Tess Darby offer story

The criticism that this player is the "best that Kellie could do at this late stage" is objectively true but I don't see this as a negative. It was a function of her hire date, that she and her staff were late to the recruiting battles. The blue chip players who have signed have likely been recruiting for years by their respective programs of choice.

My assumption, however, is that CKJH would not sign a player just for the sake of making a signing. Darby may be one of those players who has flown under the radar and has a big upside. Recall Sydney Spencer back in the day.

The criticism that this player is the "best that Kellie could do at this late stage" is objectively true but I don't see this as a negative. It was a function of her hire date, that she and her staff were late to the recruiting battles. The blue chip players who have signed have likely been recruiting for years by their respective programs of choice.

My assumption, however, is that CKJH would not sign a player just for the sake of making a signing. Darby may be one of those players who has flown under the radar and has a big upside. Recall Sydney Spencer back in the day.

Sidney (not Sydney) was really not under the radar. I don’t think it is a fair comparison to Darby.

From her Wikipedia Bio - Spencer received the 2003 Alabama Miss Basketball award. A product of Hoover, Alabama. Sidney joined the Lady Vols after an award-laden prep career. She was nicknamed the "Big Show" by her teammates and friends and was selected as a 2003 Adidas All-American. She was also honored as 2003 "Miss Basketball" by the Alabama Sports Writers Association (ASWA). Sidney was chosen as the ASWA 6A Player of the Year in 2003 for the second-consecutive season. Also selected as the Gatorade Alabama Player of the Year her senior year. She was named all-state in 2002 and 2003. Member of the state's Final Four All-Tournament Team in '03. Earned Most Valuable Player Honors in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Basketball Game following her 17-point, 14-rebound effort. She got picked as the No. 1 Super Senior by the Birmingham News. Led Hoover to a 32–3 mark en route to a state runner-up finish her senior season. She was recognized by Street and Smith's Magazine as an honorable mention All-American in 2002. Also recipient of player of the year awards from the Birmingham News, Birmingham Post-Herald and Over-The-Mountain following the '02 season. Was named state finals most valuable player as a sophomore after leading her team to a 32–3 record and a state championship. Also during the highly successful 2001 campaign, she was named to the state finals all-tournament team, the Northeast Regional All-Tournament team and the Birmingham News 6A All-Metro team. She concluded her high school career by establishing Hoover H.S. records with 1,743 points, 1,098 rebounds and 30

Reactions: mcannon1
I know nothing of this girl, but if she can shoot the 3 really well, then maybe worth an offer. Think NBA: A number of teams have 3 point shooters that probably never will be starters,
and not even make some rosters otherwise, but they play in games because they can score from afar.

I know nothing of this girl, but if she can shoot the 3 really well, then maybe worth an offer. Think NBA: A number of teams have 3 point shooters that probably never will be starters,
and not even make some rosters otherwise, but they play in games because they can score from afar.
Be careful. Evidently, if you don't think every recruit will be the next C.P., you'll be described as a negative poster.

Be careful. Evidently, if you don't think every recruit will be the next C.P., you'll be described as a negative poster.

I think it’s more a matter of whether or not it’s appropriate for adults to go on a public forum to casually crap all over a young girl’s lifelong dream by saying she’s not worthy of it. Are people really THAT stupid to not think that a girl like that, with a family like that (totally giddy LV fans), wouldn't be excitedly reading this board and others to see all the reactions to her fantastic news?

You couldn’t at least wait until the tears of joy that were streaming down her face were dry before throwing the first “I’m just honest” punch in the gut to wipe the smiles off a very sweet teenage girl?

Think, people! Sheesh.

I think it’s more a matter of whether or not it’s appropriate for adults to go on a public forum to casually crap all over a young girl’s lifelong dream by saying she’s not worthy of it. Are people really THAT stupid to not think that a girl like that, with a family like that (totally giddy LV fans), wouldn't be excitedly reading this board and others to see all the reactions to her fantastic news?

You couldn’t at least wait until the tears of joy that were streaming down her face were dry before throwing the first “I’m just honest” punch in the gut to wipe the smiles off a very sweet teenage girl?

