Tennessee's top four all-time best head coaches

The top 4 are correct, Majors and Dickey could be put in either order. But I think Majors at 3 and Dickey at 4 is probably the way to go.

Reactions: timmessee
Dickey had greater success in a shorter amount of time than Majors then bolted for Florida. His teams in the late 60s and early 70s played some fierce defense, plus they had that questionable Natty.
Tough call since Majors was so well liked as a player.

Neyland....... then huge gap behind him.....

IMO--Dickey had better FB IQ than Majors--who had a higher FB IQ than Fulmer--and not trying to disrespect CPF.
Fulmer had Cut---and the best thing to happen to both of them was Peyton Manning and his recruiting prowess as a player.

I am convinced that the trajectory of the program under Dickey as HC thru the 70s and 80s would've been MUCH HIGHER.

75bfff7bd598aaba1a2a0cfc9a896b25--ut-football-tennessee-football.jpg

I think we’d all agree Neyland is 1. Interesting to think about generational gaps and differing styles of play though. Fulmer in his prime could hold his own to say the least.

Reactions: timmessee
Neyland, Fulmer, Dickey, Majors.

Neyland is in discussion of greatest coach in college football history. His defenses pitched a shutout in half of the games he coached. Fulmer won a legit National Title and Dickey won part of one at Tennessee.

Last edited:

IMO--Dickey had better FB IQ than Majors--who had a higher FB IQ than Fulmer--and not trying to disrespect CPF.
Fulmer had Cut---and the best thing to happen to both of them was Peyton Manning and his recruiting prowess as a player.

I am convinced that the trajectory of the program under Dickey as HC thru the 70s and 80s would've been MUCH HIGHER.

If Dickey had stayed, I think Tennessee would have played for the NC in 1970. He would have beat Auburn that year.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Neyland, Majors, Fulmer and Dickey.

Neyland-Automatic
Majors-Build program up for Fulmer, won three SEC championships
Fulmer-Won a natty and two SEC championships, ran the program so far into the ground we are still trying to dig out a decade later
Dickey-Brought the program back to prominence, bolted for Florida but came back to have a highly successful tenure as AD

Reactions: onevol74

Fulmer had a much better corporate Personnel mentality than Majors did. Majors biggest problem was that he was impossible to work with. My opinion of Dickey is it he was a major weasel. Probably a very good coach though.

If Dickey had stayed, I think Tennessee would have played for the NC in 1970. He would have beat Auburn that year.

Dickey had us primed for that 1970 run....and even Battle coached Dickey's players to 31-5 over the next 3 years.

He doesn’t really specify that they were great as Vol coaches, just great coaches. Majors had an NC elsewhere, so I’d think that puts him above Dickey.

Fulmer had a much better corporate Personnel mentality than Majors did. Majors biggest problem was that he was impossible to work with. My opinion of Dickey is it he was a major weasel. Probably a very good coach though.

I would agree with your comments concerning Majors and Fulmer.

I don't know much about Dickey's temperament and demeanor--but Fulmer as HC....Cut as OC.....and Dickey as AD were a dynamite combo thru the 90s....

Dickey certainly proved that he could recruit and build a NC contender as a HC while he was here...

Reactions: Backwards K
Neyland, Majors, Fulmer and Dickey.

Neyland-Automatic
Majors-Build program up for Fulmer, won three SEC championships
Fulmer-Won a natty and two SEC championships, ran the program so far into the ground we are still trying to dig out a decade later
Dickey-Brought the program back to prominence, bolted for Florida but came back to have a highly successful tenure as AD

Fulmer did not run the program into the ground. Jeez where does this stuff come from? Mike Hamilton and admins along with some boosters are to blame not CPF.

VN Store

Back