Tess Darby offer story

GameTime

To the Darby Family.....

Please pay no attention to some of the posters that post here and have spoken negatively about your daughter.....They think they are the "end all" when it comes to evaluating female basketball players, and the coaches that coach them....Let me categorically state, for Lady Vol Nation, they aren't what they think they are.

These people are nothing more than dream stealers.....They would like nothing more than to drive off your daughter from becoming a Lady Vol, so they can feel like their life has more meaning...

It appears they are never happy, unless they are taking the smile off of someone's face, which brings them much delight...

Volfan2012

I'm not sure what she has done to make you think she has this amazing eye for talent. She failed at her only other Power 5 job, she's never recruited a High School All-American, never developed an All-American in college, never put a player in the WNBA, never made a deep March run (unless you count one Sweet 16 last year). You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to continue your blind trust in her, but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...
The staff has my trust don't really care what you think so let's move on you keep being negative. She has the benefit of the doubt with me and I think with the majority of fans. I like Kellie and I like Darby and your childish BS not ever gonna change that.

madtownvol

To the Darby Family.....

Please pay no attention to some of the posters that post here and have spoken negatively about your daughter.....They think they are the "end all" when it comes to evaluating female basketball players, and the coaches that coach them....Let me categorically state, for Lady Vol Nation, they aren't what they think they are.

These people are nothing more than dream stealers.....They would like nothing more than to drive off your daughter from becoming a Lady Vol, so they can feel like their life has more meaning...

It appears they are never happy, unless they are taking the smile off of someone's face, which brings them much delight...
I totally agree with your sentiment but let's also remember that most posters on this thread are very much "Yeah,, Tess become a LV" and only a few are carping negativity.

I don't understand the rush to judgment. With any recruit, there is a chance that things may not click. Sade Wiley Gatewood, back in the day, was supposed to be the PG to take us to a national championship but bad knees and bad attitude popped that dream balloon.

When the LVs announced the signing of Shannon Bobbitt, there was (On the SummiTT), a few who carped about her being 5-1 guard who got passed over by all the D1 programs. They huffed about she would never make it at this level and the LVs were going to squander the talents of CP3.

As it turned out, the negavols were wrong as could be but they, if I recall correctly, weren't seen again.

That is the beauty of predicting failure - if you are right, you can taunt and brag and I told you so, till you pass out from hyperventilation. If you are wrong, you just lay low.

madtownvol

The program is at an all time low point and has gone from battling for top 10 recruits nationally to marginal top 10 in the state. I deal in reality, something I wouldn't understand someone who thinks he will be on the LV coaching staff one day to understand...
So, the reality is that having a top 3 national recruit Freshman (Horston); an All-American candidate (Davis) and potentially another in Zaay Green; and highly ranked recruits like Massengill, KK, and Burrell in the mix plus some quality JUCOs, and some really positive energy from coming a new coach hire; that situation is an all-time low?

If so, well that is a fairly promising all-time low.

I did not expect Coach Harper to light up the recruiting world this year. She and her staff have had to build new connections and networks and the blue chippera who are getting signed have been recruited for years by established coaches. A new coach, with admittedly some question marks, is not going to turn the head of top ten recruits just because she has a Pat Summitt vibe.

Kellie did well to keep current signings in the fold. (And yes, it would have been more ideal if she had been to keep Westbrook and Collins. But, Westbrook was clearly done with Tennessee and Collins was "all in" for Holly so there is that).

But, I agree this year is crucial. The LVs need to be a much improved team; back in the Sweet 16 (bare minimum). If they are an SEC title contender and a Sweet 16 team, Kellie should be able make some serious in-roads on top flight recruiting.

Last edited:

Darth_Vol

So, the reality is that having a top 3 national recruit Freshman (Horston); an All-American candidate (Davis) and potentially another in Zaay Green; and highly ranked recruits like Massengill, KK, and Burrell in the mix plus some quality JUCOs, and some really positive energy from coming a new coach hire; that situation is an all-time low?

If so, well that is a fairly promising low.
No, the reality is you're talking about the majority of a roster that had a losing SEC record, won 19 games, lost in the NCAA first round, and lost its best player to their most hated rival.

We HOPE Harper (and newcomers) will make them significantly better, but that remains to be seen. The other reality is her last stint at this level didn't go so well...

Last edited:

Twinsbornoncampus

To the Darby Family.....

You are so correct I have noticed a darkness in this Forum. I thought maybe some of the members were actually fans of other schools and are on this site to create discord. If this young lady responded to an offer from us we should be happy and honored. I have seen post after post slighting the young people that we asked to play for us. I understand that expectations are high and we have not performed as well as our history would lead one to expect. However these are young adults with a desire to play for UT if that is not enough to treat them with the respect they deserve, what is?

Memvol44

No, the reality is you're talking about the majority of a roster that had a losing SEC record, won 19 games, lost in the NCAA first round, and lost its best player to their most hated rival.