Think, people! Sheesh.
That's a fine example of Hyperbole.
While Darth's post might be described as crass, no one said she shouldn't become a LV. I'm pretty sure that Tess' thinking on how she fits in as a LV is a lot less delusional than some of our posters. She may be able to add a lot to the team without being a starting player. I never stated anything else.
Two questions, if I may.
I'm just asking for your opinion. 1) Do you think, at any point during her time here at Tennessee, that she'll be a regular starter ?
2) Does a division 1 wcbb coach ever recruit a player with plans to use her in a capacity other than as a starter ?

While Darth's post might be described as crass, no one said she shouldn't become a LV. I'm pretty sure that Tess' thinking on how she fits in as a LV is a lot less delusional than some of our posters. She may be able to add a lot to the team without being a starting player. I never stated anything else.
Two questions, if I may.
I'm just asking for your opinion. 1) Do you think, at any point during her time here at Tennessee, that she'll be a regular starter ?
2) Does a division 1 wcbb coach ever recruit a player with plans to use her in a capacity other than as a starter ?
Darby would be a warm body at Tennessee, nothing more... according to Darth! I would have predicted hell froze over before I ever imagined any of those players would be offered a scholarship by Tennessee... again Darth!

Darby would be a warm body at Tennessee, nothing more... according to Darth!
I said his post could be described as crass.
Did he say she shouldn't come here at all ?
Look, I get it. You think there should be nothing but positive posts regarding LV players, coaches and administrators.
(Well, maybe not admins !)
Darth's post was not complementary. Amb's post and mine were benign from where I sit.
I didn't say she shouldn't come here and I didn't say she couldn't contribute. Not every player is going to start. If you think otherwise, you're sadly mistaken.

Last edited:
What you all fail to realize and understand is that Tennessee NEEDS a Tess Darby. How many times did teams pack in a 2-3 zone in the Warlick era and dare us to shoot the ball, and we did.... and got beat by 20... Tess shot over 35% from 3 on the Nike EYBL circuit with one of the top travel programs in the country. This kid WILL get playing time at Tennessee.

I said his post could be described as crass.
Did he say she shouldn't come here at all ?
Look, I get it. You think there should be nothing put positive posts regarding LV players, coaches and administrators.
(Well, maybe not admins !)
Darth's post was not complementary. Amb's post and mine were benign from where I sit.
I didn't say she shouldn't come here and I didn't say she couldn't contribute. Not every player is going to start. If you think otherwise, you're sadly mistaken.
I have coached more basketball than you have seen most likely and I never said every player will start. No one is looking for praise for the players new or coming in but to constantly beat them down is just wrong! We all have had dreams some comes true and some don't. Let the youngsters enjoy their day without hate!

Two questions, if I may.

1) At what point did I say that I thought she'd he a regular starter? Exactly never.
2) Of course. But you are missing the point entirely if you don't try, even just a little, to read your own posts through the lens of a 16- to 17-year-old girl who has just heard perhaps the most exciting news of her life and then, perhaps, anxiously came to message boards over the coming hours and days to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

I was married to a child psychologist for 24 years, and minored in psychology myself, and let me tell you, adults can be extremely insensitive to what a moment like "the offer" could mean to the psyche of a teen-aged girl. Too many are so insensitive that they can't even give them a few days to enjoy it before chiming in to remind everyone that the offer was "a desperation offer," or "she's not the level of player we're used to seeing" or "she'll sit at the end of the bench," or ANYthing that would instantly deflate her heart at the very height of its joy.

Before posting all your critiques of teenagers, I implore everyone, before pressing "post reply," to try reading it AS a 16-year-old girl who may feel really hurt by it if she read it. Unfortunately, many teen girls (and boys) internalize hurtful comments by strange adults and it severely hampers their confidence. And remember, what may seem like an innocuous comment to an ADULT with much life experience, it might be deflating to an impressionable teen. Not ALL teens react this way, of course, but I know from experience that it happens often enough to make me think that adults should be a lot more careful about what kind of potentially damaging things they say about total strangers in their teens on message boards.

