Tennessee will host Troy in 2020

Why not? We play 2 tough OOC opponents in OU (sure loss) and Troy.....and Charlotte beat the flying F out of us last year everywhere except the scoreboard (barely). We’re one of the worst college football programs in the country right now and desperately need wins....I’m good with the schedule.
We need wins but not against teams like Charlotte and Furman

Why not? We play 2 tough OOC opponents in OU (sure loss) and Troy.....and Charlotte beat the flying F out of us last year everywhere except the scoreboard (barely). We’re one of the worst college football programs in the country right now and desperately need wins....I’m good with the schedule.
Can't argue with that...I'm good with it too.

I'd like to see FSU and Miami too, neither of them is a certain L at this point or any in the future, definitely not FSU right now. They were as bad as we were last year.

We would’ve beaten FSU last year. Probably by 2 scores. That’s bad. Willie better get it together or he’s gone after this season I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Better statement is “why the hell are we, as a team who’s won 9 games and 2 conference games the last year’s, scheduling a dominant Oklahoma program while we’re in the middle of trying to get back to even being competitive with freaking Vanderbilt?”
My answer.. it'll be CJP's 3rd season. That is enough time. Check out Bama the season after they lost to Louisiana Monroe.
CJP's recruiting has been good, and we should be able to give OU a good game by next year.. Perhaps even an upset. Senior QB... Who knows..
Those who know we've been down, act like we will always be down. I disagree.

Oklahoma will actually make us better. Charlotte and Furman won’t do that

This. PLUS, and honestly it should not be a plus but a major issue, is that the season is supposed to be FUN! Seems like people have totally forgotten that. We all want to get to a bowl, but I also like to enjoy the games in season. Playing a weak ass OOC schedule is not fun. We end up giving our tickets away to these (and sometimes can't give them away). I'm going to try and enjoy the season more this year, and I encourage everyone to also. I'm bad about forgetting that this is for fun lol.

This. PLUS, and honestly it should not be a plus but a major issue, is that the season is supposed to be FUN! Seems like people have totally forgotten that. We all want to get to a bowl, but I also like to enjoy the games in season. Playing a weak ass OOC schedule is not fun. We end up giving our tickets away to these (and sometimes can't give them away). I'm going to try and enjoy the season more this year, and I encourage everyone to also. I'm bad about forgetting that this is for fun lol.
If you can't have fun while winning by 40, you're doing it wrong.

I've said before, I'd like to see us play one OOC power 5 in Neyland every year. I think if the play-off expands it'll be beneficial to beef up our OOC schedule. Some of the other schools, namely Florida, Georgia, and USCjr are doing it already, all 3 are playing 2 power 5 OOC's this year and have plans in the future to play 3. We haven't played 2 since 2003. We could add some games that would fit that bill that we could likely win AND get exposure in states we need to recruit, I am thinking home and homes with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Maryland, etc.
I heard on the radio the other day that Florida hasn’t played a non-conference road game outside the state of Florida since 1991. That’s insane!

Maybe so. But street cred shouldnt earn you the schedules that they had. It was crazy.
What years? The last 10 years they’ve scheduled a quality ooc Power 5 team every year. This coming year is likely the weakest scheduled they’ve had. I don’t like Bama either but they do play some quality teams ooc.

I heard on the radio the other day that Florida hasn’t played a non-conference road game outside the state of Florida since 1991. That’s insane!
That's true, they are playing FSU and Miami this year. They have played neutral site games outside of the State, like against Michigan and I think they also have some stuff scheduled. South Carolina is playing North Carolina and Clemson this year. Georgia is playing Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. Kirby is going crazy with it. They are picking back up with Clemson in a few years and are playing Texas, Clemson, and Georgia Tech all OOC in the same year. I think they've also got FSU and Oklahoma scheduled. I think getting that wild might backfire, but as a fan, I'd like to see us go to 2 not 3, with at least 1 being some of those teams I mentioned that we should beat, but would be good exposure in states we need to recruit well.

