth_Vol

No a prospect needs to keep in perspective that every fan base has outliers that get their thrills by making negative posts about any topic of their choosing, but that is why it is important for them to see such posts challenged by the more emotionally stable majority who place a greater value on discretion and a lesser value on their ability to prognosticate success OR failure for athletes while still in HS.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
So have you actually seen her play, besides highlight clips?
Not in person yet plan to go up there if she commits to Tennessee as I only live 20 miles from Greenfield. What more do you need than the clips to see that she can stop and pop is not a stand still shooter and has a great handle and quick feet. Her stats say she can shoot the three effectively 39 percent over her career thus far. Since all baskets are 10 feet high no reason to believe that she can't shoot the same percentage anywhere she played. She is not a small person 6'1" tall so she is gonna be able to shoot in any league. The scouting report from Prospect Nation says she is an excellent defender so I'll take their word. I think she is certainly worth a scholarship because we need a three point shooter that isn't a defensive liability. I've seen Dunbar and Smallbone play plenty and I can tell by her film that she is far more skilled as a ball handler and has quicker foot movement than either of them ever had. Both were excellent shooters but neither could play defense and thus didn't get on the court.

She actually reminds me of Danni Williams Texas A&M and Texas guard and if she can play that well welcome to Tennessee.

Last edited:
Well that explains a lot. I bet she never missed a shot!
Not all about watching what she does shooting the ball in those clips it is also her movement before the shot. Why put yourself through the misery of being a Lady Vol fan if you do not trust this coaching staff and their decisions of who they offer scholarships to . I wouldn't want to support any team that I thought wasn't doing their best to find the players they need and had a plan for that player. I lost confidence in Holly because the players were not performing like they should until they left Holly. How many of her players got a lot better in the WNBA. Until I have a reason to think otherwise I trust the decisions of the present coach and staff.

Not in person yet plan to go up there if she commits to Tennessee as I only live 20 miles from Greenfield. What more do you need than the clips to see that she can stop and pop is not a stand still shooter and has a great handle and quick feet. Her stats say she can shoot the three effectively 39 percent over her career thus far. Since all baskets are 10 feet high no reason to believe that she can't shoot the same percentage anywhere she played. She is not a small person 6'1" tall so she is gonna be able to shoot in any league. The scouting report from Prospect Nation says she is an excellent defender so I'll take their word. I think she is certainly worth a scholarship because we need a three point shooter that isn't a defensive liability. I've seen Dunbar and Smallbone play plenty and I can tell by her film that she is far more skilled as a ball handler and has quicker foot movement than either of them ever had. Both were excellent shooters but neither could play defense and thus didn't get on the court.

She actually reminds me of Danni Williams Texas A&M and Texas guard and if she can play that well welcome to Tennessee.

Agree with Danni Williams comparison. I think she has better dribbling skills . JMO

Until I have a reason to think otherwise I trust the decisions of the present coach and staff.

I'm not sure what she has done to make you think she has this amazing eye for talent. She failed at her only other Power 5 job, she's never recruited a High School All-American, never developed an All-American in college, never put a player in the WNBA, never made a deep March run (unless you count one Sweet 16 last year). You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to continue your blind trust in her, but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...

but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...

So far, the LVs are the only SEC team that has offered Tess Darby but she has offers from Texas Tech, U of Illinois, Georgia Tech (Nell Fortner is new HC), West Virginia, and the list is expanding. Those schools represents the Big 10, Big 12, and ACC, which are all legit power conferences. On the downside, none of those programs have been successdful in recent years.

Reactions: glv98 and GameTime
To the Darby Family.....

Please pay no attention to some of the posters that post here and have spoken negatively about your daughter.....They think they are the "end all" when it comes to evaluating female basketball players, and the coaches that coach them....Let me categorically state, for Lady Vol Nation, they aren't what they think they are.

These people are nothing more than dream stealers.....They would like nothing more than to drive off your daughter from becoming a Lady Vol, so they can feel like their life has more meaning...

It appears they are never happy, unless they are taking the smile off of someone's face, which brings them much delight...