Perhaps all you "just gotta tell the truth as I see it" grown-ups could have just waited a couple of weeks before sticking the pin in the balloon of a child's psyche. That's all.

Last edited:
P.S. Now, adults? Yeah, I am 100% behind telling the truth as we see it about all the adults in charge of the athletic programs at UT. They are older, more experienced, and are getting paid lots of money to do their jobs. They are fair game and they need to be held accountable at every level. :D

Reactions: Smallvol#1
1) At what point did I say that I thought she'd he a regular starter? Exactly never.
2) Of course. But you are missing the point entirely if you don't try, even just a little, to read your own posts through the lens of a 16- to 17-year-old girl who has just heard perhaps the most exciting news of her life and then, perhaps, anxiously came to message boards over the coming hours and days to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

I was married to a child psychologist for 24 years, and minored in psychology myself, and let me tell you, adults can be extremely insensitive to what a moment like "the offer" could mean to the psyche of a teen-aged girl. Too many are so insensitive that they can't even give them a few days to enjoy it before chiming in to remind everyone that the offer was "a desperation offer," or "she's not the level of player we're used to seeing" or "she'll sit at the end of the bench," or ANYthing that would instantly deflate her heart at the very height of its joy.

Before posting all your critiques of teenagers, I implore everyone, before pressing "post reply," to try reading it AS a 16-year-old girl who may feel really hurt by it if she read it. Unfortunately, many teen girls (and boys) internalize hurtful comments by strange adults and it severely hampers their confidence. And remember, what may seem like an innocuous comment to an ADULT with much life experience, it might be deflating to an impressionable teen. Not ALL teens react this way, of course, but I know from experience that it happens often enough to make me think that adults should be a lot more careful about what kind of potentially damaging things they say about total strangers in their teens on message boards.

Perhaps all you "just gotta tell the truth as I see it" grown-ups could have just waited a couple of weeks before sticking the pin in the balloon of a child's psyche. That's all.
I never stated, implied or intimated that you said that Tess was going to be a starter. I simply asked for your opinion. Why you would start your post with that question is baffling. It seems to me, by your 2 responses to my questions, that you agree with my analysis. But, you don't think it was appropriate for me to post it here. Ok, I get that.
A couple of more questions.
Again, I'm only asking for an opinion.
1) Do you think the subject of playing time will be among the primary considerations when Tess contemplates our offer ?
2) If you were Tess' parent, what would you tell her about her prospects for playing time at Tennessee, if she asked you about it ?
I CAN tell you what I told my oldest son who was in a similar position as to college choices.

"You should go where you most want to go. If that means increased competition for playing time, so be it. It will mean that you will have to work that much harder to prove yourself. But, just do your best, let the chips fall where they may, and know that I will be proud of you regardless of the outcome".
He was on the bench for two years and then had a kneecap injury which ended his collegiate basketball career.
Outside of the injury, he didn't regret a thing

I never stated, implied or intimated that you said that Tess was going to be a starter. I simply asked for your opinion. Why you would start your post with that question is baffling. It seems to me, by your 2 responses to my questions, that you agree with my analysis. But, you don't think it was appropriate for me to post it here. Ok, I get that.
A couple of more questions.
Again, I'm only asking for an opinion.
1) Do you think the subject of playing time will be among the primary considerations when Tess contemplates our offer ?
2) If you were Tess' parent, what would you tell her about her prospects for playing time at Tennessee, if she asked you about it ?
I CAN tell you what I told my oldest son who was in a similar position as to college choices.

"You should go where you most want to go. If that means increased competition for playing time, so be it. It will mean that you will have to work that much harder to prove yourself. But, just do your best, let the chips fall where they may, and know that I will be proud of you regardless of the outcome".
He was on the bench for two years and then had a kneecap injury which ended his collegiate basketball career.
Outside of the injury, he didn't regret a thing

You know what? She hasn't even signed to play for Kellie much less practiced one minute or even tried on a uniform. So how in the world can I form an opinion strong enough to post publicly about someone I've only seen in a single video... someone I know nothing about personally as to how she may develop once at UT??? I can't. And neither should you, IMO.

