Tennessee's QB situation under Heupel

VolForLife83

Tennessee's QB situation under new head coach Josh Heupel

Alex Golesh
“I think so much of this offense revolves around the quarterback and being able to manage it, being able to operate within the system. It happens really fast, and really that’s across the board at every position. You’ve got to be able to process information quickly. You’ve got to be able to process defensive looks quickly, so I think at the quarterback position particularly, who can grasp it the quickest, who can operate within the system and who can excel within the system"

Alex Golesh
“I think so much of this offense revolves around the quarterback and being able to manage it, being able to operate within the system. It happens really fast, and really that’s across the board at every position. You’ve got to be able to process information quickly. You’ve got to be able to process defensive looks quickly, so I think at the quarterback position particularly, who can grasp it the quickest, who can operate within the system and who can excel within the system"

Wow. That sounds tailor made for JG.
Think he might transfer back from WSU?
Blue font
Blue font
Blue font
(For those that don’t know...Blue font means sarcasm...eg...this is not a serious post...it is a joke...I, in no way, want JG to ever play or even be around our Quarterback room.)

Last edited:
Oh my God.
Blue font means that I was kidding.
That it was a joke.
That it was sarcasm.
That it was not serious.
Regular posters know that.
I don't think that's the issue most will have with your post.Most are ready to move on and let JG do the same.No need to keep dragging what seemed to be a good kid through the mud.

Wow. That sounds tailor made for JG.
Think he might transfer back from WSU?
Blue font
Blue font
Blue font
(For those that don’t know...Blue font means sarcasm...eg...this is not a serious post...it is a joke...I, in no way, want JG to ever play or even be around our Quarterback room.)
Yeah we got that part lol. All jokes aside he might have turned out better in a system like this. He is so beaten down now that its a moot point, but if someone one had taught him earlier in his career the quick pitch & catch game he might of had a chance.

Alex Golesh
You know... it is becoming harder and harder for me not to pull for Maurer simply because of the way these media jackasses dismiss him.... I just want UT to have good QB play but they make me want it to be BM.

Reactions: txbo and 1vol8
Okay, so the dude who wrote this article, Matt Howe (I never read anything by him before, I don't think), clearly seems to believe that Brian Maurer is an also-ran in the QB competition. Look at how he phrases it:
The Vols will...have a new starting quarterback under center in the 2021 season. Virginia Tech quarterback Hendon Hooker transferred to Tennessee and will likely compete with four-star sophomore Harrison Bailey and four-star freshman Kaidon Salter. Junior Brian Maurer is also on the roster.

But then, Howe quotes ANOTHER dude, Chip Patterson, who wrote ANOTHER article, and in that article Patterson pretty clearly gives the early nod to Hooker in the short term, and Salter in the longer term. He says:
While Salter clearly is going to be an important piece of Tennessee's future on offense, ... he might not be ready to take over in 2021. That's where Hooker, with 15 starts over the past two seasons at Virginia Tech, might end up being the answer for the immediate future.”

All taken as a whole, then, this article pretty much ranks the QB room: 2021 = 1-Hooker, 2-Bailey, 3-Maurer with Salter redshirting ... then 2022 and beyond = 1-Salter 2-everyone else.

What do you think about that? Not enough respect for Bailey? Not enough for Maurer? About right?

Okay, so the dude who wrote this article, Matt Howe (I never read anything by him before, I don't think), clearly seems to believe that Brian Maurer is an also-ran in the QB competition. Look at how he phrases it:

But then, Howe quotes ANOTHER dude, Chip Patterson, who wrote ANOTHER article, and in that article Patterson pretty clearly gives the early nod to Hooker in the short term, and Salter in the longer term. He says:

All taken as a whole, then, this article pretty much ranks the QB room: 2021 = 1-Hooker, 2-Bailey, 3-Maurer with Salter redshirting ... then 2022 and beyond = 1-Salter 2-everyone else.

What do you think about that? Not enough respect for Bailey? Not enough for Maurer? About right?
This guy’s a fan.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

A lot of ignorant speculation and yeah a ton of disrespect for those two and some unearned respect for Salter.

I've been pro-Salter for a long time. I have said and still believe that he has a higher ceiling that HB. But he has a LONG way to go before he needs to be on the field against SEC competition. He has a good arm, not great. Some of what he does running in HS isn't going to translate against faster competition. He holds the ball too low and has a little bit of a wind up like JG.

Just based on real playing experience, I think Hooker has an advantage going in. But HB is a bright guy who may pick up the mental part as fast or faster than the rest. Maurer played better when they had a game plan that snapped the ball quick and focused on getting the ball out quick... exactly what this O wants.

The O will ultimately run on decisions more than arms or legs. That was the clear message from the press conferences. I look forward to the competition but not so much these media clowns.

I am liking Bailey a lot in this offense. He makes quick decisions and is pinpoint when he has time. I thought his leash was too short at the end of the season. So if we can run an up tempo offense that challenges defense across the field and vertically, I think an accurate passer with a good group of receivers is a killer. Don't have to worry about the offensive line pass protecting for too long, I really like this offense and think it is going to work in the SEC and Neyland is going to be a party again!

Those four QBs won’t all be there in the Fall.

Reactions: tnutater

VN Store

Back