Tennessee's QB situation under Heupel

Okay, so the dude who wrote this article, Matt Howe (I never read anything by him before, I don't think), clearly seems to believe that Brian Maurer is an also-ran in the QB competition. Look at how he phrases it:

But then, Howe quotes ANOTHER dude, Chip Patterson, who wrote ANOTHER article, and in that article Patterson pretty clearly gives the early nod to Hooker in the short term, and Salter in the longer term. He says:

All taken as a whole, then, this article pretty much ranks the QB room: 2021 = 1-Hooker, 2-Bailey, 3-Maurer with Salter redshirting ... then 2022 and beyond = 1-Salter 2-everyone else.

What do you think about that? Not enough respect for Bailey? Not enough for Maurer? About right?

I'm not ready to write Bailey off yet. Will be intersting to see if he can operate and process quick enough. Honestly, I have no clue on Hooker, but I think people are expecting a Dobbs type player out of him. Word is, he has accuracy problems. Think the same applies to Maurer. I love the kid and wanted so bad for him to be the guy in 2019, but imo, he seems indecisive and panicked at the same time. But our line was not very consistent and BM had a lot going on.

Who knows what to expect out of these guys. Player regressed harshly last year. Maybe this staff brings their potential out. The good news is, we seem to have a good problem at qb

Reactions: VFL-82-JP and 1vol8
Wow. That sounds tailor made for JG.
Think he might transfer back from WSU?
Blue font
Blue font
Blue font
(For those that don’t know...Blue font means sarcasm...eg...this is not a serious post...it is a joke...I, in no way, want JG to ever play or even be around our Quarterback room.)
Still trashing a kid who is no longer here who played the best that he could. High character guy, I see.

Wow. That sounds tailor made for JG.
Think he might transfer back from WSU?
Blue font
Blue font
Blue font
(For those that don’t know...Blue font means sarcasm...eg...this is not a serious post...it is a joke...I, in no way, want JG to ever play or even be around our Quarterback room.)

VolNation upon reading and responding to your post.
dumb.gif

Oh my God.
Blue font means that I was kidding.
That it was a joke.
That it was sarcasm.
That it was not serious.
Regular posters know that.

lol I've felt that frustration before so many times. Admittedly, I tend to fail at the blue font notations occasionally.

Oh my God.
Blue font means that I was kidding.
That it was a joke.
That it was sarcasm.
That it was not serious.
Regular posters know that.
We know but bringing up JG in any post just gives people horrid flashbacks & PTSD symptoms.

Dont know, but I think at least one is gone once they see the pecking order coming out of Spring.
If the coaches are truly giving all four a shot, I don't know how much of a pecking order we will actually see coming out of spring. Depth chart will probably say Harrison Bailey OR Hendon Hooker OR Brian Maurer OR Kaidon Salter.

If the coaches are truly giving all four a shot, I don't know how much of a pecking order we will actually see coming out of spring. Depth chart will probably say Harrison Bailey OR Hendon Hooker OR Brian Maurer OR Kaidon Salter.
I’m thinking more that some are going to pick up this offense and some struggle and know whether this system is a fit. I think success is going to depend a lot more on the mind than body as all these guys seem physically capable. Personality, ability to absorb info and process. I’d say by the spring game those guys are going to have a pretty good gauge on how the Fall is going to go.

Reactions: feathersax
You see how you are getting no likes for this post? For crying out loud JG is gone. Let it go.
Just like JG Let go his throws / passes. Late and over someone head. Vols fans will never forget JG and will definitely be watching his stats for his sixth and final year of college football.

Just like JG Let go his throws / passes. Late and over someone head. Vols fans will never forget JG and will definitely be watching his stats for his sixth and final year of college football.

Vol fans who blame all on JG for our crappy performances are dumb. Why do some care what he does at Wash? He is no longer a Vol.

Blue font...three times...I said blue font.
That means sarcasm. MaJor sarcasm.
Why not type it in blue font instead of saying blue font three times? This isn't like looking in the mirror and saying RED RUM three times

Yeah we got that part lol. All jokes aside he might have turned out better in a system like this. He is so beaten down now that its a moot point, but if someone one had taught him earlier in his career the quick pitch & catch game he might of had a chance.
Unless the system is your QB being bigger than everyone else on the field and doing well due to sheer brute force, it wont work for JG.

Unless the system is your QB being bigger than everyone else on the field and doing well due to sheer brute force, it wont work for JG.
I dont know about all that. Talent was never that kids problem if we are going to be 100% unbiased about it. He has a cannon and could certainly be successful in the downfield passing game if u gave him a scheme advantage. We all know he could process an offense he will be playing in his 5th offense this season. I just think he took way to many hits early on and now he see's the demons. The kid was talented he just needed the right OC. What u saw in those final 2-3yrs or so was a direct result of the early parts of his career.

I dont know about all that. Talent was never that kids problem if we are going to be 100% unbiased about it. He has a cannon and could certainly be successful in the downfield passing game if u gave him a scheme advantage. We all know he could process an offense he will be playing in his 5th offense this season. I just think he took way to many hits early on and now he see's the demons. The kid was talented he just needed the right OC. What u saw in those final 2-3yrs or so was a direct result of the early parts of his career.
But the key in this offense is quick reads and get rid of the ball quickly. that is the one thing JG was terrible at.

VN Store

Back