Tess Darby offer story

My criticism of Darby is strictly on the court, not as a person. I don't know her personally, but if she is fragile enough to fall apart over comments on a message board then she definitely shouldn't come to a high profile program like Tennessee. This is really about butt-hurt fans who need to go back to their safe spaces if they're going to cry about basketball-related criticism on a basketball message board...
Yes...She can ignore this board and comments,
just like you are doing Darth

River67

The criticism that this player is the "best that Kellie could do at this late stage" is objectively true but I don't see this as a negative. It was a function of her hire date, that she and her staff were late to the recruiting battles. The blue chip players who have signed have likely been recruiting for years by their respective programs of choice.

My assumption, however, is that CKJH would not sign a player just for the sake of making a signing. Darby may be one of those players who has flown under the radar and has a big upside. Recall Sydney Spencer back in the day.
45E35C1C-5F2E-4027-ABCB-EC8A68EB77AC.jpeg

I think it’s more a matter of whether or not it’s appropriate for adults to go on a public forum to casually crap all over a young girl’s lifelong dream by saying she’s not worthy of it. Are people really THAT stupid to not think that a girl like that, with a family like that (totally giddy LV fans), wouldn't be excitedly reading this board and others to see all the reactions to her fantastic news?

You couldn’t at least wait until the tears of joy that were streaming down her face were dry before throwing the first “I’m just honest” punch in the gut to wipe the smiles off a very sweet teenage girl?

Think, people! Sheesh.
Agree, lvocd

When I started posting here, I was very tough on Coach Warlick because she was an adult and as a coach, I considered her a colleague...But at no time do I, or will I (knowingly) attack a player. Or their dream.

The players are a product of the coach, once under their coaching they have to bring as much of their game as they are allowed and they also tailor their game to the coaching. Some coaches will tailor their offense around a great player, but for the most part, once a coach reaches a consistent measure of success, they stay with what works until they have to conform to a new rule or style. And if the want or need a "particular type of player (shooter, baseline player, hi-post, etc) they will take a player strictly based on fit.

A perfect example of this was Diamond Desheilds,,under college Warlick, never consistently great,,,,under pro coaching, a USA Olympic consideration...

another example brought up by someone earlier is Kortney Dunbar:

Yes, about as much as the team NEEDED Kortney Dunbar and Sydney Smallbone back in the day, and Darby has a fraction of their talent. One dimensional shooters aren't difficult to find...
If this CHW had used KD to her strengths, she would have launched 3's by the tune of 6-7 a game in a perfect hi-lo player-situation and she should have defended against PF's in the low post (Kortney didn't have the footspeed to keep up with opposing guards but she had enough size, a ton of heart and no fear in defending other team's toughs).
Kortney was a great shooter that was only used as an "emergency brake". Every time she went in it was either a 3 needed to give us a chance to win or when the game was thoroughly decided). As a player, you would think those two environments would be exciting(game-sinning shot), or, easy (easy playing time)...but the opposite is true....One shot or series of shots, with no pre in-that-game barrometer is mind-numbing and going in for garbage time and trying to "show the coach" you deserve more PT,,,,is like showing a weightlifting coach you can lift a gym bag.

Sydney Smallbone ... I remember the name.......

What you all fail to realize and understand is that Tennessee NEEDS a Tess Darby. How many times did teams pack in a 2-3 zone in the Warlick era and dare us to shoot the ball, and we did.... and got beat by 20... Tess shot over 35% from 3 on the Nike EYBL circuit with one of the top travel programs in the country. This kid WILL get playing time at Tennessee.
We had many three point shooters. But we also has a coach who didn't seem to think the 3 was a weapon and would publicly call 3's and missed shots as,, bad shots.

YOU shoot your best shot, with that type of environment!

Volfan2012

Darby looks athletic to me has a really good handle and can shoot it. She has some really terrific moves around the basket. Also has some quickness and at least five division one offers. She is not small 6'1" has the size to play in any league. She took a huge jump in improvement over the summer and was just named one of the four top players at a training clinic in Nashville. The point being players improve they get better and nothing about her basketball skills that says she can't play and play very well in the SEC.

krossover

Last edited:
the "radar" for identifying talent that will continue to increase is usually summer teams - ages 13-14. for 2020 the players are just beginning their last season of high school. I don't find it unusual that there will be players at 15-16 who at that age were good but not skilled enough for ...

Similarly, there are players who are the most athletic at age 15-16 but never sufficiently improve during their career in college.

Summary, I am not competent to be more that a LV fan.

Volfan2012

Yes, about as much as the team NEEDED Kortney Dunbar and Sydney Smallbone back in the day, and Darby has a fraction of their talent. One dimensional shooters aren't difficult to find...
\
100 percent disagree that Darby has a fraction of the talent of Dunbar or Smallbone. Neither of those players had any moves toward the basket they were both stand still three point shooters. Darby certainly has moves towards the basket and quick feet to get in position to shoot her shot. She has a quick release from the moving position and her percentages speak for themselves.