Last edited:
What years? The last 10 years they’ve scheduled a quality ooc Power 5 team every year. This coming year is likely the weakest scheduled they’ve had. I don’t like Bama either but they do play some quality teams ooc.
They hardly ever play more than 1 per year though. When you see Florida, S. Carolina or Georgia playing an unusual power 5, that's always their 2nd P5 team, because they always have the OOC in state rival. That's one reason I've thought A&M was weak to drop Texas, these others have played their OOC rival for years.

Reactions: Mike Moffett
Bama got like four cupcakes on their schedule for years. I'll take some easy wins.
Bama almost always plays a very good team from a Power 5 conference, every year, usually to start the season. Very much like we do. The only reason their schedule is weakened is by playing us every year.

We need wins but not against teams like Charlotte and Furman
You kidding? Maybe you’ve missed it, but we can’t get wins against freaking Vanderbilt, so if we don’t play teams like Charlotte, Furman, North Texas abd ETSU, we ain’t getting any wins.

We play 3 top 10-15 teams every year (Bama, Georgia and Florida), most years a very good SECW opponent and 1 good P5 OOC team. Our schedule is fine imo....if anything, until we’re not the 13th or 14th best team in the SEC, we need more of a pasty OOC schedule. For instance, we have no freaking business playing Oklahoma next year, none.

Go play KState or Iowa or NCstate or somebody like that, a tier 2 P5 team. Just no reason to play a perennial playoff team right now just so we can get our heads bashed in and embarrassed on National television again

Once we get good again,if we actually ever do, THEN go schedule teams like OU 2-3 years out to a home and home. But right now, it does the program ZERO good.

A year and a half as a member of Volnation, and you've appointed yourself as chief of the true fan police. Go away, newbie.
Just like the rest of your posts no knowledge of anything. You have no idea do you?? Its actually funny. Good fan you are.

I think UT could play 2 OOC games against Power 5 teams every year and it will be a coaching rematch between Lindsey and Pruitt when Troy plays UT in 2020.

Gotta agree with KB on this one..We already got enuff on our hands with the sec schedule.Playing Oklahoma is fine,the other games could be better but at this point its well pointless.Once we get our sh*t together over next two years then I’m all for it especially if we’re competing for the Sec or National Champ.We should improve this year and 2020 really get rolling,but sum as always wil have sky high expectations.

Reactions: volfaninky
That's true, they are playing FSU and Miami this year. They have played neutral site games outside of the State, like against Michigan and I think they also have some stuff scheduled. South Carolina is playing North Carolina and Clemson this year. Georgia is playing Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. Kirby is going crazy with it. They are picking back up with Clemson in a few years and are playing Texas, Clemson, and Georgia Tech all OOC in the same year. I think they've also got FSU and Oklahoma scheduled. I think getting that wild might backfire, but as a fan, I'd like to see us go to 2 not 3, with at least 1 being some of those teams I mentioned that we should beat, but would be good exposure in states we need to recruit well.
Good grief. Texas, Clemson, and GA Tech!? That’s insane! I bet they end up canceling one of those but maybe not. That would take some big brass ones to play those 3 ooc games. I do like us playing Power 5 ooc and would be good with 2 each year since we only play 8 conference games.

They hardly ever play more than 1 per year though. When you see Florida, S. Carolina or Georgia playing an unusual power 5, that's always their 2nd P5 team, because they always have the OOC in state rival. That's one reason I've thought A&M was weak to drop Texas, these others have played their OOC rival for years.
I agree with that. I just didn’t think it is accurate to say they play 4 cupcakes as I can’t remember a year where they did so. I’m sure there has been one but it has been a while.

Selfishly, I want an overall competent group of people to govern college football and create universal rules for all P5 conferences. I want an 8 team Playoff, 9 conference games , 2 P5 OOC and 1 cupcake for homecoming or a break in the middle of the year.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

VN Store

Back