We HOPE Harper (and newcomers) will make them significantly better, but that remains to be seen. The other reality is her last stint at this level didn't go so well...
Would you please let Kellie have her opportunity and leave the past what it is. the past!!!

PRG

You are so correct I have noticed a darkness in this Forum. I thought maybe some of the members were actually fans of other schools and are on this site to create discord. If this young lady responded to an offer from us we should be happy and honored. I have seen post after post slighting the young people that we asked to play for us. I understand that expectations are high and we have not performed as well as our history would lead one to expect. However these are young adults with a desire to play for UT if that is not enough to treat them with the respect they deserve, what is?
You are right about OTHER SCHOOLS having trolls looking here to see what’s going on at UT! Some identity themselves, like a couple of South Carolina fans. But others (Especially UConn fans ) hide and try and get some here to lose their cool ! But most of the regulars know them and just ignore....
Just look at any good positive post that has a lot of likes..... The Negative haters will never give a like ! And look at the negative haters post and their followers will like .... Now you know how to find them ! 😈

lvocd

Anyone else get the feeling that when Dirge_Vol dies someday, that he’s the kind of guy whose funeral nobody will show up to??? It’ll be a him in the room, the funeral home chaplain making up a few awkward words to say, and a couple of funeral directors standing in the back waiting to haul his dead azz out to the hole. That even his mother will skip it, saying, “I was there when that ay-hole came INTO this world. That was enough!”??

Darth is the kind of guy who gets described as “toxic” because every relationship he touches turns to sh!t. Dunce_Vol’s incessant negativity likely makes him the least liked person in any room he enters because he’s known for sucking the joy out of every situation.

I recommend everyone put the infected, pus-filled boil of a man on IGNORE.

Have a nice day! :D

Last edited:

mytenn

All Sports Programs should want some in-state representation, and most probably do; however, if in the LV's current dilemma the offering a girl who seems to be up & coming, offered by the other Power 5 conference teams, can shoot 3's, & who cries once offered because she has dreamed of playing here, is not a good thing, what is? You won't have to worry about this girl buying in, & probably leading by example through her efforts once here.

Memvol44

I'm not sure what she has done to make you think she has this amazing eye for talent. She failed at her only other Power 5 job, she's never recruited a High School All-American, never developed an All-American in college, never put a player in the WNBA, never made a deep March run (unless you count one Sweet 16 last year). You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to continue your blind trust in her, but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...
Why are you a Lady Vol fan??

Memvol44

FrozenLVFan

Not all about watching what she does shooting the ball in those clips it is also her movement before the shot. Why put yourself through the misery of being a Lady Vol fan if you do not trust this coaching staff and their decisions of who they offer scholarships to . I wouldn't want to support any team that I thought wasn't doing their best to find the players they need and had a plan for that player. I lost confidence in Holly because the players were not performing like they should until they left Holly. How many of her players got a lot better in the WNBA. Until I have a reason to think otherwise I trust the decisions of the present coach and staff.
I too am not happy with CHW's performance, but to judge her or any college coach because their players improved after graduation is disingenuous. Griner, Taurasi, Collier, Tolliver and every other player in the W are better than they were in college. Are Kim, Geno, Brenda, and everyone else all bad college coaches? If players weren't able to improve, they wouldn't stay in the WNBA for long.

I too am not happy with CHW's performance, but to judge her or any college coach because their players improved after graduation is disingenuous. Griner, Taurasi, Collier, Tolliver and every other player in the W are better than they were in college. Are Kim, Geno, Brenda, and everyone else all bad college coaches? If players weren't able to improve, they wouldn't stay in the WNBA for long.

I judge a person's professionalism by every facet when it comes to something I do...Just as I judge my own self.
I am a coach.
Not just by proxy, I chose it and it chose me.
When I look at CHW's body of work as a head-coach ,,,
I look at advancement of :
the program
the players
and gamesmanship

The program went backwards
the players did not advance while here
and she still ended the year with timeouts in her pocket,,,runs notwithstanding

Kim, Geno, Brenda and everyone else has their own "Coach Jumper"
I just happened to be Holly's

Volfan2012

Ours didn't improve they turned into totally different players. All the players you mentioned were also tremendous in college a lot of Holly's players never did much of anything until they got to the WNBA.

Darth_Vol

Why are you a Lady Vol fan???
This is really going to blow your mind, but you can be a fan of a program and still have serious concerns about the direction it's heading.

The cult-like "everything is awesome" thinking that has ruined other Tennessee forums has sadly started to permeate here. Having an independent thought can be a good thing and can, stay with me here, actually make forums like this better and more interesting. Try it sometime. If that isn't your thing, I can recommend a place...

This is really going to blow your mind, but you can be a fan of a program and still have serious concerns about the direction it's heading.

The cult-like "everything is awesome" thinking that has ruined other Tennessee forums has sadly started to permeate here. Having an independent thought can be a good thing and can, stay with me here, actually make forums like this better and more interesting. Try it sometime. If that isn't your thing, I can recommend a place...

Leggo my Ego

VN Store

Sponsors