2016 #CoachHemiWorkout - Tess Darby
Strengths
Needs Improvement
Darby is a guard with great length for the position. At 6-feet tall she has the size that most players want as a forward. However, she has ball handling skill and play creating ability that a coach wants from a guard. Impressively she always displayed great instincts on the defensive end. She got her hands in the passing lanes and created turnovers for her team. She will need to improve her left hand, especially in terms of attacking the lane. That will help give her added creativity in making plays on the offensive end.

Last edited:

hammer22

2020 has a lot of good talent in the state of Tennessee. Not as good as 2018, but still pretty darn good.

Darby is probably 5-6 in the state. Obviously behind M. Hayes, Hunt, and Cardoso. Probably a step behind Waggoner and A. Hayes as well.

If Tennessee recruits the way Kellie would like to, Tess will be good for a few minutes her and there off the bench, take a couple shots, and if she gets in a rhythm, keep her in. If we add some of the G/W we want in 2021 - Rivers, Verhulst, Wolfenbarger, etc. they’ll likely play over Darby. I think she would be a terrific late add, and she may have been the best player available that Kellie could get a late start on after losing out on Hunt, Hayes, etc. and still pickup a quality player.

IMO, in the SEC, if she’s your 1-5 best player, you’re in trouble, if she’s 6-10, your gunna be pretty good.

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
Harper doesn't "like" her so much as she's settling for what's left. Regardless of whether Darby or whatever leftovers Harper signs at this point, her first recruiting class has been a colossal failure whether the fans here want to admit it or not...
What is YOUR basis for your comment? I am fearful that you have misunderstood others comments about your analytical skills.... you thought they were calling you psychic, when what they actually said was you frequently demonstrate aggressive psychotic behavior on the boards...an abundance self confidence is not always a good thing....

I will wait till she plays somewhere for a couple of years in college before I assess her abilities and make comparisons to previous players.... especially when our offer was extended this early.... long way to the last signing day and she may have her own self analysis to go through before she signs anywhere based on her desire to be a solid contributor. Good bet she does not have the level of arrogance posters often display....

Darth_Vol

\
100 percent disagree that Darby has a fraction of the talent of Dunbar or Smallbone. Neither of those players had any moves toward the basket they were both stand still three point shooters. Darby certainly has moves towards the basket and quick feet to get in position to shoot her shot. She has a quick release from the moving position and her percentages speak for themselves.
So have you actually seen her play, besides highlight clips?

PRG

Does anyone else want to slam the girl?
If it makes you feel better, step forward and get your shot in.

As for me, and many other fans of the LVs, if she chooses to come here, we welcome her here.
I have seen her play in Tennessee state tournament at MTSU ! If there is anything worth learning about recruiting. Hoopgurlz , Prospect Nation , they don’t have all recruits exactly right ! Example: Alasia Hayes ( third sister) Is not rated in top 100 by Prospect Nation !!!! She just committed to Notre Dame .... I wonder if McGraw cares ? 🤔

Tess Darby has good fundamental skills ! PERIOD.... She will be a good contributor to our team ! That is if she doesn’t read all of the professional recruiters analysis on this forum ! 😁

NoBackBoard

I have seen her play in Tennessee state tournament at MTSU ! If there is anything worth learning about recruiting. Hoopgurlz , Prospect Nation , they don’t have all recruits exactly right ! Example: Alasia Hayes ( third sister) Is not rated in top 100 by Prospect Nation !!!! She just committed to Notre Dame .... I wonder if McGraw cares ? 🤔

Tess Darby has good fundamental skills ! PERIOD.... She will be a good contributor to our team ! That is if she doesn’t read all of the professional recruiters analysis on this forum ! 😁
So we have the power to scare recruits off? Do we also have the power to get them to sign? And to select coaches?

As I have said before, any recruit who would allow anonymous posters to prevent them from attending a school they love will struggle mentally, no matter where they go.

lvocd

So we have the power to scare recruits off? Do we also have the power to get them to sign? And to select coaches?

As I have said before, any recruit who would allow anonymous posters to prevent them from attending a school they love will struggle mentally, no matter where they go.
So what you're saying is, even though you seem to realize that your anonymous comments very well COULD hurt a 16-year-old CHILD enough to sour her on Tennessee, you really don't care. You don't care if you hurt a child because your ADULT sensibilities tell you that the child must be mentally weak.

Oh, okay. I see you.

NoBackBoard

So what you're saying is, even though you seem to realize that your anonymous comments very well COULD hurt a 16-year-old CHILD enough to sour her on Tennessee, you really don't care. You don't care if you hurt a child because your ADULT sensibilities tell you that the child must be mentally weak.