What you seem to want from me is for me to state a firm opinion about something that I have too little information to go on. That feels extremely irresponsible to me, and I don't work that way.

Also, you, a total stranger to the Darbys, seem to presume too much about what Tess and her family may or may not be thinking or discussing. You are making assumptions about what she might want based upon what you and your son discussed and, again, that feels irresponsible to me.

My entire point -- which, somehow, you continue to miss -- is that it's irrelevant whether your opinions about Darby's abilities are accurate or not at this point in time. There's a time and a place to dish out your wise counsel, and the moments and days after what was an obvious lifelong dream moment WASN'T IT.

But hey. You be you, man.

You know what? She hasn't even signed to play for Kellie much less practiced one minute or even tried on a uniform. So how in the world can I form an opinion strong enough to post publicly about someone I've only seen in a single video... someone I know nothing about personally as to how she may develop once at UT??? I can't. And neither should you, IMO.

What you seem to want from me is for me to state a firm opinion about something that I have too little information to go on. That feels extremely irresponsible to me, and I don't work that way.

Also, you, a total stranger to the Darbys, seem to presume too much about what Tess and her family may or may not be thinking or discussing. You are making assumptions about what she might want based upon what you and your son discussed and, again, that feels irresponsible to me.

My entire point -- which, somehow, you continue to miss -- is that it's irrelevant whether your opinions about Darby's abilities are accurate or not at this point in time. There's a time and a place to dish out your wise counsel, and the moments and days after what was an obvious lifelong dream moment WASN'T IT.

But hey. You be you, man.

Though you have continually accused me of statements that I never made, I'll put this as politely as possible.
Please read my posts again. I didn't make any assumptions about what Tess might want. I only provided the thought process between myself and my son.
I'll post this part again.
I get it. You don't think I should have posted my opinion. (Though you seem to agree with that opinion).
Finally, I never said she shouldn't come here. I never said she wouldn't start (I can provide you with my opinion if you want it) and I never said that she couldn't be a positive contributor to the LV's.
You go girl.

I have coached more basketball than you have seen most likely and I never said every player will start. No one is looking for praise for the players new or coming in but to constantly beat them down is just wrong! We all have had dreams some comes true and some don't. Let the youngsters enjoy their day without hate!

If given only one characteristic or trait,,Give me kid with heart ,,
and I will whip the kid with height, skill or athleticism,..Because heart will outwork all of them

Though you have continually accused me of statements that I never made, I'll put this as politely as possible.
Please read my posts again. I didn't make any assumptions about what Tess might want. I only provided the thought process between myself and my son.
I'll post this part again.
I get it. You don't think I should have posted my opinion. (Though you seem to agree with that opinion).
Finally, I never said she shouldn't come here. I never said she wouldn't start (I can provide you with my opinion if you want it) and I never said that she couldn't be a positive contributor to the LV's.
You go girl.

You are assuming my posts were directed solely at you, and they were not. I included partial quotes from others’ post to make that clear, but you must have overlooked that part.

But people should try to understand — not just you, but ALL adult internet opinion-slingers, myself included — that there’s always risk in posting comments that a sensitive teen-ager could read and then internalize in a harmful way. It was a matter of random timing thing that I happened to be on YOUR post when I decided to finally post my feelings after reading way too many posts by many posters that I found to be potentially hurtful if the subject happened to be a sensitive teen-ager.

I am not picking on you. I am merely making educated observations about how what ADULTS think are mild comments may actually be perceived quite differently by a teen-ager — and more likely still if that teen-ager is female. But that’s opening up another whole can of worms, isn’t it?

Peace, brother. I’m looking forward to a fun season, and I suspect you are, too.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
You are assuming my posts were directed solely at you, and they were not. I included partial quotes from others’ post to make that clear, but you must have overlooked that part.

But people should try to understand — not just you, but ALL adult internet opinion-slingers, myself included — that there’s always risk in posting comments that a sensitive teen-ager could read and then internalize in a harmful way. It was a matter of random timing thing that I happened to be on YOUR post when I decided to finally post my feelings after reading way too many posts by many posters that I found to be potentially hurtful if the subject happened to be a sensitive teen-ager.