I'm not sure what she has done to make you think she has this amazing eye for talent. She failed at her only other Power 5 job, she's never recruited a High School All-American, never developed an All-American in college, never put a player in the WNBA, never made a deep March run (unless you count one Sweet 16 last year). You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to continue your blind trust in her, but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...
The staff has my trust don't really care what you think so let's move on you keep being negative. She has the benefit of the doubt with me and I think with the majority of fans. I like Kellie and I like Darby and your childish BS not ever gonna change that.

To the Darby Family.....

Please pay no attention to some of the posters that post here and have spoken negatively about your daughter.....They think they are the "end all" when it comes to evaluating female basketball players, and the coaches that coach them....Let me categorically state, for Lady Vol Nation, they aren't what they think they are.

These people are nothing more than dream stealers.....They would like nothing more than to drive off your daughter from becoming a Lady Vol, so they can feel like their life has more meaning...

It appears they are never happy, unless they are taking the smile off of someone's face, which brings them much delight...

I totally agree with your sentiment but let's also remember that most posters on this thread are very much "Yeah,, Tess become a LV" and only a few are carping negativity.

I don't understand the rush to judgment. With any recruit, there is a chance that things may not click. Sade Wiley Gatewood, back in the day, was supposed to be the PG to take us to a national championship but bad knees and bad attitude popped that dream balloon.

When the LVs announced the signing of Shannon Bobbitt, there was (On the SummiTT), a few who carped about her being 5-1 guard who got passed over by all the D1 programs. They huffed about she would never make it at this level and the LVs were going to squander the talents of CP3.

As it turned out, the negavols were wrong as could be but they, if I recall correctly, weren't seen again.

That is the beauty of predicting failure - if you are right, you can taunt and brag and I told you so, till you pass out from hyperventilation. If you are wrong, you just lay low.

The program is at an all time low point and has gone from battling for top 10 recruits nationally to marginal top 10 in the state. I deal in reality, something I wouldn't understand someone who thinks he will be on the LV coaching staff one day to understand...

So, the reality is that having a top 3 national recruit Freshman (Horston); an All-American candidate (Davis) and potentially another in Zaay Green; and highly ranked recruits like Massengill, KK, and Burrell in the mix plus some quality JUCOs, and some really positive energy from coming a new coach hire; that situation is an all-time low?

If so, well that is a fairly promising all-time low.

I did not expect Coach Harper to light up the recruiting world this year. She and her staff have had to build new connections and networks and the blue chippera who are getting signed have been recruited for years by established coaches. A new coach, with admittedly some question marks, is not going to turn the head of top ten recruits just because she has a Pat Summitt vibe.

Kellie did well to keep current signings in the fold. (And yes, it would have been more ideal if she had been to keep Westbrook and Collins. But, Westbrook was clearly done with Tennessee and Collins was "all in" for Holly so there is that).

But, I agree this year is crucial. The LVs need to be a much improved team; back in the Sweet 16 (bare minimum). If they are an SEC title contender and a Sweet 16 team, Kellie should be able make some serious in-roads on top flight recruiting.

Last edited:
So, the reality is that having a top 3 national recruit Freshman (Horston); an All-American candidate (Davis) and potentially another in Zaay Green; and highly ranked recruits like Massengill, KK, and Burrell in the mix plus some quality JUCOs, and some really positive energy from coming a new coach hire; that situation is an all-time low?

If so, well that is a fairly promising low.

No, the reality is you're talking about the majority of a roster that had a losing SEC record, won 19 games, lost in the NCAA first round, and lost its best player to their most hated rival.

We HOPE Harper (and newcomers) will make them significantly better, but that remains to be seen. The other reality is her last stint at this level didn't go so well...

Last edited:
To the Darby Family.....

You are so correct I have noticed a darkness in this Forum. I thought maybe some of the members were actually fans of other schools and are on this site to create discord. If this young lady responded to an offer from us we should be happy and honored. I have seen post after post slighting the young people that we asked to play for us. I understand that expectations are high and we have not performed as well as our history would lead one to expect. However these are young adults with a desire to play for UT if that is not enough to treat them with the respect they deserve, what is?

VN Store

Back