Oh, okay. I see you.
No that’s not what I’m saying because I haven’t commented on her. What I’m saying is anyone as simple as to believe that just because someone posts on a board that they’re a fan of the school—because no way someone would pose as a fan to give a great school a bad image—will struggle mentally no matter where they go. Said person is extremely naive and lacks critical thinking skills. Easy to fool and deceive.

lvocd

No that’s not what I’m saying because I haven’t commented on her. What I’m saying is anyone as simple as to believe that just because someone posts on a board that they’re a fan of the school—because no way someone would pose as a fan to give a great school a bad image—will struggle mentally no matter where they go. Said person is extremely naive and lacks critical thinking skills. Easy to fool and deceive.
Wow. So now any child who is hurt by posts on message boards is “simple” to you? You are a real piece of work — almost as dumb as Dunce_Vol. That you can’t understand that you ARE saying, exactly, that you are willing to hurt children with your words because you don’t think that the feelings of any CHILD who “will struggle mentally” because she/he “lacks critical thinking skills” are worthy of your consideration, speaks volumes about you. I guess you feel like those “simple” kids are open game.

Wow.

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH

No a prospect needs to keep in perspective that every fan base has outliers that get their thrills by making negative posts about any topic of their choosing, but that is why it is important for them to see such posts challenged by the more emotionally stable majority who place a greater value on discretion and a lesser value on their ability to prognosticate success OR failure for athletes while still in HS.

Volfan2012

So have you actually seen her play, besides highlight clips?
Not in person yet plan to go up there if she commits to Tennessee as I only live 20 miles from Greenfield. What more do you need than the clips to see that she can stop and pop is not a stand still shooter and has a great handle and quick feet. Her stats say she can shoot the three effectively 39 percent over her career thus far. Since all baskets are 10 feet high no reason to believe that she can't shoot the same percentage anywhere she played. She is not a small person 6'1" tall so she is gonna be able to shoot in any league. The scouting report from Prospect Nation says she is an excellent defender so I'll take their word. I think she is certainly worth a scholarship because we need a three point shooter that isn't a defensive liability. I've seen Dunbar and Smallbone play plenty and I can tell by her film that she is far more skilled as a ball handler and has quicker foot movement than either of them ever had. Both were excellent shooters but neither could play defense and thus didn't get on the court.

She actually reminds me of Danni Williams Texas A&M and Texas guard and if she can play that well welcome to Tennessee.

Last edited:

Volfan2012

Well that explains a lot. I bet she never missed a shot!
Not all about watching what she does shooting the ball in those clips it is also her movement before the shot. Why put yourself through the misery of being a Lady Vol fan if you do not trust this coaching staff and their decisions of who they offer scholarships to . I wouldn't want to support any team that I thought wasn't doing their best to find the players they need and had a plan for that player. I lost confidence in Holly because the players were not performing like they should until they left Holly. How many of her players got a lot better in the WNBA. Until I have a reason to think otherwise I trust the decisions of the present coach and staff.

PRG

Not in person yet plan to go up there if she commits to Tennessee as I only live 20 miles from Greenfield. What more do you need than the clips to see that she can stop and pop is not a stand still shooter and has a great handle and quick feet. Her stats say she can shoot the three effectively 39 percent over her career thus far. Since all baskets are 10 feet high no reason to believe that she can't shoot the same percentage anywhere she played. She is not a small person 6'1" tall so she is gonna be able to shoot in any league. The scouting report from Prospect Nation says she is an excellent defender so I'll take their word. I think she is certainly worth a scholarship because we need a three point shooter that isn't a defensive liability. I've seen Dunbar and Smallbone play plenty and I can tell by her film that she is far more skilled as a ball handler and has quicker foot movement than either of them ever had. Both were excellent shooters but neither could play defense and thus didn't get on the court.

She actually reminds me of Danni Williams Texas A&M and Texas guard and if she can play that well welcome to Tennessee.
Agree with Danni Williams comparison. I think she has better dribbling skills . JMO

Darth_Vol

Until I have a reason to think otherwise I trust the decisions of the present coach and staff.
I'm not sure what she has done to make you think she has this amazing eye for talent. She failed at her only other Power 5 job, she's never recruited a High School All-American, never developed an All-American in college, never put a player in the WNBA, never made a deep March run (unless you count one Sweet 16 last year). You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to continue your blind trust in her, but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...

madtownvol

but when she offers a player no other SEC team wants... she still has A LOT more to prove before she earns the benefit of the doubt IMO...

So far, the LVs are the only SEC team that has offered Tess Darby but she has offers from Texas Tech, U of Illinois, Georgia Tech (Nell Fortner is new HC), West Virginia, and the list is expanding. Those schools represents the Big 10, Big 12, and ACC, which are all legit power conferences. On the downside, none of those programs have been successdful in recent years.

VN Store

Sponsors