I am not picking on you. I am merely making educated observations about how what ADULTS think are mild comments may actually be perceived quite differently by a teen-ager — and more likely still if that teen-ager is female. But that’s opening up another whole can of worms, isn’t it?
Peace, brother. I’m looking forward to a fun season, and I suspect you are, too.
I haven't overlooked anything.
Twice, in your responses to my posts, you attributed statements to me that I never made.
I have two daughters also so that's not opening a can of worms for me.

What you all fail to realize and understand is that Tennessee NEEDS a Tess Darby.

Yes, about as much as the team NEEDED Kortney Dunbar and Sydney Smallbone back in the day, and Darby has a fraction of their talent. One dimensional shooters aren't difficult to find...

45E35C1C-5F2E-4027-ABCB-EC8A68EB77AC.jpeg

Think, people! Sheesh.

Agree, lvocd

When I started posting here, I was very tough on Coach Warlick because she was an adult and as a coach, I considered her a colleague...But at no time do I, or will I (knowingly) attack a player. Or their dream.

The players are a product of the coach, once under their coaching they have to bring as much of their game as they are allowed and they also tailor their game to the coaching. Some coaches will tailor their offense around a great player, but for the most part, once a coach reaches a consistent measure of success, they stay with what works until they have to conform to a new rule or style. And if the want or need a "particular type of player (shooter, baseline player, hi-post, etc) they will take a player strictly based on fit.

A perfect example of this was Diamond Desheilds,,under college Warlick, never consistently great,,,,under pro coaching, a USA Olympic consideration...

another example brought up by someone earlier is Kortney Dunbar:

Yes, about as much as the team NEEDED Kortney Dunbar and Sydney Smallbone back in the day, and Darby has a fraction of their talent. One dimensional shooters aren't difficult to find...

If this CHW had used KD to her strengths, she would have launched 3's by the tune of 6-7 a game in a perfect hi-lo player-situation and she should have defended against PF's in the low post (Kortney didn't have the footspeed to keep up with opposing guards but she had enough size, a ton of heart and no fear in defending other team's toughs).
Kortney was a great shooter that was only used as an "emergency brake". Every time she went in it was either a 3 needed to give us a chance to win or when the game was thoroughly decided). As a player, you would think those two environments would be exciting(game-sinning shot), or, easy (easy playing time)...but the opposite is true....One shot or series of shots, with no pre in-that-game barrometer is mind-numbing and going in for garbage time and trying to "show the coach" you deserve more PT,,,,is like showing a weightlifting coach you can lift a gym bag.

Sydney Smallbone ... I remember the name.......

What you all fail to realize and understand is that Tennessee NEEDS a Tess Darby. How many times did teams pack in a 2-3 zone in the Warlick era and dare us to shoot the ball, and we did.... and got beat by 20... Tess shot over 35% from 3 on the Nike EYBL circuit with one of the top travel programs in the country. This kid WILL get playing time at Tennessee.

We had many three point shooters. But we also has a coach who didn't seem to think the 3 was a weapon and would publicly call 3's and missed shots as,, bad shots.

YOU shoot your best shot, with that type of environment!

Darby looks athletic to me has a really good handle and can shoot it. She has some really terrific moves around the basket. Also has some quickness and at least five division one offers. She is not small 6'1" has the size to play in any league. She took a huge jump in improvement over the summer and was just named one of the four top players at a training clinic in Nashville. The point being players improve they get better and nothing about her basketball skills that says she can't play and play very well in the SEC.

krossover

Last edited:
the "radar" for identifying talent that will continue to increase is usually summer teams - ages 13-14. for 2020 the players are just beginning their last season of high school. I don't find it unusual that there will be players at 15-16 who at that age were good but not skilled enough for ...

Similarly, there are players who are the most athletic at age 15-16 but never sufficiently improve during their career in college.

Summary, I am not competent to be more that a LV fan.

VN Store

Back